1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Best model/age of used Strat to go for.

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by scubadoo, Feb 6, 2020.

1. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I heartily recommend a (used) EJ Strat.
    I see them used on CL as little as $900.
    I know that ain’t cheap, but they are the best production Strats (ever) made, IMO.

fenderchamp likes this.
  2. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

best Strat I've ever owned is the Ernie Ball Music Man Cutlass SSS. Just an unbelievable great-playing guitar, sounds great, too, and has the two-knob tele-style controls. I have mine set up decked -- five springs, tight -- so I can't speak to the trem. But otherwise just an amazing guitar.

It does have a weirdo headstock though. The American Standard (mine's a 2016, I think) is definitely better-looking, and I have the trem on mine set up to float -- and it, too, plays and sounds great. Fat 50s are good pickups.

I don't believe the Jimmie Vaughan Strat ever came with a rosewood neck but play one if you get a chance -- you'll know in 10 minutes if you love the neck or hate it, and if you love it there's nothing better.

The AS is good enough that I sold my real '66 without a second thought. Then the Cutlass came along and put the AS in the closet. My girlfriend's got the Jimmie Vaughan.

3. lost sailor

lost sailor TDPRI Member

I have 7 Strats from MIA, MIM to Squier -- the best one to me is the one in my hands at the time......

I've always heard that "the kids in Bristol are sharp as a pistol when they do the Bristol Stomp"......is this true?

4. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

American Standards post 2001 or the Strat-Plus models from '89 - '96

5. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

This is a question that gets asked over and over because there is just no answers. There is no best strat. There are plenty of great ones. Just play what's for sale locally and find one that's good for you. Don't buy guitars without playing them first if you want to make sure you get a good one.

BTW I am pretty excited about my cheap MIM 2008 MIM strat (that I traded for a box of parts worth around $250). It's just a basic sunburst one, but it's lightweight, holds tune, the frets are great, and it has a nice dark RW board which I like, and it was obviously well cared for by an active player. I've spent about $150 modding it and I feel like if I needed it to be my only electric, I would survive just fine.

scook likes this.
  6. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Holic

Anyone able to give a basic rundown of the differences between the old American Standard line and the new American Professional which (I assume) replaced the Standard?

Is Fender making guitars as well as they were 10 years ago? My 2011 Deluxe Tele is a delight. Is the quality/build/finish/appointments comparable, or have corners been cut?

Thanks!

7. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

I think the Fender build quality has remained the same since about 2001 for both the American and MIM models...that can be seen as good or as bad depending on your view.

8. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Afflicted

I bought a Player series Strat (MIM) last year and it is a very good Strat for the money

9. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

I've owned a few really nice strats over the years, and worked in a music store where countless others would roll through.

I have just one Strat left in my arsenal, because it was always the one I would play. I have never played a Strat I liked more.
    It's an '83 Squier JV '62 Vintage. An export model only available in the UK, Canada and AUS at the time.

@scubadoo ... I mention this because you mentioned an AVRI in your opening post. The guitar I mention is an equivalent to an AVRI... but not as expensive on the used market. You are located in the UK... there should be a few of these models floating around unlike the US where they were not available. Just be careful as many will of been modded to death over the decades!

The EXACT Models to watch for are...
    • Squier JV #265010 = '57 Vintage Stratocaster (Maple)
    • Squier JV #265020 = '62 Vintage Stratocaster (Rosewood)
    Both models came with US made pickups and top of the line hardware/electronics.

brookdalebill likes this.
  10. scubadoo

scubadoo Tele-Afflicted

That's a new one on me! :)

Thanks again, guys, lots of great input and plenty for me to look at. One of the problems is that realistically I'll be looking at an online auction site. It's not that easy to find local to try out. But your guidance will definitely help.

I'm a bit confused about the difference between Standards and professional over the years. Is the Standard still current or is it Professional now?

My American Originals 60's Jazzmaster arrived yesterday and I must say I'm very impressed with the quality of Fender's output at that price range.

Cheers
    Dave

11. lost sailor

lost sailor TDPRI Member

In the 60's it was a song on the top 40 charts but I forget who did the tune.

12. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

It's professionals now. They don't make standards anymore. They make specials though. They might have changed it up already, but as of about a year ago, the Specials took the place of the old Highway series, though I think the specials are a little nicer than the highway used to be, the Professionals took the place of the Standards, and the Elites or are they Ultra's now or something? took the place of the Deluxes. I tend to prefer the specials as they are little more vintagish. But, you know, individual guitars vary. Sometimes I think the guitars choose us and not the other way around.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.