Best Mod Platform Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Dan C, Jun 28, 2011.

1. thefees

thefees Tele-Holic

Oh the other thing I wanted to mention was a comment I read in one of the threads that this guy was modding up a guitar and he said, "This will be the last guitar I do modifications on, it is costing me a fortune, and I still have an X guitar" and trying to figure out what the best components are that work especially well with what the guitar he has is another challenge.

Now I say that with the realization that I have new Seymour D's pickups waiting to go into my Epi LP with DuhVoodooMan's wiring giving me push pull pots on all 4 so I can go split coil, or humbucker, and also phase switch, and Series Paralell I think is the fourth one. Also I have Fender Vintage Noiseless going into my 66 with a DiMarizio DP162 which will drop right into the P90 spot that I have now. Yes it will have the split coil option as well.

So am I against mods? No, but I do think that dude who said it would have been better and cheaper to try and pick something up front that is close to where he wants to go and keep the mods down. It helps if you ever want to resell it. For example an Affinity all modded up isn't going to bring the same price as something that comes with the stuff you are trying to change into.
    There are exceptions to every rule, and even as I say this, I desire to build a body from scracth, and learn how to do the same with the neck. I just think this perspective is one worth considering as well. Hey the more knowledge the better to help you make that one best decision that is the right one for you. Hope this helps.

2. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

That's a good point. Didn't think of that. Obviously I've never done this before.

3. DOGMA Dunn

DOGMA Dunn Friend of Leo's

I would not do much in mods to teles, they are great guitars as is. If I do any it would be to create a parts caster to create a custom built masterbuild guitar with the best of the best parts and carfull detailed work. For under $1000 I would assemble my own great tele.

4. honeycreek

honeycreek Tele-Afflicted

Actually the "Vintage Modified" series is the same way. At least my Squier VM SH accepted the bridge I took off of a Fender MIM with no modifications (and the pickguard fit perfectly as well).

5. Johnp3

Johnp3 TDPRI Member

I have a modified Affinity and an American Standard. I love playing them both. The American is completely stock and I love it just as it is. The Affinity has a Bigsby. Golden Age Hum-bucker in the neck and Golden Age Tele bridge from Stew Mac. I also put on a mint green pick guard. Once the frets were leveled and the nut adjusted it plays awesome.
    The CV's are real nice too so for what it's worth...

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I get confused when a guy talks about wanting a "modding platform" and then the conversation switches to refinishing the guitar.

I see a MIM Deluxe Nashville as the classic Modding platform. You can try a bunch of bridges, a bunch of pickups and switching combinations, but the basic "chassis" (body and neck, radius, fretwork, neck girth) are there at the start. You can play this sort of guitar in stock form for 6 months or more if you like and you WILL know your guitar before the tinkering really gets going.

Think about how sketchy it is to take a lot of parts from here, there and everywhere, and try to all "rush" them onto a guitar that is borderline unplayable to start. Even if you succeed, you'll really never understand why.

Image you awaken behind the wheel of a truck, and you drive 10 miles North and 15 miles east on unmarked back roads. But you don't know what County you are in and you may not even know what State you're in. I love a mystery guitar that sounds wonderful but in one respect, if you don't know WHY the guitar now sounds great and plays great, can you honestly come to TDPRI and tell other guys: "Oh, you should do this!" I mean, what exactly did you do?

Maybe we should invent some new terms. Topic headings like: "I need a Donor guitar for a total transformation project". That would tell the reader that the ride will be a wild and bewildering one.

7. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Again, I'm thinking CV or CVC for your needs & wants.

Not to knock them too bad but when did Squier start making Affinitys to the level of CVs?

I've never picked up an Affinity and thought "Wow,... this neck is perfect." They've all seemed like very cheap, low-end guitars IMO. Good for around $150 but not near the quality fit, finish, playability of the CVs I own & have played. Not even in the same ball-park.

But if you are planning on changing most things out, probably not that big a difference?

8. tapollok

tapollok Tele-Holic

My take on this....posted elsewhere a couple weeks ago

Attached Files:

9. BrianKillebrew

BrianKillebrew TDPRI Member

I know exactly what you mean, and I'm totally guilty of this. When I set out to build my La Cabronita, I had absolutely ZERO idea what it was going to sound and feel like in the end, I just knew it had to have that tvj pickup and certain other things to look like what I wanted. So I did it, and for good measure threw in a greasebucket circuit. thankfully I loved it but I could never answer why I went with the TVJones powertron plus except that I 'had to'

Now ask me about mods I've done and would do again on an epiphone les paul and I'd tell you dump the stock pots, throw in duncans, and if you got the cheap kluson style tuners swap them for the real thing or grovers. Those are all mods I did one at a time til I had the guitar I wanted.. which i then went and screwed up by trying to re-finish it on a whim..That's a story for another time though.

I say get yourself a tele you already like playing. Feels good, sounds kinda good, looks good. Then you start out simple. Upgrade the electronics. Put a heavier bridge on it. Better tuners. etc etc etc. Something that'll give you the whole experience.

But before any of that, take it to a pro and get a pro setup done on it. I don't care how good you think you are, if you're not a pro and you don't have all the tools and years of experience, it won't come out the same. I mean hell, I know how to do most of what's involved in it and I still take my guitars to a pro, just for fresh hands eyes and ears.

I'd say if you gotta start cheap, get yourself a body, there are lots of guys that make them around here and you can get them on the relatively cheap through GFS or Rondo. my $.02

10. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

I've seen some used MIM tele's for $200 to $300 bucks on craigslist. This is what I would get if I wanted a modding platform, as most parts are going to fit.

11. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

and my point was ? :rolleyes:

As in like, totally best starter kit for modification is an air guitar dude.:D

12. electricjr

electricjr Tele-Holic

I agree that CVs are a good choice, as they're routed for buckers and fit the right parts- but I just got a 2000 MIM std for $275 shipped w a HSC, it's routed for a bucker, fits a vintage bridge and it feels like a more solid guitar than my cvc or cv50s strat, has a better nut and stock electronics (not necessarily pickups, but pots/switch/jack). Also they are available in more colors. Here's mine post mod-(the burgundy one on the right)

Attached Files:

13. Psyc4Life

Psyc4Life TDPRI Member

........a bench?

14. guitarslinger92

guitarslinger92 Tele-Meister

Go with the CV, those affinity tele's are nothing but trouble from my experience (I had quite a few over the years) but in all honesty, someone mentioned something about putting expensive parts on a cheap guitar, That seems like a great idea to me, you'll end up spending maybe 200 dollars all together, and have probably the best sounding guitar you've ever played.

15. Slann

Slann TDPRI Member

Awesome job! Looks great!

16. Slann

Slann TDPRI Member

Last was to tapollok.
    My $.02:
    I like ash or alder bodies (in that order). The CV is pine, isn't it? Softer wood, don't know how well it resonates after it dries out. And dry wood is the key to great tone and sustain, which is why (generally speaking) older teles have "that sound". I built a parts tele 17 years ago, and it just came alive about 3 years ago.
    Also, it seems all of us here have different styles and tones we're most fond of. I prefer Strat tones in the rhythm (neck ) pup, but lots of (pinch) squeally harmonics in the bridge.
    I've had good luck with Carvin bridges, Fender Twisted Tele pups, Seymour Quarter Pound bridge pups and Electrosocket jack mounts.
    I've redone the wiring about a zillion times, but I settles on the '53 schematic...works for me.
    Good luck, and send pics!
    It's an addiction. I'll NEVER stop building modded Teles!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.