Best modern single speaker all tube amp with reverb for surf.

jfgesquire

Friend of Leo's
At that price a second hand and recent Hot Rod Deluxe. You should be able to get one for <$1000AU. It's not the most compact amp but has good cleans, nice reverb and is loud enough for any application. Not quite as scooped as the older Fenders but they sound pretty nice for cleans.
I will second this recommendation.

I got mine used for $500 USD, the reverb is surf tone for sure; and even though it lives in my family room, my son has swiped it a few times for gigs.

I recommend either the HRD III or IV. Mine is a special edition in lacquered tweed. The special editions came in a bunch of different coverings, each with a different speaker.

Attachments

• 20210908_122535.jpg
    20210908_122535.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 16

nickmm

Tele-Holic
I will second this recommendation.

I got mine used for $500 USD, the reverb is surf tone for sure; and even though it lives in my family room, my son has swiped it a few times for gigs.

I recommend either the HRD III or IV. Mine is a special edition in lacquered tweed. The special editions came in a bunch of different coverings, each with a different speaker.
You are looking at 800-1000 AUD used.
Importing is a pain as AU power is 240 AC.

Boreas

Doctor of Teleocity
Silverface DR get $2000 AUD and up, Blackface $4000

I guess my point is to watch the used market for values on the.suggested amps. You may need to look a while. Perhaps even something that needs simple repairs. GOOD reverb does not come cheap!

nickmm

Tele-Holic
I guess my point is to watch the used market for values on the.suggested amps. You may need to look a while. Perhaps even something that needs simple repairs. GOOD reverb does not come cheap!
The market here is nuts ATM.
Vintage Vox or Marshall are reasonable, Blackface are out of control, Small silverface amp comand nearly the same price.
It's supply and demand, I can get a boutique Backface build for less than a Silverface.
1000 USD is about 1430 AUD.
Take into account import costs and voltage issue we are over the barrel.

Last edited:

RetiredUnit1

Tele-Holic
Well Dick Dale used a stand alone fender reverb and an echoplex. Just those two are going to run $$$. Used equipment is probably your best bet with those high prices down under.....

Mutato

Tele-Holic
I run through a 1977 Princeton Reverb. But I think for clean surf, you'll need some more wattage. Mine works for gigs but with a 12" hi output speaker and overdrive pedals. Not clean. So at least the Deluxe Reverb in terms of power.
I used to own a 1966 Pro Reverb which was amazing for cleans and surf tones. I wish I had kept that one. : - (

Dacious

Doctor of Teleocity
I guess my point is to watch the used market for values on the.suggested amps. You may need to look a while. Perhaps even something that needs simple repairs.
No such amps ever go so cheap here. Unlike the US, any CBS or earlier amps aren't found anywhere except in the hands of people who know what they're worth. Or overly optimistic.

I think there's one SF Twin on eBay or our equivalent to Craigslist. It's well over a grand. Old Hotrods - $700 or so. Like, first gen ones.

For new? AC15s $949. Blues Jnrs $999. Marshall DSL20C $958.

US - big market, lots of choice, close to Europe, big department stores like GC, Musicians Friend, US dollar worth more. We here suffer the tyranny of distance, one company brings in Yamaha/Korg/Fender/Boss and 240 volt domestic supply means importing devices with US voltages aren't viable.

Many Amazon suppliers, GC or MF won't sell to Australia and postage is punitive anyway. Then we pay US sales tax and Australian GST. Government makes eBay pay and customs catches everything else.

nickmm

Tele-Holic
No such amps ever go so cheap here. Unlike the US, any CBS or earlier amps aren't found anywhere except in the hands of people who know what they're worth. Or overly optimistic.

I think there's one SF Twin on eBay or our equivalent to Craigslist. It's well over a grand. Old Hotrods - $700 or so. Like, first gen ones.

For new? AC15s $949. Blues Jnrs $999. Marshall DSL20C $958.

US - big market, lots of choice, close to Europe, big department stores like GC, Musicians Friend, US dollar worth more. We here suffer the tyranny of distance, one company brings in Yamaha/Korg/Fender/Boss and 240 volt domestic supply means importing devices with US voltages aren't viable.

