Best modern single speaker all tube amp with reverb for surf.

nrand

Friend of Leo's
You should be able to find either a 65 DRRI, or ‘68 CDR, used for a “reasonable” amount. They are solid pro-level amps, sound great, and not too cumbersome.

Though you may not be able to find them used as readily, both the Tone King Imperial mkii, and Magnatone Twightlighter 112 are worth plugging into and strumming a few chords if you ever get the chance.
Thank you
There seem to be plenty of options so it will come down to money in the end. Most amps mentioned so far are available in Australia so I will just need to be patient.
So the OP is in Australia and asked for suggestions of new for $1000. This is the price in $Aud. Local isn't 5,000 miles so pickup probably not possible. To bring it into Oz, $US200 in customs fees plus maybe $3-400 in freight. Then he'd need a step up transformer for 110-240volts for maybe $100, or a tech to source a transformer and do the work. Maybe $300.

View attachment 1014905

nrand

Friend of Leo's
Add to that, 11% sales tax on imports into Australia, including the tax cost of shipping, plus customs duty.
Before you know it the price jumps to over $2000.00.
Some aspects of living in Australia are great, this is not one of them :)

nrand

Friend of Leo's
For surf, I would say the Peavey Delta Blues 30 watt, 15" tube amp. Has built-in tube tremelo and spring reverb for that underwater surf sound. Comes with an effects loop to insert a delay pedal for Rockabilly slap back echo, and has a second hotter channel for lead sounds. At 49 lbs. it is light enough for gigging for me. If you want something lighter, get a Mesa Boogie Fillmore 25 with all the same features without the tremelo and weight at only 35 lbs.

Thank you for these.
Just curious, does the Peavey run hot?
Other Peaveys I have owned did.

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
Thank you for these.
Just curious, does the Peavey run hot?
Other Peaveys I have owned did.
Naah, this one don't run no more hot than any other non Peavey tube amps I had. Seems to have plenty of openings to the rear. BTW, this one's a 2003 and the older ones from the early 2000s are better built than the newer and current Chinese made ones.

20190415_151026.jpg
20190415_151707 (1).jpg
20200730_161521.jpg

Last edited:

InstantCoffeeBlue

Tele-Holic
Naah, not any more hot than other non Peavey tube amps I've had. Seems to have plenty of openings to the rear. BTW, this one's a 2003 and the older ones from the early 2000s are better built than the newer and current Chinese made ones.

View attachment 1014947 View attachment 1014948 View attachment 1014949

Those old Peaveys are tanks. First real amp I owned was a 1993 Classic 50 I bought used with money I saved bussing tables in high school. That thing put up with all kinds of abuse. I wish I hadn't sold it.

nrand

Friend of Leo's
Thanks heaps to everyone who replied with suggestions.
In the end, today I was surprisingly offered a Supersonic 22 112 for exactly AUD $1000, around US $700, from a local guitar player on eBay.
This is less than 1/2 retail here in Australia.
This price was well under anything from the list above currently available here.
I like the fact that the clean channel is similar to the Deluxe Reverb, it is lightish weight at around 40 lbs, and it has a conventional speaker. I was intrigued by the Tonemaster as well, but already having a neo speaker in my DV Mark I wanted something different this time. The Tonemaster here is way over my budget in any case. There are plenty of options for changes from the Celestion Vintage 30 in the Supersonic should I ever so desire.
The headroom should be sufficient for rehearsals and small rooms and I would use an SM57 into my PA should I ever need more.
Some of you will have seen some of this Aussie's reviews, which are usually very helpful; no affiliation with me:

I will get back to the forum after some time with the amp.

nrand

Friend of Leo's
Hey NR,

I don't know if you're "tied" to your SFTR, but.... have you considered maybe selling your Twin and being able to get whatever you want? I know sometimes it's difficult to get rid of "vintage" stuff but it could be a good move. I've moved on from the twins, vibroluxes, bandmasters, etc.... but it's because I don't gig anymore. I've "settled" for a 65 PRRI and a SF Vibro champ. Which is not really settling because I couldn't be happier. I might pick up a 65 Deluxe Reverb if a good deal comes along, but it's still a lot of amp for me these days.

