1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

best PAF in a P90 sized rout?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by fivewattworld, Oct 30, 2020.

1. fivewattworld

fivewattworld TDPRI Member

I mostly play my Strandberg Sälen, T-style guitars (though some here might debate that characterization) but I still have a soft spot for a couple of PRS Mira, 25th anniversary guitars I have. I've long wanted to have full size humbuckers put in one but the guys at the PRS Tech Center tell me that the rout precludes this.

So....I am here looking for advice on the best PAF style pickups that will go in a P90 rout? I am only aware of the McNelly pickups (have heard very good things, but not heard the pickups in person) and of course the various hum cancelling P90's, which in general I'm told sound like neither.

I though to call John at Thobak for an opinion but also wanted to turn to all of you good souls here on TDPRI for guidance.

Thanks in advance.
    Keith

2. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

3. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Uh... doesn't a PAF = a HB? Why would the rout be different?
    I guess you just got the title wrong. SO the PRS has like a mini size in it?

fivewattworld likes this.
  4. fivewattworld

fivewattworld TDPRI Member

Ah, you're right. I'll repost with a corrected title. Thanks!

5. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Post a picture ... does it look like this?

[​IMG]

You'll need to look at "Mini Humbuckers" to go in there. Mini Humbuckers are not PAF.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

Why not route it out for a real PAF if that is what you want?

7. IMadeYouReadThis

IMadeYouReadThis Tele-Meister

Not a PAF, but I really love mini humbuckers. I feel like far too many people try Firebird pickups and immediately dismiss minibuckers, but they are nothing alike. I personally enjoy the SD Antiquity II mini humbuckers and the Tom Anderson M Series. I'm sure Jason Lollar makes some great ones, too.

They sound much fatter than a single coil, but have a touch more clarity than a humbucker. They should drop right into a P90 route, but might need a pickup ring. Supposedly when Gibson started putting mini humbuckers in the SG and LP deluxe, they cut out the top of P90 pickup covers to fit the humbuckers and used them as pickup rings. Whatever works, right?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.