best, of the low end

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by markinatlanta, Feb 14, 2014.

1. FallsRockShop

FallsRockShop Tele-Holic Vendor Member

Every neck I've had from GFS has been roughly (I say roughly because they vary by a few inches) 17 inches in radius.

Also, I see that you're from Decatur. I'm a huge fan of Fox Brother's BBQ and Big Tex Decatur. Seeing your post made me thing of BBQ for some reason haha.

2. Mind Flayer

Mind Flayer Tele-Meister

Squier affinity teles. $180 new. Good guitars, period. They come with 50s wiring, which I like. The main drawback, for some, is the narrow nut width. Others don't like top-loaders, and these are top-loaders. But I don't mind either of these things.

3. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Bottom fishing. I love bottom fishing.

Modern manufacturing is so good that there's little difference in manufacturing cost between mediocre and very good in today's marketplace. Of course, I'm only referring to the machining of the parts. CNC means the parts come out exactly as intended. Solid body guitars are not made with expensive lumber except for rosewood fingerboards.

The difference comes in labor, finishing, and marketing.

You may have to play a lot of guitars to find that diamond in the rough, but it's most definitely out there. I played about 20 Squier Standard Teles before I found the one I bought. Paid $169.00 new for an excellent guitar.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  4. Crarg

Crarg TDPRI Member

Mine is "This ****'s dodgy"

5. Crarg

Crarg TDPRI Member

I have a Vintage brand V62AB that I'm pretty happy with- nice body and hardware and the PUs are nice. $750 AUS V62AB.png

6. Crarg

Crarg TDPRI Member

and the "premium" brands like fender and gibson add too much to their prices just for their brand name.

7. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I think best of the low end is a MIM Tele. The best of super cheap is probably an SX.

preactor likes this.
  8. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

This is a little off-topic, but only somewhat. Years ago, I had a book about home stereos, and it included a very handy breakdown of what percentage of your total stereo budget should be spent on each component. Has anyone ever seen something like that for partscasters?

9. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

Best low-end...Sawtooth <$55 (on SALE). Very playable and the electronics sound pretty good for the money.

ianstrike likes this.
  10. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

A picture of my Sawtooth from Walmart. <$55.00 On Sale. DSCN3172.JPG

ianstrike likes this.
  11. horax

horax Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Squier VM or Classic Vibe used.
    250-300ish...maybe up to 350. I'd go with those over a MIM Fender for the price.

SX teles are ok, but will need electronics modded at least, maybe more.
    I'd love to try a sawtooth myself, but won't pay over 50.00 for one and I always miss the sales. :(

I'd consider a squier bullet tele. Right now you can get a lake placid blue for 129 at GC shipped to your door.
    some light sanding on the neck and you're good to go. maybe some upgrdaes along the way.

12. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Holic

What is it?

13. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Holic

Monoprice Indio Tele. All I've done to mine is install a Tusq nut, but it played fine before. I love the neck and I've already made 3X more than I spent on it gigging with it. The bridge, tuners and jack plate are all great, and so is the finish, although I ordered a blue one and I got a blue one with a green top. I don't care, it still looks great. right now it's 30% off. .https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=610454

14. ItsPat

ItsPat TDPRI Member

Dont know if this fits your question exactly. But I just picked up my first tele style guitar, a Michael Kelly 1953 used for 300$ from my experience, I think it's a really exceptional guitar for the money. It's the only "cheap" guitar I own, everything else has been 800 and up. Honestly, I think it's as nice, maybe even a touch nicer than some of the other guitars I have. Played it side by side with a friends 92 made in America tele. The biggest difference we could find physically was the neck, which I actually prefer that profile. Sound wise, the fender wins out. But mainly because of "punch" on the low end, with my effects board, I easily make up that deficit. I also really like that 4th pickup setting, first I thought it was gimmicky, but after playing it pretty extensively, I no longer think gimmick, and actually use it quite a bit more than I thought I would.

15. NilsZippo

NilsZippo TDPRI Member

I'm confused about the blue with green top? A buddy is interested in such a color combination. I've been all over the MP website and can't find such a color combination available.

16. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Holic

That's the way it came and i know others have received them like that as well, although it's not what the website indicates. I would think your buddy could ask them if they are still shipping them like that.

17. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Holic

18. Bangdapoontwang

Bangdapoontwang Tele-Meister

Look for a Squier Custom II with P90s. Awesome gems in the rough. I got mine for under $200, did some work to it and it is my favorite guitar.
    IMG_6823.jpg

Keefsdad likes this.
  19. Grodad

Grodad TDPRI Member

Aldi Tele, yes from the supermarket, $99, quick set up and a great player. Nice and light, pick this up more often than others at the moment.

20. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

Sawtooth Tele (Sunburst) on Sale at Walmart.com for $59.99 Thanksgiving Day. If you are a lefty there are 3 colors to chose from. Not associated with Walmart or Sawtooth.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.