So, if you really don't "need" your TR, maybe....?

Good luck in your search.
My bad for not clarifying, the Twin Reverb is long gone.

Boreas

Doctor of Teleocity
In the end, today I was surprisingly offered a Supersonic 22 112 for exactly AUD $1000, around US $700, from a local guitar player on eBay.
This price was well under anything from the list above currently available here.
I like the fact that the clean channel is similar to the Deluxe Reverb, it is lightish weight at around 40 lbs, and it has a conventional speaker. I was intrigued by the Tonemaster as well, but already having a neo speaker in my DV Mark I wanted something different this time. The Tonemaster here is way over my budget in any case. There are plenty of options for changes from the Celestion Vintage 30 in the Supersonic should I ever so desire.
The headroom should be sufficient for rehearsals and small rooms and I would use an SM57 into my PA should I ever need more.
Some of you will have seen some of this Aussie's reviews, which are usually very helpful; no affiliation with me:

Great luck! Enjoy!

nrand

Friend of Leo's
The supersonic is a good deal.
I think Dom from the Backsliders was using one for a while.
If you don't like it you can flip it for that price.
Thanks Nick, hopefully this will be a keeper.
The only possible concern is the spring reverb, which gets mixed reviews, but I have a couple of pedals that can help in that area.
I will post another response once I have it dialled in. I will have it plugged in in the next day or two.

Dacious

Doctor of Teleocity
The Supersonic is an amp I'd forgotten about. My bandmate snaffled the one I had and loves it. It's a great amp that's very well made.

Apart from no tube rectifier, the clean channel is a BF Fender Deluxe. The Fat switch on the pedal basically boosts the mids and turns it into a Bassman preamp.

The Burn or dirt channel is straight off the Prosonic and it's a great thing. The two gain knobs have different effects. One dials gain, and the other makes the tone fatter.

There's only a couple issues with this amp. One is the cheap crappy reverb cables Fender fits and then contorts into the clips. Easily replaced by cables from Evatco of Vintage amp supplies which are like the moulded cables Fenders come with.

The one I bought, the tube cage rattled on the tube retainer. Just take it off. You don't need it.

The only other issue is the pedal must be connected for reverb to work. It's like the B52 of pedals. You can get someone to make you a dummy din plug to make it work full-time.

They're a great size, about 40lb and easy to carry in your car boot. Loud enough for jazz definitely.

Lowspeid

Tele-Meister

The Supersonic is a great amp! It's one of the only 2-channel Fender amps that I don't hate the drive channel. The clean is VERY nice. Congrats!

jonny munksville

Tele-Meister
I had a SS22 and stupidly sold it. Best sounding amp I ever owned, with the exception of the tube rattle and background hiss. To be fair, the hiss alone made it unsuitable for the pit work I do. But if you’re playing in a proper rock n roll band, then it’s hard to beat I reckon. I think if Fender squeezed that drive channel into a pedal it’d be a modern classic.

nrand

Friend of Leo's
The Supersonic is an amp I'd forgotten about. My bandmate snaffled the one I had and loves it. It's a great amp that's very well made.

Apart from no tube rectifier, the clean channel is a BF Fender Deluxe. The Fat switch on the pedal basically boosts the mids and turns it into a Bassman preamp.

The Burn or dirt channel is straight off the Prosonic and it's a great thing. The two gain knobs have different effects. One dials gain, and the other makes the tone fatter.

There's only a couple issues with this amp. One is the cheap crappy reverb cables Fender fits and then contorts into the clips. Easily replaced by cables from Evatco of Vintage amp supplies which are like the moulded cables Fenders come with.

The one I bought, the tube cage rattled on the tube retainer. Just take it off. You don't need it.

The only other issue is the pedal must be connected for reverb to work. It's like the B52 of pedals. You can get someone to make you a dummy din plug to make it work full-time.

They're a great size, about 40lb and easy to carry in your car boot. Loud enough for jazz definitely.
Thank you for these helpful details. I will give it a going over tomorow when I collect it.
I think I already have a dummy plug lying around somewhere.