Best Mexican Restaurants

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chet again, May 10, 2019.

1. esteban_miguel

esteban_miguel TDPRI Member

Growing up in a border town in Deep South Texas it’s hard to find great Tex-Mex food north of Austin. My wife and I have been living in Raleigh, NC and the best Tex-Mex food we have found is Chuy’s! This as authentic Tex-Mex food you are going to find and they seem to be popping up through out the us. Please note I’m only talking about Tex-Mex food! Like most foods, Mexican food is regional and its style and flavor profiles change from place to place and region to region! YMMV

2. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

The Texas Taco in Patterson NY was the best but unfortunately it closed up shop after around forty years. You missed your chance.

3. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

I've just about given up on Mexican food here in Raleigh, NC. I loved the Mexican food in Los Angeles, Texas, and Baltimore. Lots of Mexican restaurants here, but not one I want to go back to. It's like, they just don't get it. The last one I went to, I ordered a chile releno and they brought be a green bell pepper stuffed with ground beef.

If anybody has a suggestion, please speak up.

4. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Holic

The ones we keep on rotation....

Don Juan’s in LaSalle if we are in the Northern Front Range.

El Mirador if we are in North Denver.

Tortugas Tortas for tortas close to home.

Guadalajara in Westminster is really good, too.

We recently read about another Guadalajara Restaurant that is down on Colfax that apparently has an epic buffet.

5. loco gringo

loco gringo Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Pepe's in Harlingen.

Angie's in Austin.
    Matt's El Rancho in Austin as mentioned, though I have been there since the late 80's.
    Back then I also liked Fonda San Miguel. Not sure if it is even around now.

My all time favorite was La Fuentes in South Austin back in the eighties and early nineties. It went down some towards the end when the next generation took over. I still crave their Carne Guisada as well as their enchiladas. I have yet to find better, especially the Carne Guisada.

6. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Chuy’s has done a decent job staying fairly close to its roots with its franchised locations. Nothing can ever be exactly the same as the original on Barton Springs. That place is a one of a kind experience that is uniquely Austin. But the Chuy’s outside of Texas are far better than any other Mexican or texmex chains, period. We make it a point to stop at them when traveling. Not just because we love Chuy’s, but because everything else is ridiculously overpriced and mediocre crap in comparison. Chuy’s is neither. There are good gourmet taco chain places nowadays (Torchy’s), but for general chain Mexican restaurants, Chuy’s is hard to beat.

And Chuy’s hatch pork tacos are exceptional.

Taken just now
    [​IMG]

7. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

If you can’t find a place that makes what you want the way you want it why not make it yourself?

When we lived in Mississippi there were no Mexican, Chinese, or Puerto Rican restaurants. So mom went back to her roots and would do a Mexican feast every couple of months. She dug out “Cocino del Gusto” from out time in PR and would do a PR feast every couple of months. We had a Chinese neighbor that taught her Szechuan and we had a Chinese feast every couple of months. My sister, brother, and myself learned to cook these marvelous feasts

Most ethnic cooking isn’t uphill or it wouldn’t be the staple the region grew up with. Now I’m talking home cooking not fine dining/gourmet meals that can a lot of prep and a talent/knowledge to do

We live 80 miles from PR and I swear you can’t get a decent asopao here. So every once and a while I make asopao -PR chicken stew. It takes about an hour and is wonderful

dkmw likes this.
  8. CCK1

CCK1 TDPRI Member

I've had good and bad, but one thing I heartily believe. If I walk in, and don't see any Hispanic people working there, it's unlikely to be the kind of Mexican food I enjoy.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  9. Tsquared

Tsquared TDPRI Member

For those of you dissing Mexican in Pinellas county, El Maguey on 66th is outstanding. They stock the restaurant from the market a couple of doors down.

Agree with the guys that say Chuy's does good stuff for a chain.

10. beach bob

beach bob Friend of Leo's

Taco Bus gets a lot of the press and buzz, but there's a bunch of other great Mexican spots, particularly in Tampa (vs. St. Pete / Clearwater)... Check out Lolis ... just east of Veteran's, south of Waters Ave. Killer little taco spot. They got tacos, quesadillas, sopes, tortas, and some days, tamales. There are little taco joints with 4 or 5 tables all over Tampa... St Pete seems to be more gentrified and foo foo so you have that to contend with. Taco Son on 22nd Ave in St. Pete is good... (checking google map...) it might be renamed Grumpy Gringo now? I haven't been in a year or so.

