Best modern single speaker all tube amp with reverb for surf.

nrand

Friend of Leo's
I had a SS22 and stupidly sold it. Best sounding amp I ever owned, with the exception of the tube rattle and background hiss. To be fair, the hiss alone made it unsuitable for the pit work I do. But if you’re playing in a proper rock n roll band, then it’s hard to beat I reckon. I think if Fender squeezed that drive channel into a pedal it’d be a modern classic.
Thank you.
I do mainly solo acoustic covers; I am a singer, with occasional use for an electric, so it should fit the bill nicely.

nrand

Friend of Leo's
The market here is nuts ATM.
Vintage Vox or Marshall are reasonable, Blackface are out of control, Small silverface amp comand nearly the same price.
It's supply and demand, I can get a boutique Backface build for less than a Silverface.
I hear you on this - in the end I got very lucky on price with this one. It is a 10 year old closet queen - not a mark on it and everything works!

nrand

Friend of Leo's
The Supersonic is an amp I'd forgotten about. My bandmate snaffled the one I had and loves it. It's a great amp that's very well made.

Apart from no tube rectifier, the clean channel is a BF Fender Deluxe. The Fat switch on the pedal basically boosts the mids and turns it into a Bassman preamp.

The Burn or dirt channel is straight off the Prosonic and it's a great thing. The two gain knobs have different effects. One dials gain, and the other makes the tone fatter.

There's only a couple issues with this amp. One is the cheap crappy reverb cables Fender fits and then contorts into the clips. Easily replaced by cables from Evatco of Vintage amp supplies which are like the moulded cables Fenders come with.

The one I bought, the tube cage rattled on the tube retainer. Just take it off. You don't need it.

The only other issue is the pedal must be connected for reverb to work. It's like the B52 of pedals. You can get someone to make you a dummy din plug to make it work full-time.

They're a great size, about 40lb and easy to carry in your car boot. Loud enough for jazz definitely.
Now that I have this at home I agree 100%
The first thing I noticed when I picked it up was the cage rattling.
I have not noticed any issue with the reverb so I will leave it alone for now.
Coorection on the speaker as well, it is the Fender Special Design.
Apart from some natural pitting on the 10 year old metal trim it looks like new and sounds just like I hoped it would.
It is certainly loud enough for my needs, and the fat clean sound is awesome.
Like you said, that pedal is something else!

Last edited:

nrand

Friend of Leo's
Super-Sonic 22 update.
The amp checked out fine the day it arrived, then on day 2 it started making lots of noise - consistent with failing tubes. - This is annoying but not totally unexpected with an amp never serviced in 10 years.
I am taking it to a tech today to have it checked out & hopefully it is just the tubes.

Dacious

Doctor of Teleocity
Super-Sonic 22 update.
The amp checked out fine the day it arrived, then on day 2 it started making lots of noise - consistent with failing tubes. - This is annoying but not totally unexpected with an amp never serviced in 10 years.
I am taking it to a tech today to have it checked out & hopefully it is just the tubes.

Probably just needs tube pins cleaned.

Dacious

Doctor of Teleocity
Thank you - that sounds much less expensive and possibly something I can do myself. I have found a couple of tutorials.
Go to Tandy or Jaycar or Dick Smith and get the cleaner without lube. In fact, buy both types, then you're covered if the pots need cleaning.

You can use it on the reverb RCA sockets too.

derekwarner

Tele-Meister
Why not try a Boss Katana Artist MarkII.............. ?

Won't break your back or budget

You would never regret it

Derek

bensophoto

TDPRI Member
Plus 1 for Hot Rod Deluxe IV
Tried 5 dif princetons and deluxe reverb and my hot rod with celestion cream back is just - better. I donmiss the trem bein in amp but otherwise it’s perfect

mjvicc

TDPRI Member
I am looking for a 'new' amp, something contemporary. i.e. affordable, that I can find on the used market to work up a surf repertoire with my Jazzmaster.
It must have good Fenderish cleans, a good spring reverb, and be manageable enough to practice indoors and to gig in small venues.
I had a 70s Twin Reverb but grew weary of dragging it around.
I prefer Fender but am open to other suggestions.
Look around for an often overlooked Carvin Nomad. Yep, Carvin went out of business a few years ago but they made excellent equipment! Used prices are reasonable and deliver a quality at a reasonable price.

Dacious

Doctor of Teleocity
Get a Tonemaster. You will never look back.

Why not try a Boss Katana Artist MarkII.............. ?

