1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Best pairing with a (real) 80s Gibson 'bucker?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by backalleyblues, Jan 28, 2019.

1. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

howdy everyone, long time no see!

I've been trying to FINALLY sort out my old home brew telecaster (built in '87!) and while I've got the mechanical parts finally right, I'm having a dilemma with the pickups-I have just acquired an early '80s Gibson humbucker (I'm not sure if it's a Shaw or P490 or even a late T-Top, but I like it!) which I put into the neck position and just fell in love with the tone-nails some of the Denny Dias tones on early Steely Dan, just really nice and woody with some chunk to it.

But now my dilemma-I've had a Duncan Hot Stack in the bridge position for pretty much forever on this guitar, and while I like it, I've never really loved it, and it's not a good match with the Gibby pickup-nowhere near the output, even with the humbucker all the way down in the body, and kinda shrill sounding. So what has been everyone's best experiences in matching a bridge pickup to a mol PAF-style sounding neck pickup? Some options I see are SD Lil '59 and Hot Rails (I do like SD!) but I'm open to other ideas...

Thanks in advance,
    Franc Robert

2. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Holic

The Little 59 was my first choice here. There are more single coil alternatives, but it doesn't sound like you are after a traditional Tele sound at all here.

3. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

Mincer, yeah, with this guitar, I'm not trying to be a "perfect reproduction" telly, wouldn't mind some grit and girth to go with my '83, so a lil '59 is an obvious good choice. Anyone else with some ideas?

Thanks,
    Franc Robert

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.