1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Best pedalboard tuner?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by backalleyblues, Feb 15, 2016.

1. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

It's been awhile since I've been here, just been out there in the world living...

Anywho, last weekend my Korg Pitchblack tuner decided to go south on the gig-not sure exactly what happened, but it appears not to be the switch (I saw the video on rebuilding the switch, tried it, still not working). I didn't have time to get to a store to buy a new tuner, but I finally do have time today... so what is everybody using for a pedalboard tuner these days? I'm looking hard at the Boss TU-3, but I'm open to other suggestions, except for the Pitchblack...

Things that I NEED from a tuner-

1) Chromatic
    2) Muting capability (I like to use it as a mute when I switch guitars)
    3) Standard compact pedal size
    4) Able to powered with a 1-Spot

True bypass is nice, but a good buffer won't bother me either-my tuner is usually at the front of my chain, and the pedals behind it are mish-mash of true bypass and buffered...

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Franc Robert

2. mitchfinck

mitchfinck Tele-Holic

I have the T.C. Electronics Polytune2 Mini, plugged into a 1-spot at the front of my signal chain.

I like it a lot.

3. Deckard

Deckard Tele-Afflicted

Polytune Mini. Best I've used and not a gazillion dollars

4. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

Boss Tu-3 and the TC polytume mini 2 are the two I use.

5. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I have been using a BOSS TU2 for more than 30 years w/o problems,I also like the Korg pitchblack.

6. sclitheroe

sclitheroe Tele-Meister Ad Free + Supporter

Buy a cheap clip on tuner at the store today, since you need a tuner.

And then go buy a Turbo Tuner online (I don't think I've ever seen them in stores). They are as sturdy and well built as they come, and sensitive enough to also be used for intonation work - you can literally see the effect of gravity on the neck when you move the guitar from an upright orientation to laying on its back on the bench.

My personal opinion is there isn't a better tuner on the market today, for size, cost, sturdiness, and accuracy.

7. John Owen

John Owen Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Another vote for Sonic Research Turb Tuner. I have had 3 of their tuners for several years and have been very impressed. They meet all the criteria you have listed and more. Looks like they even have a mini version now. Here's a link: https://www.turbo-tuner.com/

8. Big John Studd

Big John Studd Friend of Leo's

I've been gigging with the TU-2 for several hundred gigs now. The thing is right on the money and will not seem to break. If there is a better tuner out there than the Boss TU-2, it's looking like I may never get a chance to own one.

The display on the TU-2 can be difficult (not impossible) to read in direct sunlight...I heard that has improved with the TU-3.

Also, some say there are "faster" tuners, which may be true. It takes me 30 seconds to tune my Telecaster with the TU-2...that's tuning each string once and then going back over all six to verify and fine tune. You may be able to shave a couple seconds off of that time with a "faster" tuner if this is critical.

9. telecastertodd

telecastertodd Tele-Meister

I have a regular sized TC electronics Polytune. It's bright and big enough... meaning- easy to read without my glasses!

10. ranjam

ranjam Tele-Holic

I have 'a few' pedal boards :oops: , and those two tuners usually end up on them all. The only tuner I had real trouble with was a Planet Waves. The bloody thing buzzed loudly through the amp as I muted my guitar to tune. :eek:
    I tried adding power supply filtering to the pedal, and it made no difference. This is a buzz that actually trails the strobe of the LED's, and baffles me to this day.
    Other tuners I have and sometimes use include the Mod Tone, which is pretty inexpensive and seems to work well. The DigiTech HT-2 is built like a tank. I actually have a Behringer TU300 (which I think is a TU-2 clone), but just because it was $20 and I felt in a gambling mood. It works, but just seems fragile. I still have it, and use it at home only. The Fender PT-10 seems really cheap, and on a build quality par with Dan Electro. Some Dan Electro pedals are cool, and I own quite a few, but I wouldn't buy any tuner. Nor the Fender one.
    In the end, any tuner will work. They all use the same cheap crystal, and the rest of the selling price is window dressing. Buy the one that you like the looks of, but will withstand some abuse and still work. They're all something like +2-cent or +3-cents, unless you fall for the 'more accurate' tuners. If you have a perfectly intonated guitar with a Buzz Feiten tuning system, you might appreciate the extra accuracy of something like a Polytune. ;)

11. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

My top 2...

Both have been already noted:
    1) TC Electronic Polytune (esp. for tuning outdoors)
    2) Turbotuner

12. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Boss TU-3 checks all your boxes, and has a courtesy 9V outlet to daisy chain 1 more pedal. I like mine. Buffered bypass.

13. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

I have a Polytune that seems to do the job, although the multi-string tuning always seems a tad off. Had the Pitchblack for a while, never warmed up to it. If I were to buy another it would probably be the TU-3, though the Sonic Research Turbo Tuner looks really interesting.

14. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

I use BOSS TU-2 & TU-3, Peterson StroboStomp, and Sonic Research ST-300 Turbo Tuner, and have been through others, including a Korg Pitchblack. All do the job. The Peterson and the Turbo Tuner are the best I've used. The Turbo is my fave, and satisfies the OP's stipulations better than does the StroboStomp with regard to size.

Over the weekend I gigged one of my backup boards, which contains a BOSS TU-3; it did a fine job, but I definitely missed my Turbo.

No experience with any of the TC Electronic tuners.

None of my electric guitars have Buzz Feiten shelf nut and bridge offsets. Nonetheless I prefer the Buzz Feiten offsets mode on my Peterson StroboStomp to that unit's stock default chromatic mode, for overall intonation with chords up and down the neck. Subtle difference, as any of the Peterson modes are hyper-accurate, but the BF offsets seem to favor my fretting hand pressure.

15. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

TC Polytune2 and it works well.
    I find the strobe tuner simulated function very accurate.
    Bright display, great onstage and outside in daylight.
    Works.

16. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Can gravitational waves effect your tuning by changing the scale length?

17. ranjam

ranjam Tele-Holic

That's what most repairmen have found out. They set your intonation 'on the bench', then tweak it in a sitting position. It weird, but seems to have at least some truth.

18. fuffydingo

fuffydingo Former Member

I've been using a Go Go and it's really easy to see and relatively cheap.

19. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Tele-Meister

You can't go wrong with one of these:

[​IMG]

20. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

Another vote for the Sonic Research Turbo Tuner here.
    The accuracy is unmatched. Excellent for doing setups.

We play half down - Eb tuning. This tuner is handles that beautify.
    Highly recommended.
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.