Best Mexican Restaurants

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chet again, May 10, 2019.

1. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

You can make them by just folding the tortilla over the meat etc. and pressing the edges through plastic sheets.

2. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic

Before I knew what good food really is, I was fond of Chilli Willi’s in Huntington. No idea if it’s still there, but it was the best in town in its day. Low bar, though.

3. t guitar floyd

t guitar floyd Tele-Holic

Wow! this thread is making me hungry . . . good thing it's almost lunch time. Think I'll go to the Taco Shop here in Tucson, just east of downtown on Broadway, for a carnitas taco. There's lots of good hole-in-the-wall places here.

When I lived in Denver, my favorite was "Chubby's". :)

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. stratofortress

stratofortress Tele-Afflicted

Best around Maryland has to be toucan taco
    TIPPYS.jpg

TIPPYSSSS.jpg

Used to be known as Tippys but changed names.
    They are great,but for a hole in a wall its expensive as hell..

Dinner for 2 will set you back about 40.00 bucks

5. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Right. It's the "dough" part that is hard to get right.

6. Whatizitman

Just get a good cast iron one. They're cheap. The 180 degree turn is the key to help get the right thickness.

EDIT: oh I missed the empanada part. Sorry.

7. Whatizitman

No longer there. It closed down right about the time I moved to the area. There are a few ok places. Most are so-so at best. The Tequila Grill I mentioned earlier in the thread is good, though. Rt60 near Barboursville.

8. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

good to hear there are so many choices. One of the great things about not knowing everything is that you have a chance to learn every day. that's one of my theories, anyway.

You see some style variations in any menu item. Take chile relleno, for example.

when I was a kid in colorado, there was a "mexican" restaurant that formed the ideal for me at that time. It was relatively inexpensive and the food was not similar to other "mexican" restaurants in Boulder at the time. This was said to be an "LA style" mexican restaurant, in CO in the 60's. One method of food prep that was said to be LA style was the batter they used to make a chile relleno. It was not the crusty, fried dough style, it was light and almost spongy. The idea, I guess, was that they separated the egg white from the yolk, whipped it up into a froth and then blended it back into the batter just before frying.

it was delicious! Was it truly LA style? I have no way of knowing.

the tex mex approach that I have seen frequently here for relleno is to use a poblano pepper with a hamburger stuffing. While I'm ok with the poblano, not too sure about hamburger as a filling, so I've pretty much don't order that here.

i guess my standard for relleno is a Hatch pepper stuffed with cheese and onion, with a light batter and maybe a chili verde. I tend to think of that as New Mexico style, but I could be wrong.

S'all good. There's a place in the Heights here called Teotihuacan, named after the place in Mexico and they serve Mexico mexican and some tex mex and it's all pretty good. Kick ass margaritas, too. Just down the street is Andy's where I'm fond of the enchiladas colombianas (cheese enchilada topped with fried egg - it's what's for breakfast!

Big_Bend likes this.
  9. Whatizitman

Last summer I went to a taco place in Tucson that was absolutely incredible. I was trying to remember the name. Googling is no help, as I'm not really familiar with the city, and there are zillions of taco places there, which is to be expected.

It was in this cool little old (or old style) plaza. Kinda on the outskirts, if I recall. Just outrageously good pork tacos. Kinda hip and gourmet-ish. Otherwise casual outdoor dining - order at the window, go find a table in the plaza with your number. Racking my head, but can't come up with the name. OMG it was amazing.

There was a light rail or city car line that went by on that street, if that means anything. Help me out?

t guitar floyd likes this.
  10. t guitar floyd

t guitar floyd Tele-Holic

If you think of it, I will go there! Sounds like one of the "Burrito Co." places, not too far from I-10 on St. Mary's.

11. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Actually, that photo was taken at the old Felix Mexican Restaurant on Westheimer just east of Montrose. The building is still there, but it is part of a Japanese restaurant, now.

I miss Felix. When I was a kid we used to go to the one on Kirby a lot.

teletimetx likes this.
  12. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

Tex/Mex food isn't Mexican food. If you're in a restaurant and they serve you "queso" before your meal, it isn't a Mexican restaurant.

ravindave_3600 likes this.
  13. kwcsports

kwcsports TDPRI Member

There is a place in Halifax ( Bayers lake ) called Cheachies which is great. Check it out sometime, I think you'll be surprised.

14. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

@Guitardvark Nope, I was wrong. You were right. It looks like it was Leo's. :oops:

15. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

In Waco, Rosa's Cafe is hard to beat, La Fiesta use to be the best here, they're just a hosh posh place for college kids now. If you want real good fare, the late night food trucks sell awesome food.

16. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

True. I've been to Mexican restaurants. I prefer Tex Mex.

17. sudogeek

sudogeek TDPRI Member

Regarding Pinellas Co FL, the Taco Bus on Central in St. Pete is decent. Open air seating, cold beer, and try the ‘Mayan’ shredded pork. (Many of the ‘Mexicans’ here are actually Mayan, that is Guatemalan Indios who speak Quechua.)

Actually, in central FL, over the last decade or so, Mexican agricultural workers have established communities all over. There are great real Mexican restaurants all over - not chains, little hole-in-the-wall places in strip centers near the part of town where they live. Unbelievably, there are 2 taco trucks and 2 little cantinas in Port Salerno that are as good as anything in San Antonio. We also have a tortillaria. It helps to speak Spanish; talk to the lawn guys, stucco and plaster guys, they’ll steer you straight.

beach bob, dkmw and Whatizitman like this.
  18. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

By design, Mexican food is always good ..even Hungry Man tv dinners or canned tamales (if need be).

RetroTeleRod and nojazzhere like this.
  19. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

I agree Joe T’s isn’t what it used to be. Built it does have a warm spot in my heart. I was going there before I was born.
    My grandmother was friend with the Garcia family and the girls all bought their clothes from her at Monnings.
    The daughters would bring the fixings to her house so they could spend time with their gringo boyfriends. Joe didn’t like them dating non Mexican young men but Faye Armstrong could get away with it
    When mom was pregnant with me they went to Joe T’s regularly. Hence me going there before I was born.
    I have vague recollections of the man himself and have pix of me sitting on his lap with him feeding me a rolled corn tortilla

While it may not be the same place it was from 1935-mid ‘70s it’s still s place I enjoy going to whenever I’m stateside & in N Texas

And they did build one heck of an empire taking up over a block.

I have a modernized version of their enchilada sauce. Tastes fantastic and a lot less unhealthy than the original

nojazzhere likes this.
  20. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Great story!!!!!....and I didn't mean to sound quite so harsh about Joe T's.
    I guess it's just that Joe T's is famous worldwide....and we hear about celebrities planning entire trips to Ft Worth around visits there....and most locals feel there are SO MANY other better TexMex places.
    Incidentally....I've played several private parties on the patio, and when the weather cooperates (not raining or too hot) it can be a real FUN place.
    Also (I just remembered) I was eating there once with some friends, and there was a big wedding party/reception going on.....we crashed it. Open bar. That's all I'm gonna say. (Statute of Limitations has expired, anyway)

t guitar floyd likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.