Best Overdrive for a Hot Rod Deluxe Version 4

Butch Snyder

Tele-Afflicted
I love my HRD4 and I only use the clean channel. The drive channel is decent but doesn’t work well with my teleport. I have a Route 66 for comp and grit. I use the OD side for a little grit. I’d like to get a good OD pedal for strong overdrive.

I have a BOSS DS-1. Don’t really like it at all. It’s too fuzzy of a distortion even with the tone rolled down. I’m looking for something good and warm maybe like a tube screamer on steroids. I’ve used a DOD overdrive preamp 250 before and it sounded great with a Deluxe Reverb. The Paisley Drive interests me but I’ve never really heard one. What are y’all‘s thoughts?

KC

Friend of Leo's
I dragged the Princeton Reverb out of the closet the other day & went through a bunch of drive pedals to see what worked best with it (as opposed to the Marshall / Vox amps I mostly play). The winner, for a classic tele Spanky sound, was a Fulldrive 2 mosfet. Nice and bright and open-sounding. Some of the others (I'm looking at you, Klon) made the amp sound like it had a blanket over it. Distortron also sounded great but less Fendery and more Marshally.

Big Twang Theory

Tele-Meister
Hi Butch, if a tubescreamer on steroids is what you're looking for, then I think Paisley drive might be perfect. It's a fantastic TS type pedal. I don't use mine much anymore, just because I want less gain than a normal TS, not more. It also has the 3 way toggle for the mids that make it really versatile. You can add less or more of the classic mid hump. Plus you can find them for decent prices used on Reverb.

Butch Snyder

Tele-Afflicted
Hi Butch, if a tubescreamer on steroids is what you're looking for, then I think Paisley drive might be perfect. It's a fantastic TS type pedal. I don't use mine much anymore, just because I want less gain than a normal TS, not more. It also has the 3 way toggle for the mids that make it really versatile. You can add less or more of the classic mid hump. Plus you can find them for decent prices used on Reverb.
Is yours the regular or Plus model?

Big Twang Theory

Tele-Meister
Is yours the regular or Plus model?
The regular one. I had the deluxe version and sold it and got the regular. The second overdrive on the deluxe is good, just waaay more gain than I need. I use pretty much all low gain overdrives, but it was great if that's your thing. The other side is Brian's take on the Nobels ODR-S, which I had confused with the ODR-1. Similar circuit but with more gain.

RetroTeleRod

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
The Ibanez Jet Driver is a higher gain alternative to their Tube Screamer. As an added bonus, it features true bypass, a Mid knob and the “good” TS chip.
72E47FEF-B6CB-426F-9B44-391A5DFDB0A3.jpeg

TeleTex82

Friend of Leo's
Some nice low to medium gain pedals that would work well are the Greer Lightspeed, the Boss Blues Driver, The ODR-1, the Tubescreamer, a Klone, Fulldrive, Timmy, a Dumble style pedal, a Tweed flavored pedal like the Greer Tomahawk or the Falcon, lots of options.

Butch Snyder

Tele-Afflicted
I had pretty given up in my search as I didn't find anything that really appealed to me, that wasn't over $150. Then I found the Boss SD-1. I kind of glossed over it and didn't really pay much attention to it. So, I watched a bunch of YouTube videos and picked ones that were most applicable to me (Les Paul through a Marshall isn't a good example for me). I was very impressed by the warmth, expressiveness, and openness of it. I found a new 40th Anniversary pedal for $65. I'm pretty happy with it. I keep my Soul Food on the pedalboard just in case though.
KBIB2mL.jpg

nHpCFSL.jpg

Les H

Tele-Holic
I had pretty given up in my search as I didn't find anything that really appealed to me, that wasn't over $150. Then I found the Boss SD-1. I kind of glossed over it and didn't really pay much attention to it. So, I watched a bunch of YouTube videos and picked ones that were most applicable to me (Les Paul through a Marshall isn't a good example for me). I was very impressed by the warmth, expressiveness, and openness of it. I found a new 40th Anniversary pedal for $65. I'm pretty happy with it. I keep my Soul Food on the pedalboard just in case though.
KBIB2mL.jpg

nHpCFSL.jpg

Although it's been years but when I had my HRDlx first edition my Boss SD1 was what seemed to work best with that amp for me too.

I've been using that pedal for 30 years now and while I have a closet shelf filled with some much more expensive overdrives that old SD1 still beats them out. Never really found an amp it sounds bad with.

GearGeek01

Tele-Holic
For $59 brand new, try out a TC Electronic MojoMojo overdirve. Very usefull tone controls, lot's of use-ability in the Drive and Level controls, too. IMHO one of the best bang for your bucl ODs out there... Works the same great way in every amp

I'm with ya on the HRD's distortied/overdrive sound... sounds like a horse fart... great cleans, though...

GuitarsBuicks

Tele-Afflicted
I love my HRD4 and I only use the clean channel. The drive channel is decent but doesn’t work well with my teleport. I have a Route 66 for comp and grit. I use the OD side for a little grit. I’d like to get a good OD pedal for strong overdrive.

I have a BOSS DS-1. Don’t really like it at all. It’s too fuzzy of a distortion even with the tone rolled down. I’m looking for something good and warm maybe like a tube screamer on steroids. I’ve used a DOD overdrive preamp 250 before and it sounded great with a Deluxe Reverb. The Paisley Drive interests me but I’ve never really heard one. What are y’all‘s thoughts?
Gotta be honest here. I have a Hot Rod Deville...It was made in '05. I think its a V3. The reason I originally went overdrive shopping was to get a better overdrive tone because lets face it...the overdrive channel in those amps is not the best. My favorite overdrive pedals to put with a Telecaster and that amp are an EHX Hot Tubes, and the Danelectro Breakdown. Separately they really make those amps come alive. Not sure I would combine them for a live rig, although you can definitely do it.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HotTubesOD--electro-harmonix-hot-tubes-nano-overdrive-pedal

Hard to beat the tone and price of this one, and it has recently made a triumphant return to my live rigs for smaller gigs because it actually sounds like a very very happy tube amp going directly into the mixer...which is kinda cool and a little weird to do. I cannot recommend this one enough. Its a darn good pedal, especially for the price.

and now...: THE BREAKDOWN

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Breakdown--danelectro-the-breakdown-overdrive-pedal

This one also acts like an amp-in-a-box. See above, add more treble and you have the Breakdown in a nutshell.

I can definitely recommend either one to pair with any Fender Hot Rod amp.

P.S. Just set the Hot Tubes as it shows in the picture and then season to taste. It should not disappoint. Especially if you use your guitar's volume controls.

Also I put it between the compressor and the overdrive side of my Route 66. Makes a pretty sweet combo in my opinion.

YMMV

jay4321

Tele-Meister
The Boss Angry Driver and TS9 cover everything for me, that's as far as I go on this amp. The Angry Driver is two ODs in one really and they can combine