Best place for vintage amp parts

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by The Grim Peeper, Jan 14, 2020.

1. The Grim Peeper

The Grim Peeper Tele-Holic

I need a fuse for a 65 fender baseman and fuses for a 74 Marshall 50 watt head. I also need a set of 6550s and some preamp tubes. Is there a good online place to get all of it cheap?

2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Try Antique Electronic Supply (tubesandmore.com)
    I've bought from them in the past.....their selection of stuff surprised me.

3. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Any hardware store will have the fuses - they aren't special, but you do want slow-blow.

AES is good - I get tons of stuff from there. Tubes I usually go to tubedepot.

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. The Grim Peeper

So just 250v 10amp slow blow?

5. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

AES/tubesandmore/amplified parts. Same company, different internet store fronts. Great company. I highly recommend them. Mojotone is another, but their selection is a bit limited on individual components.

AES/amplified has an excellent tube selection, btw. Lowest prices I've seen, too.

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. corliss1

I'm not aware of any guitar amp needing a 10A fuse on the mains.

Bassman uses a 2A slow blow. JMP/JCM series 50W Marshalls have a 3A slow blow.

If those amps have never been serviced you owe it to them to get that work done by a tech.

nojazzhere, telemnemonics and Wally like this.
  7. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Mad Science Works (Raleigh, NC) it's been a couple years since I used him.

8. The Grim Peeper

Yeah the bassman and the 74 Marshall was serviced by the famous Bob K. He did the ab864 convo on the fender. But he retired. I’m looking for a new tech. Ok so the fenders take 2A and Marshall 3A both 250 slo blo?

9. corliss1

Yes

Wally likes this.
  10. The Grim Peeper

Ok thanks I’m also considering doing the piggyback mod so I can use EL34s instead of 6550s. Does anyone have a any knowledge on how to do that. I did it on a jcm800 one time and it worked great. But it was a long time ago.

11. corliss1

I wouldn't recommend that you make any mods to the amp. There's high voltage stored in there even when it's unplugged so you need a bit of experience before jumping in. You'd also need to adjust the bias most likely, which also involved live voltages. With the questions that have been asked so far, it doesn't sound like you're ready for that. That isn't meant to be offensive, but it's meant to help keep you safe and aware of the dangers.

If you want to start getting into working on amps, do it!!!! But do some homework first. I frequently recommend this book for starting out as is explains what each part does:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/148039288X/?tag=tdpri-20

12. The Grim Peeper

Yeah I have bias probes and I’ve done it a few times. It’s just been a couple years. I had a stroke of good luck. And boom now I got three soldiers down. I have so many vintage amps that I forget what was done what. Once I got into traynors my collection kinda got out of control.

telemnemonics likes this.
  13. The Grim Peeper

image.jpg

14. The Grim Peeper

All they have is 2A and 7A. Will the 2A work in the Marshall?

15. corliss1

2A would likely work. I'm not sure if there's enough inrush current on that amp to blow on startup, but worse you can do is try it and find out. It won't hurt anything.

16. The Grim Peeper

Thanks. Yep 2 out of 3 dead soldiers back to life. Still researching how to do the EL34s conversion. I remember there is two ways. One involve a multi resistor change and there’s a half ass piggy back way.

telemnemonics likes this.
  17. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm guessing by the piggy back mod you mean adding one resistor in parallel with a resistor in the bias circuit near the bias pot on the Marshall PCB, as detailed in a Gerald Weber book?
    I did that in circa 1990 to a mid '70s 100w Marshall and biased by ear and eye with no problems.

Better to err on the side of caution though if you're not messing around inside tube amps all the time.
    I started sticking my fingers in tube amp wiring/ where they didn't belong circa 1980 but had been taught this and that as a kid about live wires and such.
    The internet imparts bravery quicker than wisdom!
    Be careful...

A give away on how ready you are to mod tube amps might be suggeting a 10a fuse for a Marshall or Bassman.
    10 amps is a lot of amps in tube amps!

corliss1 likes this.
  18. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Sucks to have a dead amp over a fuse but bear in mind that the fuse doesn't generally wear out, so if it blew there is likely something else wrong. Never install a bigger fuse when an amp blows the rated fuse.

AFAIK!
    Which isn't much...

corliss1 likes this.
  19. The Grim Peeper

Yeah that’s what I figured the2A worked fine in the 800 that blew a fuse. But with my jmp is the one that blew a 6550. To be done right it’s 4 resistors but there’s a piggyback method to increase the bias range. The only reason I really want to do this is because I have no 6550s on hand but I have like four matched pairs of EL34. Maybe I’m just being a cheap bastard. But I’m also lazy. Also I did a lot of the wiring in my basement so it maybe the reason this happens. If I keep blowing them I’ll have to take a flower look at my house wiring.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.