Best Live gigs you've been to

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by spdruce, Apr 19, 2019.

1. spdruce

spdruce TDPRI Member

Thanks to everyone who posted, it's been interesting & inspirational & as always just a blast to read. Great to finish off with a poster posting a poster!! Could be a whole new thread there!

2. tomi

tomi Tele-Holic

OK ... let's go semi-chronologically...

I saw The Who twice, once on the Tommy tour and once on the Who's Next tour. Saw Elton John on his tour for Tumbleweed Connection. Saw the Byrds with Clarence White at an outdoor festival in 1970, and Muddy Waters at another festival around that same time. Saw Taj Mahal in a college coffeehouse in 1972. Saw a double bill of Roy Buchanan and Boz Scaggs in 1974. Saw Stuff with Eric Gale and Cornell Dupree in the late '70s.

I saw Stevie Ray Vaughn at an outdoor festival in the '80s. His set had already started while I was walking from my car, and I remember thinking, "Aw, that's not so hot, anybody could play that," until I got to the stage and saw that he was playing behind his back.

I saw The Pretenders when they still had Pete Farndon and James Honeyman-Scott. Saw Lucinda Williams on the Car Wheels tour with Kenny Vaughan on guitar. I've seen Richard Thompson a bunch of times over the decades, and he's always been fabulous.

I'm sure more will come to me -- those are just the ones that jump out right now.

3. Rev Rhythm

Rev Rhythm Tele-Meister

I saw Lindsey in a small, maybe 200 person venue maybe around that same time. Put on a great show.

4. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

5. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Meister

Rush in KC in 2013. After many, many years I finally got to see Rush with my dad (and his two buddies he used to play with back in the day), so that was special beyond being an absolutely incredible show. They played for like 3 hours and just tore it up and we were in the 7th or 8th row dead center. It was amazing.

Streetlight Manifesto in Atlanta last year. They were doing the anniversary tour for the Everything Goes Numb album, so they played that front to back for the main set, but worked other songs in from other albums in these really cool arrangements as bridges of the main songs. And then did 3 encores.

Midland last month here in Augusta. They were opening for the Zac Brown Band (who totally punted, terrible show) and 100% stole the show. I'd never listened to them before, but they had some hired gun on lead work and really channeled some Sticky Fingers-era Stones vibes and did some solid covers of classic southern rock tunes. It was the best straight ahead rock n' roll I've seen. Unfortunately the album work is significantly less interesting.

Brian Setzer's Rockabilly Riot in Charleston last summer. Wife and I had my folks in for vacation and took them to see it. Great show. Brian was incredible as always, but his whole band was just on point and were clearly just having a ball and that spread to the crowd. Felt like a patio show on some dude's tiki'd-out back patio in '58 or something. Loved every second of it.

Forgot one! Machine Head in STL in 2015. I can't remember what happened, but the venue they were supposed to play had some technical failure and they moved the show to some tiny dive punk bar and gave people the option of refunding the ticket or going there. Absolutely went to that little hole in that wall and had my brain liquefied. Everyone was crammed in so tight they couldn't move and they played for about 2.5 hours and took requests from the crowd for the last few songs. Super cool dudes and just poured on the gratitude for having fans that would follow them to such a dump on a day's notice.

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  6. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

Slim Cessna' s auto club. Because of the weirdness.

7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Two solo shows were standouts, too.
    The first was Steve Earle at Antone’s (on Guadalupe) circa 1988.
    He was late (arriving), about an hour late.
    He apologized, and really made up for it.
    The next was Joe Pass, circa 1990.
    He was a little cranky, but astonishing relentless, and swinging.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.