Best pedal that straddles the line between OD and distortion?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by JBFatFingers, Aug 19, 2019.

1. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

I kinda like my BBD Green Screamer. I might have found an original Maxon OD808 ... the pedal that WAS the original Tube Screamer that Ibanez renamed when they self branded it. I hope I get it.

2. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I mean, for 70s style distortion:

- the OD250 and Rat were there.
    - both also so great overdrive
    - the Distortion + does as well, but to my ear you have to basically crank the level and distortion to get a little above unity. The 250 fixes that to my ear.

The BD-2 is a great boost, low
    Gain OD and medium OD. No distortion to my ear and goes right from medium OD to fuzz.

You might actually be seeking a treble booster but that’s a whole other can of worms

3. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

Picking up my vintage Maxon OD808 tomorrow. Actually excited. What luck !

beninma likes this.
  4. xgritzx

xgritzx Tele-Meister

Blackstone Appliances MOSFET Overdrive

5. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Holic

I have their Tubescreamer clone, a mini-pedal. it has a bass control and sounds pretty good.

Skydog1010 likes this.
  6. cowie86

cowie86 Tele-Meister

Boss pedals get a lot of praise for being indestructible, but I always think the Rat is the most tank-like pedal out there.

As they say in Soviet Russia - "You don't play ProCo Rat, ProCo Rat plays you"

7. johnDH

johnDH TDPRI Member

Ive got four, that are higher-gain overdrive or distortion that are good with less gain

Digitech Hardwire Cm2 and Sc2
    Boss Od1-x
    Guv'nor 2

8. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

That will spank the Marshall! I have an FD3. Great to push an on the edge amp.

JBFatFingers likes this.
  9. dsouza

dsouza TDPRI Member

BOSS OD2.

The edge from u2 used it on his recording of Until the end of the world. Clearly overdrive bordering on distortion.

www.youtube.com/u2adrian1000

10. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

I would also look at the LA Lady or Kingmaker from Source Audio. You have the ability to swap stackable drive engines so you can have an OCD and a Rat in one pedal. They sound amazing and the feel and response are top notch.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  11. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I have it too, as well as an Ibanez TS9, I'm kinda torn between the two sound wise, but I have to admit the Ibanez is easier to work with.

12. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I can't quit my Maxon OD808. For my rig I can't seem to beat it. It's got the right amount of compression and it effortlessly dials in settings that work with either channel of my Orange Amp.

I can set the OD808 up and do the following without touching the knobs and all will sound good in order of less gain to more gain. With the tone knob set just right it's magic in all configurations, the mid bump just seems to be in just the right spot.

Clean Channel -> Clean + OD808 -> Dirty Channel -> Dirty Channel + OD808

The other drive pedal I have right now is a Wampler Tumnus Deluxe. It's a great pedal but it has to be used much more surgically. I find that circuit to be pretty transparent as a boost with my amp. A straight up clean boost setup with the Tumnus will sound good on either channel, but not have much grit on the clean channel, and actually acts like it reduces the compression the amp has. But as the gain on the Tumnus goes up it pushes mids in a spot my amp doesn't like on the clean channel. So the mid control has to get backed down as the gain goes up.. which makes it so there is always one combo that doesn't sound quite right.

The mid bump can be nasally on my clean channel on the OD808 too.. but the difference is the way it compresses you can dial in a setting where the mid bump isn't nasally until you dig in, but when you dig in the increased compression gets you grit instead of nasal. It makes all the difference.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    zeedoctour likes this.
  13. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

This is out of left-field, but that's exactly what I use a Tech 21 RK5 for. The SansAmp section gets me a bit of overdrive, which I can push way into the distortion range with the OMG section and boost. By judiciously setting the various levels, I can cover a lot of territory with this little thing.

14. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

You're almost certainly aware the Maxon OD808 was THE ORIGINAL TUBE SCREAMER ... Ibanez rebranded it after the creator did a marketing deal with the owners of Ibanez for overseas sales distibution. The original TS808's are exactly the same as the OD808. In fact, when you open up an original TS808, it'll be branded in a couple of places on the inside as MAXON.

15. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yep, just saying I can't seem to beat it. It's old and boring and yet I haven't tried anything new and fancy that actually seems to be better.

I think I've owned and sold all these in the past 2 years:
    DOD Looking Glass
    DOD Boneshaker
    OCD v2
    Orange Getaway Driver
    EHX Soul Food
    EWS Brute Drive
    Wampler Tumnus Deluxe (haven't sold this yet)

The Tubescreamer seems to get talked down so much I waited a long time to try it. Wish I'd gotten it first.

16. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

I was so happy I got that OD808 for well under a Benjamin. What a find. I had an original 1979 TS808 that I sold because I was in some severe financial badlands. It got a good price but I always regretted doing it. Now I have an original OD808 I can feel not so bad about it. I like the BBD Green Screamer (a Tube Screamer clone) but now I can drive one with the other if I need that kind of thing. Don't know if I'll ever use the amps crunch channel ever again.

17. karpis

karpis Tele-Holic

One mans overdrive is another’s fuzz. But just try properly biased germanium fuzz face with guitar volume knob adjustments and there might be fuzz, distortion and overdrive in there;)

JBFatFingers likes this.
  18. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

19. j5jarod777

j5jarod777 Tele-Meister

Actually....RAT is the answer to everything, no disrespect to an OCD, great pedal! But, a Ramble FX Marvel Drive is the best I've ever played.

TokyoPortrait and 4pickupguy like this.
  20. coloradojeff

coloradojeff Tele-Holic

Always been a big fan of the EHX Soul Food....but just got a Wampler Paisley Drive that I really like.

Straydogger likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.