Best pedal for Vox Ac30c2

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Gogo685, Sep 5, 2015.

1. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

I kinda disagree with all the tubescreamer stuff. I love'em, for my silverface fenders and other clean rounded amps. TS type pedals and others that put out a good overdrive all by themselves in general don't sound as good through my Tweed Bassman, EL84 combo amp & my EL84 Ampeg (which is basically an Orange). Those amps already have great overdrive on tap and treble boosters plus old fuzz designs push them there. Tube Screamers were built to get tube overdrive out of clean amps with plenty of bottom. Whereas, Vox/Marshalls tend to be bright/glassy when not overdriven which brings out more of the sterile/harsh harmonics of more modern distortion/overdrive pedals.

Meh, just my opinion.

2. Ash

Ash Tele-Meister

Rangemaster clones can be had for pretty cheap and make an AC30 come to life. Incredible. They also sound great with tweed Fenders and Plexis. ...and awful with blackface Fenders.

3. Sandia Man

Sandia Man Tele-Meister

I agree with MadJack

If you need fuzz, that's fuzz, if you need wah, that's wah
    But overdrive is built in, scads of it. Just get an A/B/Y and use those groovy channels

4. Vladimir

Vladimir Friend of Leo's

My experience also, except I haven't yet found a pedal that can "improve" the drive of my Laney VC30.

5. TheletterJ

TheletterJ Tele-Afflicted

So I just got an AC30 but immediately found that it LOVES my Joyo Sweet Baby.

This is basically a clone of the Mad Professor Sweet Honey which doesn't have a tone control but, nonetheless, it meshes really well with the amp. To my ear it sounds like the amp's natural voice. I suppose a Timmy or Soul Food would get you a similar effect.

That Joyo Sweet Baby has paid for itself a hundred times over in my mind. I have used in consistently in all my rigs and and always delivers.

6. ellisvertellis

ellisvertellis Tele-Holic

Tested my new earthquaker devices Crimson Drive on my AC30 this weekend, and i must say it really is a good match with the Vox. Seems to bring out the Vox crunch with a little Germanium flavour. Very tasty!! I think it comes close to a treble booster if you turn the gain rather low..

7. jamie.pope

jamie.pope Tele-Meister

Always been intrigued by this pedal. What do you make of it?

8. ellisvertellis

ellisvertellis Tele-Holic

I got interested in this pedal when i read That its the pedal That does a germanium fuzz with guitar volume rolled off sound. I love fuzzes, But most fuzz pedals dont really match with the vox i think, at least with my settings. They all start getting fizzy too soon with guitar's volume wide open. I use a eqd tone reaper and work the volume and really like That sound, But since i rarely turn it up to full fuzz, a set and forget pedal would be a bit easier in the band...
    While it s not exactly That sound, it has all the characteristics of a Ge fuzz/low volume: Heavy grit with a certain warmth to it, extremely touch sensitive, harmonicaly rich, enough bass and never fizzy! It does not clean up with guitar's volume very well, But That's not what you want from this pedal: it is allready there.
    An overdriven AC30 with the Crimson Drive at low gain setting gets into Brian May territory quickly, But as stand alone drive on a clean platform it delivers it's own magic!
    A very inspiring pedal!

9. Monotremata

Monotremata Tele-Afflicted

Im one of the 'heavy dudes' but both my Boss HM-2 and my old Proco Rat rule with my AC15C1. The HM-2 is my #1, but the Rat will get me there and at the same time is alot more versatile and can be used for more than grindcore distortion. My LPB1 on full blast into it does some neat tricks too, especially on the TB channel, and its the only amp Ive owned that got along with my Fuzz Face I built, total Blue Cheer territory. Finally going to build me a Superfuzz and a Tone Bender and see how those roll..

Gotta agree with the TS-9 dislike with em though. I dont like Tube Screamers in general, but the TS-7 I had was alright with my Marshall, better with my 66 Bassman. It had that 'Hot Mode' that added some gain and that was pretty rad with the Marshall. First time I plugged that thing into my AC though, it sounded like it had a wet blanket over it. Finally decided to sell it after that. Had the same impressions with my Boss DS-1 and my EHX Metal Muff, which both rocked with the JCM800, but were total crap into the AC. Still wanna try an OCD as that was the pedal everyone said I should check out when I got the Vox but the only person I know that owns one lives like 2 hours from me.

10. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Found a Mad Professor Sweet Honey at a bargain a few weeks ago. I agree it is very nice with a Vox.

I have an OCD and the only thing I really liked it for with my AC-15 was more or less as a clean boost/barely overdriven sound. Cranking the gain wasn't all that pleasing to my ears. You are spot-on about the Rat though, that rodent loves the Voxes!

11. TheletterJ

I have an OCD also and I'm using it as my high gain lead tone w/ the AC30. It sounds pretty good to me. I am a big fan of the OCD in any rig as a high gain pedal. On the contrary, I've found it to be a little fizzy sounding at medium/ lower gain settings. I bet it'd be good as a clean boost though.

I also have an Empress Multidrive on my board that I picked up on a whim. I didn't immediately bond with it into my Boogie or Hot Rod Deluxe but I like what it does in front of the Vox. I'm using it as a MIAB medium grind on one setting and adding fuzz in the second setting for an over the top lead tone. I used this rig at practice for the first time last night and absolutely burned the house down!

12. Gogo685

Gogo685 TDPRI Member

Great posts guys, Thanks for all your reply,I've heard great things about crowther HotCake, any insight on these would be great, Cheers, Greg

13. Gogo685

Gogo685 TDPRI Member

Sweet!!

14. dash-riprock

dash-riprock TDPRI Member

I have an '06 AC30CC2 with Webers, just a wonderful amp. So versatile, does so many things well.

Although I love my TS-9 with Fenders and Marshall, it doesn't play well with the Vox. The Vox seems to have plenty of mids, but no mids control knob, and the TS-9 of course pushes the mids even further.

For higher gain solos, I like the Fulltone OCD with its flat EQ. For lighter gain stuff, the Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, even though it's based on the Tube Screamer, sounds great.

15. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Thats weird, my AC30 CC model LOVES the TS pedals!

Maybe its the webers doing it, though i used ts9 with my CCx model too. Personal taste then...?

16. FenderBender10

FenderBender10 Tele-Holic

Same goes for my 15c2. Every TS or mid-centric pedal sounds great through it. Every fuzz/OD/boost I've put in front of it have sounded good.

17. TheletterJ

I recently settled on an Effects Pedal Boutique SRB808 Dual Drive for my OD with my AC30. I was skeptical at first because it's TS-based but it sounds great. I still have the OCD for high gain but both sides of the SRB808 stacked together (SD-1 into Zendrive) sounds like a really thick, harmonic fuzz. Amazing lead tone!

18. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

For the AC30C2?
    The DFA pedal is the obvious winner.

Does what you think is does, nothing at all, sweet FA.
    Invention attributed to Mo Foster as session players got an extra 25% of the fee if they turned up with FX pedals in the 70s.
    As you like, it can have as many knobs and lights as a Guinness Pouring Machine.

19. Gogo685

Gogo685 TDPRI Member

I decided to go with a Crowther Hotcake, it is an awesome overdrive. It retains the natural sound of the vox. I'm happy with the purchase!!

20. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Congrats, Gogo685! Glad you found what you were looking for.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.