Best place to check out tele's in DC, MD, NYC, Charlotte?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by klasher, Feb 19, 2019.

1. klasher

klasher Tele-Holic

I'm going to be travelling a bit for work over the next few months, and wanted to take the opportunity to find some good places to try out tele's. What are the best places to try out tele's in DC/Baltimore area, NYC/northern Jersey, and Charlotte, NC? Looking for some places that typically have a pretty wide variety of tele's both new and used. Like Baja's, MIM, fender 50s series, etc. Thanks!

2. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

DC= action music, atomic music

JJOVa likes this.
  3. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

Yes action music in DC. Also Foxes music, close to Action, often has some interesting guitars in stock.

klasher and JJOVa like this.
  4. Archtop Bill

Archtop Bill Tele-Meister

Two hours from Charlotte you can hit Heyday Music in Asheville. As a bonus, Moog is a block or so up the street from Heyday.

5. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

In addition to the mentioned..
    Bills Music in Baltimore (Catonsville) and Chuck Levin's (Washington Music) in the DC area (Wheaton) both have a deep selection of Tele's. Just outside of DC (Gaithersburg) is Victor Litz which usually has some interesting Fenders in general. In Towson ( near Baltimore) is Ryan Fowlers they are not a Fender dealer but usually have a few T-Types from Suhr and Nash. There is very little in NYC I can't find closer to home for less, however there are a few vintage stores that are interesting. Retro Fret in Brooklyn, and Rivington in Manhattan are worth a visit, Rudy's usually has some new Tele's and can have some neat vintage things. I haven't been to 30th st. in some time, but they usually have some Fenders. There are a number of Guitar Centers near all these cities, their used walls can surprise you. Same for the Sam Ash stores in NYC. I see you are in Harrisburg.. Links Music in Hanover (Southern York County hour or so from you) is a Fender dealer and usually has some nice Tele's in stock, good selection of amps too..

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    boris bubbanov likes this.
  6. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

The Guitar Center in Rockville, MD is a flagship store. Lots of high end products. You won’t find a larger one until you hit NYC. Chuck Levin has limited display space so ask if you do see something you want and they will bring it out. The two stores are about 15 minutes apart and both have parking.

7. klasher

klasher Tele-Holic

thanks for the reminder about Links, I completely forgot about that one. I knew about Bill's, that's a good place. Thanks for the suggestions everybody, this definitely helps!

Archtop Bill likes this.
  8. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Holic

Not NYC - but right across the GW Bridge is a Guitar Center that always used to have great used stuff. Again not NYC but the Guitar Centers on LI also have great used stuff. Note that I havent been to either one Since around 2006.

I lived in Charlotte recently for almost 2 years. I never identified any memorable guitar stores. Note that the actual city of Charlotte is not a shopping area. Practically all shopping is in the suburbs.

9. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

ickylick likes this.
  10. Intubator

Intubator Tele-Meister

Bawlmer, MD- Home of the "Mayor Shuffle"...
    In Baltimore area close to I-95:
    Bills Music House
    Guitar Exchange (across street from Bill's)

11. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Holic

I cant tell you how much stuff I bought at Guitar Exchange back in the 80's and 90's. I actually didnt know it was still there.

Bruce let me try the Dumbles several times.

12. ickylick

ickylick Tele-Holic

Some/Many of those shops have been subpar over the years (Guitars are not, if at all cared for). Every so often I stop by a GC or Sam Ash when I'm in Long Island and I honestly wouldn't waste my time going to LI to check them out. The Platinum & Vintage room in the Manhattan GC locations offer a better experience IMO.

13. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Guitar Exchange and Atomic. Both do mail order so they could ship the guitar you choose to buy back to you.

14. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Holic

Sounds like we would be looking for different things. At the LI Guitar Centers I was always looking for neglected or obscure used items that could be bought at low prices. The last few things I remember buying at GC in LI were a Ed Roman custom strat "Pearlcaster" with a bowed neck and no case for ~$400. List was about $3200 - it had all his options. I got it home, whipped out the allen wrench and bobs your uncle.

I got a Silver Deluxe reverb that needed work (I still have it) and a 50's Gibson GA40T in mint condition that I later sold for about $1K more than I paid for it.

I doubt if there would be anything in a Manhattan Platinum room I would want to pay for.

Of course in the past few years, I havent seen anything used at a Guitar Center that looked interesting.

15. ickylick

ickylick Tele-Holic

I actually do shop for used/ neglected guitars. I just mentioned the Platinum & vintage rooms in the Manhattan locations bc those locations tend to have a larger/better used selection for OP to try + they’ll always have a Baja, hopefully one that isn’t dry with sharp frets like the ones in LI (YMMV). What I mean by better is just the condition the store and inventory is kept in.

mgreene likes this.
  16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I think from a Logistics standpoint, the Guitar Center locations North and South of Baltimore, and the GC location west of and south of District of Columbia are going to get you more sheer volume in terms of guitars, decent parking, not so bad congestion, and getting the amp or guitar back to Harrisburg will be the most trouble free. Or that was my personal experience, 2011-2016.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.