Best Option for Korina Natural Finish?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by eddie27, Aug 9, 2020.

1. eddie27

eddie27 Tele-Meister

I'm doing my first Korina build and would like to replicate the finish on this Gretsch. I would like to do a natural finish - as opposed to nitro.

What would be the best options to fill, seal and finish? IMG_3281.jpg

Zepfan likes this.
  2. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity

I would use Tru-Oil. It has an amber tint and no need to fill & seal, the Tru-Oil will do that for you.

You have to apply multiple thin coats with a good amount of dry time between coats, so it will take a while to get a even final coat with some sanding of high spots near the end. Then a final finish and polish or no polish for a matte finish.

joesatch and kingofdogs1950 like this.
  3. eddie27

eddie27 Tele-Meister

Have you ever tried TO in the spray can?

4. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Friend of Leo's

Are you sure that Gretsch isn't nitro? Or are you just looking to match the color?

5. eddie27

eddie27 Tele-Meister

I'm sure its nitro - I was just looking for an alternative that could get the same color.

eclecticsynergy likes this.
  6. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity

No, I haven't used the spray can. Just the wipe on and I use gun cleaning patches or bullet wad patches to apply the TO. They are the best way to apply and you will find them in Muzzle Loader Gun Accessories/Cleaning Supplies area of any Sportsman's Warehouse or similar store or Gun sales shop.

7. RiversQC

RiversQC Tele-Meister

Here are some recent tests I did of Korina with Tru Oil.

1. Clear shellac as sealer, walnut timbermate grain filler, about 4 coats of Tru Oil

2. Just Tru Oil. I did a Tru Oil sanding slurry with 400 grit sandpaper, then about 4 more top coats

You can also mix Tru Oil with oil based artist paint to tint. I haven't tried that but there was a good thread of tests recently.

20200810_144951.jpg

eclecticsynergy likes this.
  8. joesatch

joesatch TDPRI Member

Ive sealed with CA then wiped on Tru-Oil, takes fewer coats, my results were great

9. bier

bier TDPRI Member

By replicating the finish you mean color, right? Because I don't know that you can get an oil finish to look like nitro. If this were mine I'd put a seal coat of shellac, maybe even the Bullseye Seal Coat stuff in a can. You'll read that everyone suggests using a fresh can, and I agree - if your stuff is old it'll be too gummy. After this coat I'd mix up some shellac in a darker amber. You could use darker amber shellac flake and alcohol, or mix some dye into your Bullseye Seal Coat. This second coat is to get the color you want, and I suggest the first natural shellac coat so this dye doesn't stain the wood in case you don't like the color. Once you're happy with the color you'll need to fill the grain. Aquacoat is clear and works pretty well, but I also like Z-Poxy. It'll take at least 2 coats of either of these products to fully fill the grain, though. After that you'll need to sand at 320, then use whatever finish coat you want. People really like Tru Oil and you can get it to build if you put double-digit coats on. Are you doing a Billy-Bo? If so I'll be eager to see build pictures.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.