Best Pickups for my Taste

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by stephenc498, Feb 25, 2019.

1. stephenc498

stephenc498 TDPRI Member

Hey all! This is my first post on the telecaster forum, I’m excited to get my first Tele! I’ve been playing guitar over two years now but have just been bumming off of my brothers old ones, so I’ve decided it’s time I grab my own. We just finished building him an ES-335 so I learned a lot about making a guitar and decided I’d get a cheap SX Furrian and switch everything out to the parts I want. Currently on the list of things is a Bigsby, new brass saddles, tusq nut, and original vintage pickups. I heard the SX pots are actually usable, but I may soon swap the tuners for lockers (as I’ll have a bigsby). Before I order the pickups though I’d like some input and advice. There are so many to listen to so just to get some suggestions!

I really like the Tele sound, but not necessarily intense twang. I like the warm tones with a wider range and the Tele quack/twang (just not backwoods twang) and listen to a lot of John Mayer, country (brothers Osborne, Keith urban style guitar playing). I may dabble in some mellower Gary Clark Jr and Outlaw Stapleton stuff as well.

Any pickup suggestions would be well appreciated!!

Thank you guys!

2. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

51 Nocaster bridge pickups have got girth and a nice gritty mid range. Can even twang if you like.:)

stephenc498 likes this.
  3. Buckaroo

Buckaroo Tele-Meister

If I read correctly you are building a Tele?

Twisted Tele pickups are what I like. If you get good sounding, resonant wood to start with, you will eventually find the best sounding pups for your wood. The best part of buying a new Tele is that you can hear what the whole package sounds like before you buy it.

stephenc498 likes this.
  4. stephenc498

stephenc498 TDPRI Member

I am indeed building a Tele. I’m gonna give those a listen! If it helps at all the wood is American Alder. I’d love to buy new but just can’t justify the money for the kind of parts I’d like

5. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I’m a big believer in Cavalier pickups. The proprietor is a member here. They are a tremendous value. Just Google Cavalier Pickups. Rob is a great resource for input as to which ones would be best for what you’re looking to do.

ezra1 and TeleTown like this.
  6. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Reach out to Cavalier Pickups or Sunday Handwound Pickups. Both are reasonably priced and Rob or Tim can point you in the right direction. And both build exceptional pickups.

ezra1 and 8barlouie like this.
  7. stephenc498

stephenc498 TDPRI Member

Thanks for the suggestions! I reached out to Rob. I found Tims website but can’t find any contact info, do you know how to get in touch with him?

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  8. stephenc498

stephenc498 TDPRI Member

I contacted rob and fell in love with what he recommended. Thanks for the advice!

8barlouie and El Tele Lobo like this.
  9. El Tele Lobo

10. El Tele Lobo

You can't go wrong with Cavaliers. I love Rob's pickups!

stephenc498, TeleTown and 8barlouie like this.
  11. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I want to try Rob's Cavalier pickups myself. I've heard nothing but good about them, and I've heard nothing but good in demo videos of them.

I have 3 brands of tele pickups in my 4 teles. They all work for me, but in order of preference from the least to the greatest: Wilkinson; Bill Lawrence Keystones; DiMarzio Twang Kings. Of FMIC pickups, I really like Twisted Teles. To me, they're a lot like my favorites, the Twang Kings.

stephenc498 likes this.
  12. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

If you want a warmer sound go for Alnico111 pickups are more rounded than AlnicoV.
    Both Tonerider and Cavalier make these and probably a lot of other brands.

stephenc498 likes this.
  13. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

I have no firm recommendation for the bridge..Don't really use the bridge all that much, but the Rose Bourbon neck pickup is hand's down the sweetest neck pickup I've ever played..

14. stephenc498

stephenc498 TDPRI Member

Thanks everybody so much for the recommendations! Rob suggested his Nashville Lion bridge and Lion king Neck. I love the Nashville Lion bridge as it’s got the typical Tele twang but also a pushed smooth mid range, but kind of prefer the lioness tone over the lion king on the neck. I’m torn between the Lioness and the Fat Lioness...

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  15. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

The Tele was conceived to provide a warm neck tone and a bright & crisp bridge tone, giving an interesting, middle-position, combination of the two.

Tele neck pickups are almost all comparatively 'warm' toned. That part will be easy-peasy for you. Twang King, Lion King, yada yada.

When it comes to the bridge pickup, look for ones with DCR values of 9 to 11k; offering the higher-resistance, warm-toned, middle-emphasized bridge pickup. Good places to start for that are Cavalier Fat Lion (9.2k), or the warmer version, Cavalier Huge Lion (11.2k).

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    stephenc498 likes this.
  16. stephenc498

stephenc498 TDPRI Member

Does anyone have any input as to a comparison between the Nashville Lion/Lion King set and the fender original vintage pickups?

17. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Meister

Agreed. There is a good youtube site linked to Robs site that demos all of their pickups. I went with Fat Lion King/Fat Lion.

8barlouie likes this.
  18. El Tele Lobo

I have a Nashville in my #1. One of the best tele pickups I've played. I've never played either Lioness, but from demos, the Lioness sounds more stratty and the Fat Lioness sounds...well, even better. I heard something a little crunchy and almost P90ish in the Nashville/Fat Lioness combo. Check out these demos:

I don't think you could go wrong with either of these.

stephenc498 and DHart like this.
  19. stephenc498

stephenc498 TDPRI Member

One final question. Has anybody heard the Tex Mex pickups? What are yalls opinions?

20. ezra1

ezra1 TDPRI Member

The Tex Mex are ok.
    There is more variety in the Cavilier line for very affordable prices.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.