1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Best Martin reimagined years.

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Hugokildare, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Hugokildare

Hugokildare TDPRI Member

Hello there, I’m looking to buy a Martin reimagined d28. Could you possibly give some guidance on which year is the best year of production for these guitars, I.E 2017 - 2021.

thank you and very much appreciated.

Hugo Smith.

Jared Purdy likes this.
  2. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Afflicted

I'd ask this over at the AGF forum as well. You will find a lot of threads over there about this guitar. I don't think you will get a definitive answer, though, because I think Martins are pretty consistent.

Henley and rand z like this.
  3. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

I would ask this in the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum. Hands down the experts. You might also find what you are looking for in their Buy and Sell section.

Report back

985plowboy and RowdyHoo like this.
  4. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I think I saw something here to. I think it is a continuation of the post
    2012 martin with bracing forward, etc, etc.

5. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

You might want to ask this question over at the Unofficial Martin Guitar forum.

https://umgf.com/ucp.php?i=pm&mode=view&p=58188&utm_medium=email

6. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

Unless you can play a few of them and decide, which is hard to do unless you live near Nashville or another city with a great used guitar shop(s)...

...Martins are all pretty consistent and the quality is always excellent.

Granted, there are always a few that do sound better.

Good luck!

IMadeYouReadThis likes this.
  7. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

It is not the year for these modern Martins but the individual guitar, ime. Buy good geometry and good sound. Then, have the guitar set up with a properly compensated saddle...play and enjoy! The worst cases I have seen were two D-45s fro: maybe three years ago..brand new. They were demo’d out to a fellow who wanted to spend a lot of money in a new Martin. Both of those D-45s had extremely underset neck angles and were not worth putting strings on. They would never make music until the necks were taken out and reset. One must learn to read a guitar’s geometry in order to assure that one is buying something that could become a musical instrument.
    Years not to buy.....1970s Martin have the saddle slot placed about 1/16” too close to the 12 fret....the scale is off. The latest guitar on which I have seen this problem was a 1982 D-35. This can be remedied, but why buy problems unless the price is right. FYI, this scale error for that time period is well-known among luthiers, repairmen and experienced Martin players.

rand z likes this.
  8. Freeman Keller

Just to clarify what Wally said here - some 1970's do have their saddle slots in the wrong place but not all of them. I have a 1974 D18 and a 1980 D12-28, both have the slot in the correctly compensated location and both play in tune all the way up the neck.

However the 70's are considered the low point for Martins in terms of construction, sound and maybe some other issues. They were suffering from too many warranty repairs and over the years they make bracing and bridge plates heavier to compensate. Up to some point in the '80s they did not have adjustable truss rods - some of them have pretty high amounts of relief. Most guitars from that era are in need of a neck reset. Often they have cracks around the pick guard and/or the side.

The good news is that since they are not particularly collectable and often are hard to play because of the neck angle, you can sometimes pick up a '70's D28 or D18 for relatively not much money and you can have these problems dealt with. With a little "hot rodding" by someone who knows what he/she is doing a 1970's Martin can be a killer player's guitar. Mine are

Martins.jpg

I will add that being in the UK might make it more difficult to find someone who can do the work for you, I only know of people in the US.

BB, Stubee and Wally like this.
  9. Wally

interesting...I did have an early 1971 D-28 that had the slot in the correct position, but all of the later ones I have seen were incorrectly placed. And....I built the first correctly compensated saddle for a steel string that I ever saw almost 30 years ago because I got tired of acoustics that could not play in tune. A ‘classic’ uncompensated saddle will never play in tune. I also build a 7 section saddle for 12 strings that is the only saddle I have ever seen that will allow a 12 string to play in tune. Yes, I am fanatical about intonation. That angle is a basic compensation, but within the width of the saddle one must give [email protected] string added compensation IF one wants the instrument to be able to play in tune.

10. Freeman Keller

Bryan Kimsey has a good discussion on his web site about what to look for on '70's era Martins. Bryan did the work on both of mine, I build guitars and do repairs but I wanted the paper trail of having the work done by someone respected in the industry.

The operation of filling the saddle slot and rerouting is not that difficult if you have the proper jig, which I have. That lets you get the slot precompensated in the right spot, then its just a matter of doing each string. Most of the time I just do it generic but there is a cool little trick of putting a small piece of wire (a hunk of B string) on top of the flat saddle and moving it around to get the intonation correct, then shape the saddle to have that break point. Works very well on 12 strings

11. Wally

I have done the work....before I build the saddle I know where the compensation points are depending on the slant of the slot.

12. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

‘17-now should be pretty close, if indeed that’s when the 28 got the treatment.
    I’m looking at HD-28’s. I think they were reimagined in ‘18.

13. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

And yes, go lurk on the UMGF.
    I do.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.