Won't break your back or budget

You would never regret it

Derek

Plus 1 for Hot Rod Deluxe IV
Tried 5 dif princetons and deluxe reverb and my hot rod with celestion cream back is just - better. I donmiss the trem bein in amp but otherwise it’s perfect

Look around for an often overlooked Carvin Nomad. Yep, Carvin went out of business a few years ago but they made excellent equipment! Used prices are reasonable and deliver a quality at a reasonable price.

He's in Australia and also wanted it under-$Au1000. None of those are, here, except maybe the Katana.

He's already noted he's bought a secondhand Supersonic 22.

dvto2

TDPRI Member
Another vote for the Tonemaster Deluxe. 22 lbs of Fender cleans. I add the a TC Plethora X5 for a wide range of effects, and use it for my delay and reverb. Add your favourite overdrive and it's a very lightweight, versatile rig. I got an open box from Amazon for $720. They show up used for that.

Volcanicash01

Tele-Meister
I am looking for a 'new' amp, something contemporary. i.e. affordable, that I can find on the used market to work up a surf repertoire with my Jazzmaster.
It must have good Fenderish cleans, a good spring reverb, and be manageable enough to practice indoors and to gig in small venues.
Cube Street EX. All the tones. 3 sound level modes. Can be loud or soft. Light to carry around. Built in PA system. Clean tones and reverb/delay great for surf. Oh yes, very reliable and built like a tank! I have used mine on my solo gigs for years. Indoors and out. Would sound great paired with a Jazzmaster. Come to think of it, any of the Roland Cube amps from 30 watts up would do it as well

Attachments

• FA7C55D6-F8AD-48D9-B4A8-522790DA6CB8.jpeg
    FA7C55D6-F8AD-48D9-B4A8-522790DA6CB8.jpeg
    114.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 003AA0CF-AD6F-4B54-91AF-4CF8DACD3F1D.jpeg
    003AA0CF-AD6F-4B54-91AF-4CF8DACD3F1D.jpeg
    184.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 6BB15A94-7041-4FCB-98C4-5DEF80193267.jpeg
    6BB15A94-7041-4FCB-98C4-5DEF80193267.jpeg
    152.7 KB · Views: 8

stylemessiah

TDPRI Member
If you can find one, theyre always cheap, they were cheap new, an Ampeg GVT15-112 (1 x 15" 15w/7.5w switchable) and the cleanest amp ive ever heard, even at max volume, clean as can be. I did replace the stock speaker (Celestion 70/80)

Disappointingly, hilariously clean

The day i sold it was the first time i heard it with the taps fully open, it was just the same tone but (incredibly) louder

Terrygh1949

Tele-Meister
Fender Mustang GTX 100. It will give you all you want or need and, won't break the bank.

Stratman2252

TDPRI Member
Check out the Hughes & Kettner 20 watt Anniversary Tube edition. 1 12" speaker. 12 AX 7 Pre amp tunes and EL84 power tubes. Great tone and a pedal to switch to "GAIN" channel. Also very pedal friendly. I get so many compliments on tone. Usually playing an EJ strat with the Pick ups changed too Fender Noiseless. Sounds great with my Gibsons, Teles, even ES335's and a PRS pick up. early 90's guitar. Bonus is light weight compared to Fender Deluxe or Twins. I bought my first HK at full price $699 and a second at $325. There are deals out there Check Reverb. Only CON on the HK is the tubes are a hassle to change when needed. A lot of screws to take out to get at them. My second choice and rec is a 90's reissue Ampeg Jet 12. Have three. I use one with pedals or straight clean. also send a Stereo Chorus signal alone into a second JET. WOW! The original Ampeg Speakers are not good. recommend swapping for a Celestion 50 Watt 12" speaker. Easily available.
I have one with th Selection and another with an Eminence green back. The Celestion wins! All band mates agree. Big Advantage with the Jets.... They are light weight but more powerful than you would expect. 15 to 20 watts. Look for the Jet with Volume, Treble, Bass, Reverb. I have a third Ampeg JET that has One Tone control and Tremelo and reverb. A couple years ago these 90 reissues were selling in the $300's but they have been discovered and prices have jumped. Be patient. Look for one in great condition. The original 60's jets are nice but tubes are expensive and hard to come by. The reissues use 12 ax7's and EL84 Power tubes easily available. Like the SOVTEK tubes but cannot buy them now unless you find them in stock at your local store. Blame Putin LOL.