1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Best live tone you've ever heard?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by metalosophy, Apr 14, 2021.

1. metalosophy

metalosophy Tele-Meister

I've seen a few of the older guys in the past years, as well as Slash, Zakk, Petrucci, Abasi, The Cult, Metallica... I put my time into hard rock and metal when I was younger.

I always thought Larry Carlton had the tone of the gods, and he does, it's perfect. But the best tone I ever heard? The one that blew me away and made me want to buy all the same gear?

Robin Trower.

Absolutely perfect. I still haven't bought a RTO and JCM, but it's certainly on my list. His use of the wah pedal in conjunction with taming his crunchy feedback, pulsing perfect aural goodness.

2. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

The Vapors - the "New Wave" guys that did "Turning Japanese" in the 80s. I saw them at a bar in NYC a couple of years ago. 2 guitars, Les Paul and Tele, both into AC30s. Loud and saturated, but they got clean sounds by backing off their volume knobs. I think the lead player had an overdrive pedal of some sort for solos. Nothing else. Pure rock and roll guitar.

3. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Afflicted

Eric Johnson, Brian May, Robben Ford.

I have not seen or heard Ty Tabor IRL though. But on record and live flicks, it's monstruously epic. I havent seen RT in real life, but it's enough good tone on his records..Michael Schenker had good tones back in the day, but lost it. His UFO years, is peaked in tone. Although his actual playing and technique bettered over the years, he lost that "timbre" of his. I do not care that much for his music though. Run-of-the-mill 80s hair metal... but there are others. I think EVH had the greatest tones of them all a long time ago. That voltage dimed thing he used, and "brown" sound. But as with Brian May,the actual band they played in, left a lot to be desired.

4. Roscoe295

Roscoe295 TDPRI Member

Probably Mike Campbell with Petty & the Heartbreakers

5. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

A guitarist in my band in the '80s. Flying V through a modded Marshall half stack. He dialed it in everywhere we played.

Old Plank likes this.
  6. PARCO

PARCO Tele-Meister

I played at the IBC in Memphis in 2008. Nick Schnebelen was in the band that won the whole thing. He played a Firebird through a Cat 5 amp and the sound was incredeble.

Old Plank likes this.
  7. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

Tony Iommi had an excellent live sound. Same with Adam Jones from Tool.

8. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

Jay Farrar of Son Volt at the Belly Up in Aspen, Colorado. As far as I could tell, it was an import Gretsch, Turbo Rat, and reissue tweed Bassman.

9. Nahtabot

Nahtabot Tele-Meister

Greg Koch and the Tone Controls at Sandy's Bar in Sheboygan,WI.

It may have been the buzz but I doubt it.

10. 2L man

2L man Tele-Meister

I have not been many concerts lately but Edge/U2 almost ten years ago when they did use 360 stage was very impressive.

11. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

Johnny Marr. Saw him at a small venue in Detroit. I was literally standing right in front of him. It was a religious experience.

12. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

YES! His sound is perfection, every show.

kLyon and effzee like this.
  13. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

I saw Trower live back in the day and he indeed had epic tone. But so did a lot of people.
    Toy Cauldwell of Marshall Tucker was alway consistency good. Joe Walsh's tone in the Rocky Man Way era was also pretty epic. Dicky Betts and Duane had good tone too, at least on record. I came along just a little too late to catch that pair live. Rev Billy G has always been a fav.
    These days, Dereck Trucks, Jimmy Herring, J Mayer, many players out there who have a live sound that I always enjoy.

14. Oldsmobum

Oldsmobum Tele-Holic

Never once thought about it. The closest thing is when the mix is mud- I’ve never gone to a live gig and judged the “tone”...

And I’m a gear head. Imagine the other 99.5% of the audience who can’t even spell “guitar”.

Makes me feel foolish sometimes.

pi and Old Smokey like this.
  15. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

Yep, came here to say Marr. Saw him with The Smiths a long time ago at Madison Square Garden (very long ago) and Pretenders. Saw him with Matt Johnson / The the very close in an intimate theatre. He is (and I hate to say stuff like this) one of those guys who brings his own tone, it's his technique.

Also, cliche but SRV, I love his tone. Brian May and Mick Ronson are my 2 favorite guitarists all time and neither of them are particularly showy, but legendary tone. The lead from Moonage Daydream is all I ever need to hear for the rest of my days.

16. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Dead Meadow

Manual Slim likes this.
  17. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

Prince

Old Plank, Mad Kiwi, dented and 3 others like this.
  18. Modernelove

Modernelove Tele-Meister

The best guitar tone I ever heard live was North Mississippi Allstars at a festival. I'm not a huge fan of them but it stopped me in my tracks.

billy logan and Cosmic Cowboy like this.
  19. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Peter Green, Jesse Ed Davis

20. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

For me it was Dickey Betts and Dan Toler, live Allman Brothers, ( late 1970's) touring for the Enlightened Rogues album.

Two absolutely soaring Les Pauls ( clean but powerful), and both guitar players ( and entire band) absolutely in control of dynamics-
    The instrumentals were epic, panoramic. Amazing

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.