Many Amazon suppliers, GC or MF won't sell to Australia and postage is punitive anyway. Then we pay US sales tax and Australian GST. Government makes eBay pay and customs catches everything else.
I think the pricing goes back to the 60's embargo on USA stuff. Cultural cringe.

Boreas

Doctor of Teleocity
Well, don't shoot the messenger - I can't help the prices. I guess it depends on what you want the amp to sound like. The units I mentioned will get you pretty good reverb. You may have to give up some classic tone to fit your budget. Or consider a good pedal instead.

RetiredUnit1

Tele-Holic
I have a *real* vintage 1968 deluxe reverb (silverface with blackface circuit) and it has dreamy reverb. I've tried a squatload of reverbs on my self built Hiwatt custom 50 DR504 and none of them matched the 'gold standard' of my SFDR. I was on youtube and was auto-directed to the next video and saw the "BOING" pedal. One knob, just like my SFDR and sob it sounded great. And it was expensive, but I got it anyway and BINGO BOING did it!

Now I have that same wonderful lush reverb on my MUCH louder 50w half stack.
IMG_7164.jpg

Robnik33

TDPRI Member
You will find a lot of surf guitar experts on this forum:

A post on favorite surf amps:

For real "drippy" surf reverb, most go with an external Fender reverb unit or Surfybear pedal, which is quite large. In compact pedals, the Truespring Reverb pedal gets decent reviews and sounds quite good with my Princeton clone. So an amp without reverb with a good pedal is also an option

Dacious

Doctor of Teleocity

So the OP is in Australia and asked for suggestions of new for $1000. This is the price in $Aud. Local isn't 5,000 miles so pickup probably not possible. To bring it into Oz, $US200 in customs fees plus maybe $3-400 in freight. Then he'd need a step up transformer for 110-240volts for maybe $100, or a tech to source a transformer and do the work. Maybe $300.

Screenshot_20220809-095300~2.png

wildschwein

Friend of Leo's
You are looking at 800-1000 AUD used.
Importing is a pain as AU power is 240 AC.
I agree prices are always outrageous when converting US to AU except for the golden time back in 2010-2012 when we had near parity on the US dollar.

But, on any day of the week there are plenty of Hot Rod Deluxes (HDRs) for sale locally on Gumtree and Facebook market place right here in OZ secondhand (S/H). You'll definitley pick them up for less than a grand Australian and running at 240. I would never bother with an amp that needs a step down myself -- too much hassle. Maybe some of the special editon HDRs will have sellers trying to ask a bit more. The stock models however are a very common amp on the S/H market. Yeah it's not 'new' as in showroom but it will be recent.

I think it will fit the OP's orginal brief and budget and it is lighter than a Twin:

I am looking for a 'new' amp, something contemporary. i.e. affordable, that I can find on the used market to work up a surf repertoire with my Jazzmaster.
It must have good Fenderish cleans, a good spring reverb, and be manageable enough to practice indoors and to gig in small venues.
I had a 70s Twin Reverb but grew weary of dragging it around.
I prefer Fender but am open to other suggestions.

...To begin with I am in Australia so US prices are not relevant. I am looking at around the $AUD 1000 mark.

Last edited:

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
I am looking for a 'new' amp, something contemporary. i.e. affordable, that I can find on the used market to work up a surf repertoire with my Jazzmaster.
It must have good Fenderish cleans, a good spring reverb, and be manageable enough to practice indoors and to gig in small venues.
I had a 70s Twin Reverb but grew weary of dragging it around.
I prefer Fender but am open to other suggestions.
For surf, I would say the Peavey Delta Blues 30 watt, 15" tube amp. Has built-in tube tremelo and spring reverb for that underwater surf sound. Comes with an effects loop to insert a delay pedal for Rockabilly slap back echo, and has a second hotter channel for lead sounds. At 49 lbs. it is light enough for gigging for me. If you want something lighter, get a Mesa Boogie Fillmore 25 with all the same features without the tremelo and weight at only 35 lbs.

20200730_161307.jpg
20210923_180724.jpg

Last edited: