Best pickup selector replacement for an Epiphone Les Paul?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by RoscoeElegante, Apr 21, 2019.

1. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Hey, all.

Just a simple problem. My Epi Les Paul's pickup selector switch has gone wonky. Ya gotta wiggle or even knock it to get the bottom selection (just the bridge pickup) to work at all. And then it goes in and (mostly) out as it wishes. May need just re-soldering. But assuming that the solders are okay and it's just worn out, and since it's a fairly cheap stock piece that's 15 yrs. old now, what's the best brand and/or type to replace it? It's just the standard 3-way one. Not changing any wiring, so I'll stick w/ that. Would like the best quality, as switching between lead and rhythm sounds is key to how I play it. (By the way, I love this guitar.)

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  2. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Afflicted

Hey man. It sounds like the ragged-a$$ switch is just dirty. Shoot some CLP (used for guns) or silicon spray down in it and work it back and forth. If you just have to have a new switch, switch craft probably has your item. Made in USA. Check with Stew Mac.

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  3. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

Mine has been doing the exact same...finally ordered the switchcraft short toggle. All reports suggest it’s simply the best one on the market, but be wary you’ll need to solder it a bit differently. Dozens of YouTube examples

4. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

My SG switch got funny , intermittent cutting out, stuff like that. I just bent the ends a little bit, it's been fine ever since. That was a few years ago

5. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

LP style switches get worn out quick on some guitars by the player doing the rapid switching effect. Or it's just a cheap switch. Replace it with a Switchcraft from Stewmac or similar supply house.

RoscoeElegante and Chunkocaster like this.
  6. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Another vote for Switchcraft. I think you might need a new tip as well if the new switch doesn't come with one. Different threads, metric epi / imperial switchcraft.

7. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

No, they're really crap, spray might not work. The blades are really thin and get bent out of shape. Happened to mine after a month or so, could not fix it with needle nose pliers.

8. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

+1 on the Switchcraft, that's what Gibson puts in their USA guitars....and not that expensive!

9. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

An upgrade in quality would be the classic long-straight Switchcraft (though you can use the short-straight one too, if you prefer). I don't remember if you have to ream the body hole and washer hole a bit, or if the stock Epi switch is actually bigger.

A metric replacement usually doesn't have a brand name attached to it at guitar parts retailers. It just looks like a more cheaply made version of the Switchcraft type. You probably want one of these if you wish to re-use your original switch tip (so that the age of the plastic matches your pickup rings and switch washer).

You can get both types here: http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/electrical_toggleswitches.htm.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  10. mikecorey

mikecorey TDPRI Member

Same problem. Switchcraft.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.