Best pedal that straddles the line between OD and distortion?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by JBFatFingers, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Straydogger

Straydogger Tele-Holic

Love the BB.

2. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

At an undisclosed secret location in Fort Worth. Passed into my possession a holy grail of overdrives. A Maxon OD808. I sold my original 1979 Tube Screamer TS808 in 2006 while under self created financial disaster (fool!) and now, post cancer and undertaking a new attempt to pursue my guitar dreams with a new life ... the original that spawned the famous Tube Screamer has come to join me in my quest. How lucky can a man get ?

maxon_OD808.jpg

PS: my phone sucks at night time focus. Also : the exchange was shrouded in mystery. That's how it's done nowadays.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    4pickupguy likes this.
  3. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

I don't know. Most of the time I use a Blues Driver of an MXR Classic Overdrive. The Rat not so much.
    A lot of it depends on the guitar and amp I have to use.
    What ever works for you is the best pedal.

4. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

I used my friend's Caveman on the weekend, for low gain and occasional boost. I'm gonna struggle giving it back to him! It was massive!!

5. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Prince of Tone. Mine worked great, until it mysteriously died. They seem to be quite reliable and loved, though, so I musta just had a lemon.

6. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

That pedal is actually a re-branded Aroma/Tomsline ABS-1, and is readily available from several sellers on Ebay. It's $22 with free shipping, direct from China. I've bought a couple of them. s-l1600.jpg

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    leonard d rock and Skydog1010 like this.
  7. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Thank you very much, let the search begin.

8. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

TC Electronics Dark Matter - heavily underrated, very versatile pedal.
    This was my main OD-pedal until I found - a Fulltone OCD. And that for a bargain price.

9. leonard d rock

leonard d rock Tele-Afflicted

OCD, BOSS OD3, DS1. OD2 is overdrive/distortion . the SD2 repotedly has a crunch channel

10. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Hay wulfenganck

I was coming in to say the same thing on the Dark Matter and you beat me to it. I'm presently using it for higher gain or distortion but it handles lower gain very well also. Presently using a older model Route 66 for my mid range OD and a Joyo Ultimate Drive for my low gain drive.

The Dark matter just pretty much fulfills my idea of a perfect distortion pedal. I get what I want.Platefire

wulfenganck likes this.
  11. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I would never try to use some OD pedals like a TS or SD-1 to try to get actual distortion tones. By extension of that, I'd never try to use a stock DS-1 for OD sounds.

IMO, in all honesty, if there's a real need for both proper OD and distorted tones, unless there was a real problem with trying to get a pedal that excels each a slot on the pedalboard, I'd certainly just go with two dedicated pedals on the board for that.

...With both my longboard and shortboards, that's the exact solution I've arrived at - different "proper" OD pedals for the OD, and a Rat on each of them for the actual distortion tones. Yes, a Rat will do OD as well, but IMO there's better choices for the OD stuff, and the Rat seems to just absolutely shine with its distortion knob set higher.

ballynally2 likes this.
  12. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Have you ever tried a Ds-1 as an OD? I’m not being confrontational or disputatious. I have used it in the past (then bought a bd2 because I wanted both OD and distortion Doring the same set and didn’t want to have to fiddle. I nearly bought a second ds1 but saw that tony joe white used a bd2 so took the plunge.

The bd2 can get a distortion sound as well. The tubescreamers sound lovely but fizz out. I know the ds1 is accused of fizzing out but you can fix that by adjusting the tone. The only other od and distortions I have are the amp sims like the guvnor and the amp sun you plug into a PA which to me are a different beast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. DugT

DugT Tele-Holic

Thanks for posting that video. It turned me into a RAT head! My Boss pedalboard has a Rat option and I like it much more than the gain I was using.

14. Gin Mill Cowboy

Gin Mill Cowboy Tele-Meister

XTS Imperial Overdrive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. J-fish

J-fish Tele-Meister

I agree 100% on this one. It's only recently that I ended trying to get higher gain tones I like with combinations of overdrives. There's just something with true saturated high gain in the harmonics produced and in the shape of the waveform that overdrives cannot provide. It's not just something related to frequency shaping and the amount of clipping, which is what I used to think about this matter previously

16. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

Rat
    Boss OD-3

17. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I have. IMO, it's a no-go for two reasons:
    1. too much bass
    2. not enough mids
    It certainly can, but I never considered it to be a very usable distorted sound, honestly.

dlew919 likes this.
  18. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

I've tried the Boss Blues Driver stock and modded, they just all sound buzzy and raspy to me, unless you have the gain VERY low, and there are plenty of other low gain pedals that sound better and are more versatile, IMO.
    Lot's of folks like the BD. I'm not in that camp.

I like the older versions of the OCD the OCD v2 didn't sound as good to me, it's pretty versatile, good low med and high gain tones and works well with a boost in front of it. It's not perfect but what pedal is?
    Beween the OCD and a VS Garagetone Drivetrain, a Wamper mini EGO compressor and an Xotic Super Sweet boost I can get a pretty wide range of boost OD and distortion tones.

But I'm sure I'll try something else out down the road

19. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan Tele-Meister

20. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan Tele-Meister

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.