best new music you discovered in 2021?

captain_jack

Tele-Meister
There have been quite a few threads recently where people have been bashing well known artists or complaining about pop songs having too many writers or just oozing negativity for no reason, so I thought it might be nice to have a positive thread.

What are some bands or artists that you discovered last year that you really like? (doesn't need to be new music, just new to you). I'll start with a couple for me:

Sierra Ferrell - I guess she'd be considered bluegrass, not country. I found her through a recommendation on some other forum and she's fantastic.

Jared Hart - singer/song writer from Jersey that has apparently been around for a long time but I only found him recently when he opened up for Brian Fallon (another great musician). He also plays with a band called Mercy Union but I haven't had a chance to check out their stuff yet.

IMMusicRulz

Tele-Meister
Olivia Rodrigo is one of my new favorite artists. It took me a while to actually appreciate her tho.

I hope she wins the Best New Artist Grammy. Sour is an instant classic.

Deiamosara

NEW MEMBER!
Great idea for a thread!

I don't know how I missed these guys, but I only discovered them last year.

In the face of universal lockdown, I was able to find performers who became involved in music in the same way because of lockdown. I think that's great, don't you? Well, the coolest of them all was a dude named Kai Straw. Initially he uploaded his tracks to stock music platforms, where you could download audio tracks. His sound really struck a chord with me. I really love the surround sound in tracks, and he can do it in a way that I haven't heard from anyone in a long time. The very voluminous bass and the unexpected transitions in the lyrics just drove me crazy. Huge respect to him. I advise everyone to listen to it!

EugeneWeemich

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Really enjoying Jackson Browne's home based recordings. was not really into his music, but during covid stress, it seems to ring true

New artist (to me): Rina del Cid

oldunc

Friend of Leo's
I've taken to spending a half hour everyday with a cup of coffee and You Tube's algorithm (which I'm afraid I have managed to confuse a bit). Spent a lot of time on the thriving European rockabilly scene and various manifestations of "gypsy jazz", plumbed the depths of Pokey LaFarge, some fabulous kids, a lot of flashy guitar players and (not through YT) finally came across the Beth Hart album I knew she had in her, rediscovered Jesse Fuller-- well, I spend a lot of time with music. Here's a couple, more or less at random, that you may have missed;

421JAM

Tele-Afflicted
I don’t think these are new acts, as in “formed in 2021,” but they’re relatively new artists who I discovered in 2021.

Mountain Man (vocal trio)
Blackfox (roots rock large ensemble)
Jim Oblon (roots/jazz guitar wizard who is also Paul Simon’s drummer)
Mike Bagetta (avant garde guitarist)
Luca Benedetti (guitarist who frequently works with Jim Campilongo)
Sataras Quartet (jazz and Balkan music)

Doomguy

Tele-Holic
I found a lot of new death/black metal artists in particular in 2021, but the one that stood out to me is a funeral doom band, Toward Atlantis Lights. So heavy, so melodic. If history/mythology or funeral doom interests you, I'd suggest that you give their two albums a listen.

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
Nothing particularly mind blowing in 2021. I found these two bands to be kind of interesting, but don’t dig all of their stuff:

Friend of mine sent me this record a couple weeks back and really digging it:

Robert H.

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
So glad someone else found that (for the uninitiated, they play traditional Gullah music from the Carolina coastal area)- deserves another song;

Lead singer is Quiana Parler

And they have a Tele player!