Best Pawn/Thrift/Flea Finds

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Troubleandahalf, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Troubleandahalf

Troubleandahalf Tele-Afflicted

I desperately need a break from Excel and why can't I make the cursor move with the selection when I execute a vba macro.
    <Where my Coding Hard heads Here? >
    But I digress. Help me decompress; show me something cool you managed to grab.
    I'll start with this Jackson Pollock print. (8.99! Mueller Goodwill ATX)
    Never understood the whole abstract expressionism thing. Until I clocked this piece. I thought it was a satellite photo of a city at night. Then I pulled up and just, wow. I get it. You remove the plane of meaning and patterns, shapes, a story emerges. It's quite startling.
    As a musician I appreciate any inspiration.
    Cool cool. Now U No rules love gear related content. Just everyone here has heard about my guitar finds, ad nauseum, so I switch it up on this post. [​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

2. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

My early-block-logo (1970’s) MXR Phase 90 was procured for $20 at a pawn shop in Cleburne, Texas...and it had the original box and book!

I also got an early Fender Mustang Bass for $99 at a pawn shop in Haltom City, Texas; I sold it for $450 that afternoon. My wife was so happy when I gave her that $100 profit I made...:D

harlycarly, Old Plank, Pualee and 9 others like this.
  3. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

My favorite record store of the 80s was Broadway records in lake Orion.
    Great variety of records that the owners dad procured trolling estate sales garage sales and flea markets.

Dad went to find electronics and tubes and things to mess with in the back of the store.

When he would get an old portable TV or record player or something working, he put it in the Front of store and sell it for 15 to 20 bucks.

One evening right as the store was closing a kid comes out of the front door as I was going in and says to the owner “I’ll be back in like a half an hour with the $15! “

he was coming back to buy a 1960 Gibson GA 20 amp. That was sitting there - right in front of me.

I said to the owner “wouldn’t you rather have $30 for that amp than 15? “

He said “I sure would.”

Boom - my first tweed amp.

and – it worked.

I found out later that he told the kid the amp was a shock hazard and they threw it out...

All’s fair in Lk Onion !

SAguitar, elihu, Shango66 and 6 others like this.
  4. Troubleandahalf

I'd say (approvingly) that was a heist, but the kid, no kid, deserves something like that so early in their journey. It would just mess him up.

tubegeek likes this.
  5. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

^^^great life lesson/puts hair on yer chest

He was learning the Frank and Mike lesson before we even knew who Frank and Mike were:

the time to buy something is when it is right in front of you…

drlucky likes this.
  6. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

I got a mij boss BF-2 flanger for 20 bucks I think

I got my 1979 fender lead II from a pawn shop around 2004 for about 200 dollars they are worth a good bit more now

That’s the only stuff I ever really got from pawn shops

Troubleandahalf likes this.
  7. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Meister

Marantz 2230 receiver that works ,needs some lights for display, 35 dollars.

elihu and Troubleandahalf like this.
  8. Troubleandahalf

Ah right with you there. Should have said "deserves an amp like (that)" instead.
    Cash is king. Don't let the goods out of your sight. Invaluable lesson.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  9. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

$27 for this 2005 Squier Standard Strat at a local antique mall. The hitch was that the previous owner's cat had used the body as a litterbox at one point. That meant replacing everything on the body. It is fortunate that Squier put a thick coat of poly on it as well as a thick coat of shielding paint in the cavity because that made clean up and deodorizing easy.

26828346953_5de23c56fe_o.jpg

10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I got my 1963 Epiphone Texan for $75 and a BF Princeton, in 1975.
    I’ll never top that one for pawn shop deals
    I bought a 1955 LP gold top for $500 in 1980, but from a private seller.
    That’s my all time best deal.
    Wish I still had em’.
    Doh!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I've made a bunch of incredible pawn shop buys over the years......although probably none in the past twenty-five or thirty. But my ALL TIME BEST has to be my 1960 Cherry Red double-cut Les Paul Jr, bought in 1969 at Big Ben's Pawn Shop for $60.....including the original faux alligator soft side case. I thought it was an old guitar at the time (about nine years old) and never dreamed I would still have it fifty-one years later.
    Kinda odd story about why I like Pollock so much. When I was about 12 or 13, an uncle gave me a jigsaw puzzle of a Pollock painting, "Convergence". It was just maddening to assemble, but when I finished, it just "touched" something in me. To this day, I like anything by "Jack the Dripper". :)

12. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

I got a 24 oz. jar of fleas for $1.99 at a flea market one time.

I turned them loose in the library because they’d hit me pretty hard with overdue book fines.

13. KW1977

KW1977 Tele-Meister

Unfortunately not many gear scores from thrift stores but I've seen a lot of great stuff. The only music piece I hauled was a 70's Guyatone Jaguar copy from a Salv Army for $75. Fixed it up and flipped it.

Around Austin you'd periodically see good gear in the auction section at Goodwill stores. One such was a Silverface Vibrochamp(Lakeway Goodwill) that was absolutely mint aside from a broken pot shaft. I came back that Saturday to place a bid and someone had stolen it, just grabbed it and walked right out. I also saw a handmade pedal steel and a complete 70's Ibanez pedalboard/case at the S Lamar one.

I typically don't bother much with looking for guitar gear in pawnshops as it's so rarely anything good. Austin struck again - I got my '08 American Deluxe Tele(in my pic) for $900 with case when I stopped in a local pawn shop for a drill press, and my Dr Z RXES 2X12 from another pawn shop in Georgetown for $1300.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    elihu, Troubleandahalf and nojazzhere like this.
  14. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

tubegeek likes this.
  15. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

16. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

When I first started playing in 2002 I got a Wine Red 79 Gibson LP Custom with OHSC for $400. Sold it to GC a week later for $1200.

Troubleandahalf likes this.
  17. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Best find for me was a 1965 Silvertone Tube Amp sitting in a pile of garbage on the curbside of a rental house. Still had the original tubes, but the cord was cut.
    Took it home, cut the death cap and put a new 3 prong cord on it and fired it up. Works but needs a recap job. Speaker had a few small holes from a mouse, but that was easily fixed.
    Soon it will get a recap and a new cabinet.
    Got a couple Strat bodies, a Yamaha keyboard and a few drum shells too from curbside pickup.

I got a couple cheap Strat guitars from the pawnshop. One was 70 bucks(Squier) and I got a Johnson Strat free with a purchase of another guitar to sweeten the deal.

nojazzhere and tubegeek like this.
  18. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Afflicted

EP-3 for $15 in the early 90's. Still works.

All time deal (that I can remember) Blackface Vibrochamp for $60 at the local flea market just a couple of years ago.

19. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Afflicted

That is a very cool piece, I like it a lot. You said a story emerges? What is the story?

20. Supa Necta

Supa Necta TDPRI Member

Paid $250 for an 80s Super Champ at a pawn shop. Best thrift find was a 1977 Star Wars Blue Snaggletooth figure for $1.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.