best lubricant for B-bender?

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by Guitartom_ca, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

ALL oils attract dust - sorry, but that's the way it is. The weight of the oil is totally irrelevant - now, "attract" may not be really correct, so I'll refine this a bit (pun intended) - dust STICKS to oily surfaces. It doesn't hit light weight oils and say "excuse me, I'm in the wrong line...I'll go over there with the 40-weight gunkers".

I'll add that graphite is handy in a pinch - but it has no chemical binder and rubs away pretty darned fast.

To repeat what Will said early in the thread - oils (including Vaseline, a petroleum product) damage and/or discolor many plastics. Luthiers do not select plastics based on oil resistance, so oils are just a bad choice overall.

The industry has shifted to dry teflon, which leaves a microscopic, non-oily film that is slick and abrasion resistant. If you take the back off of a PG, PW or Evans bender, hit every moving part with dry teflon and actuate the mechanism a few times (this is AFTER you have cleaned ALL oil residue out - meaning you probably need to take it apart; steel players do this kind of thing regularly and they have a lot more to deal with) you'll notice a change in the "action" of the bender...it'll be much smoother and "lighter" feeling.

It makes no sense to me that players still use oils after threads like this (and the 100 or so threads of the Steel Guitar Forum).

2. TopNut

TopNut TDPRI Member

using oil to lubricate isnt a problem providing you select the correct oil for the application, they do not always discolor plastics, are not always petroleum based and are not always cutting agents.

3. dtongay

dtongay TDPRI Member

I am assuming the g (wound) string is getting hung up in the nut when it's articulated and will not return to tune, but remain slighly sharp. Yeah, I know, run-on sentence. I installed a G-B-Drop D hipshot on my honey and immediately had this issue. I tried every lube I could find. Eventually, I contacted HipShot directly and was sent a set of their string trees with tiny little rollers on them. These, combined with winding my string on the tuner all the way down (about ten to twelve winds) to lower the angle of the string off the nut has resulted in the best scenario. It works well enough to live with it. Only the truly enlightened or those with perfect pitch will ever know. Kudos to HipShot for their knock-out service. They sent them free of charge.

4. Bunky

Bunky Tele-Meister

Hello, sorry to revive an old thread.

But teflon lube isn't available where i'm from anymore. Is anybody agreed on next best lube?

and...

does the hipshot b-bender need to be lubed with anything anywhere?

5. ForrestLeeJr

ForrestLeeJr Tele-Meister

It may be the acid from my sweat eating the saddle... I dont know... but since I've used a pencil... never had a problem.

6. Bunky

Bunky Tele-Meister

how do you use the pencil, shave the lead off with some razor or something?

7. LISA

LISA TDPRI Member

the best lube is probably ky jelly lol

8. rod

rod TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Hey Bunky

LISA may be right, but I use "Finish Line" , a dry teflon lube that's available at bike shops. Cyclesmith on Quinpool Road carries it.

9. Bunky

Bunky Tele-Meister

rod: you are the man.

Lisa, why don't u and rod talk lubes, and see which works best.

10. 8painting

8painting TDPRI Member

Lithium grease.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.