1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Best Platform for Next Sparklecaster?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Hockey Rocker, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Hockey Rocker

Hockey Rocker Former Member

Hey guys. I'm gearing up for my winter '07-'08 mod and I'd like to give the Sparklecaster another go. I had some luck with a Squier '51 and learned some things along the way, both from my own mistakes and from information found here and elsewhere on the net. Thanks for the help.

Basically, I want to find a good Telecaster candidate for a Sparkle job. I want to end up with something that plays at least as well as my MIM Standard. I'll shoot gold with holographic flashes this time, I think. I would love to find a Fender Telecaster with a slightly (or more than slightly) abused body. Rosewood board would be nice, as I already own a Standard Telecaster with maple, but I'm open. I'm looking for a value. $300 max for the body and neck. I can worry about the hardware and electronics in a few months if need be. It would be nice to get it all in one shot, but I'm open.

Any thoughts that beat my current M.O. of trolling Ebay for an angry young punk's unwanted Tele? Thanks.

2. Rizo

Rizo Tele-Afflicted

Just try to score a used MIM tele... surely they can be had for less than 3 bills. I paid $350 for one new a while back. Maybe try for white because it would be easier to paint over.

3. nokaster

nokaster Tele-Holic

unfinished body from for instance guitarmill = 160 $
    nitro finished allparts neck TRNF from for instance relicmasters = 160 $
    (unfinished is even cheaper)
    that's 320 $ and a clean slate to work on...
    all the other parts can be found pretty cheap and you'll get to decide what you put on it yourself... (instead of using hardware and electronics that you get with the second hand tele)
    a little more expensive maybe, but could turn out better... more like your ideal guitar... no sanding of an old finish either...

4. spankdplank

spankdplank Tele-Afflicted

How about a Squier Standard Tele for about $200. There is a guy selling sparklecasters on Ebay (Tony DeLucago??) that frequestly uses these Squiers as his platform. His results look outstanding. A $5 can of Deft to shoot the neck in nitro, $60 for a set of Keystone pickups and $30 for a vintage bridge and you there for about $300.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.