Here in the SE of FL, lots of Mexican sit-down joints are run by Cuban families... they have the Mexi menu on one side, and the Cuban on the other... Kinda odd if you're new to the area, but it works.... the Mexican is fairly Americanized, but generally tasty. My go to of these is Amigos, in WPB, and also Palm Springs. By the time you get as far south as Miami, good Mexican is nearly impossible to find. You'll do better going further to Homestead, which being an agricultural town, has some great Mexican spots. But not in the big city.

Anyways! I see you're in PBCo. On the off chance you're new, THE place for Mexican in my county is Tacos Al Carbon. Military Trail & Lake Worth Road. Lucky for me, they have a trailer they have been been locating at the Sam's on 45th Street, right by my work, so I save the 20min drive... I think I'm headed there for lunch shortly.
    :D

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  11. t guitar floyd

t guitar floyd Tele-Holic

Try their green chilie. One of their specialties is called the "Smothered Mexican". There are several Chubbies now, but the best is the original on 38th (or maybe Colfax, if I recall correctly) although the one on north Washington had some pretty hot green last time I was there. I'm going up to Denver and Colo. Spgs. this summer . . . I'll check it out and report. :)

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  12. t guitar floyd

When did Chicago Store close? I know a few years ago they moved into a smaller place across the street and also into the old Guitars Etc. location out on E. Speedway. As of a couple months ago I was still getting discount notices in my email. Did I miss something?

13. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's

I haven't read all of the posts yet but having just eaten at the Chuy's in Tulsa, Ok yesterday, I have to chime in here. Chuy's is very consistant across the wide expanse of locations. I read where one of the most recent location openings was in Annapolis, Maryland. ???

We had our favorite Chuy's offering, the Elvis' Fried Chicken. One plate is enough for two grown adults. Ask for the creamy jalapenio salad dressing for dipping the warm fresh tortillia chips. I do think the red salsa is consistantly too salty. Ask to sit in the "Hubcap" room if you are a car enthusiast and try to identify all the makes of hubcaps hanging from the ceiling. We really miss the Chuy's original location on Barton Springs road in Austin.

Lost_N_Austin

brookdalebill likes this.
  14. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Billions up here too. Mex and TexMex and Oxaca something
    All same. (to me) I have tried
    around country.

15. Lord_Ingipz

Lord_Ingipz Tele-Meister

Being Mexican, my grandma's home cooking is what's best. She was a head chef for many top hotels in Chicago from the 60-80's so nothing comes close. Best food is homemade.

rghill and BigDaddyLH like this.
  16. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Any restaurant where they warn you that the plate is hot, they cooked the food on the plate on a conveyor belt on one of those Middleby-Marshall cookers:

[​IMG]

This includes Chuy's. I don't think they're really much different from, say, On The Border.

17. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

Absolutely closed? Maybe not. But from the 70s through the 90s CS was this over packed warehouse of classic, semiclassic, old, and junk instruments . Picking one up risked an avalanche of spare parts and dust. It was a regular stop for bands touring through, looking for that odd-unique-overlooked piece of guitar history. You could find a classic strat or LE, or an Ecko or St. Blues or Kent. The guy who ran it was always a little crotchety but he had it all, including Rhodes pianos, violins and tubas.

Then about a dozen years ago it was suddenly a cleaned up shell with just a few Squiers and Epiphones, generic starter-level stuff. Then it moved across the street and down Speedway. The weird funhouse died and reincarnated as a potted plant.

t guitar floyd likes this.
  18. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

I just watched an Anthony Bourdain episode about LA and the Mexican food there. Pretty awesome!

His episode about eating in Mexico City was pretty great too.

rcole_sooner likes this.
  19. t guitar floyd

I see what you're saying. I remember those days. A buddy and I used to come down here from Colorado and dig through the piles. I once found a refinished '57 Strat body in large box of various stuff! :cool:

ravindave_3600 likes this.
  20. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

Untrue. In the early 80's, we used salamanders. Plates came off so hot several of the guys had railroad tracks of burns down their arms. That place also had wicker plate holders because you couldn't touch the plates. Pizza places users the conveyors.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.