Best Lighter Weight Teles Available?

ddk1

TDPRI Member
Looking for a new tele but since I've had bad back issues in recent years would prefer something that doesn't have 8+ lb weight of many traditional Tele styles. All suggestions welcome but would prefer not a squire.

ParkAmp50

TDPRI Member
I had a Custom Shop Tele with a basswood body It was a featherweight with very definable Tele tone.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Looking for a new tele but since I've had bad back issues in recent years would prefer something that doesn't have 8+ lb weight of many traditional Tele styles. All suggestions welcome but would prefer not a squire.
Sorry, mine's a Squier...
( got it in Nov., as my 2004 Standard Tele was just not getting played anymore, due to its weight, and MY weight!)
....but it is spectacular!
Very comfy player, great neck, clear pickups ( good sustain, clean or dirty) 6 lbs. 4 oz.

Just played, on weekend gigs!

Attachments

• IMG_8558.jpg
    IMG_8558.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 20220603_174002.jpg
    20220603_174002.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 22

StewieCopeland

TDPRI Member
This guy's selling a Baja on Reverb that has a light aftermarket body (he thinks Allparts, I happened to ask him about it the other day) and the guitar is 5.4 lbs

Last edited:

Wayne Alexander

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Some Fender Custom Shop Teles / Nocasters can be 6.5 - 7 pounds

Brad Paisley a mentioned above.

If you're good at guitar assembly / setup you can build a partscaster that's quite light. The neck and other parts will weigh 3.5 to 4 pounds, so if you want a 6.5 pound guitar you need a body that weighs 3 pounds or less, if you want a 7 pound guitar you want a body that weighs 3.5 pounds or less.

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
During the 2020 quarantine I bought a couple of Teles from Sweetwater that I was very happy with. One was a 2020 Fender American Pro Tele (not the current II model) that weighs 6.62 lbs. and the other is a MiM 2019 Fender Player Tele that weighs 6.84 lbs.

Sweetwater lists the weights of their in stock guitars, however my experience is it's better to ask your "sales engineer" to verify the weight. They will try to talk you out of it. I don't care about a tenth of a pound or two either way, but I've had to send a couple of guitars back that weighed more than a half pound over listed weight. It won't cost anything to ship it back, but it's time consuming and a headache.

BTW the American Pro II comes in either alder or pine wood and the pine ones are usually lighter. However, I would avoid the guitars made out of pine as the soft wood dents and dings too easily and the screw holes can strip out after awhile.

AmProTeleSb.jpg
FndrPlyrTele&Amp.jpg

Last edited:

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Pine bodies can get down into the 6-7 lb. range. And they have that character that less-dense woods have. Check on eBay.

kuch

Tele-Afflicted
I'm not in the habit of weighing my guitars but my G&L Asat classic thinline is a LOT lighter than my Am Std Ash tele by at least a couple of lbs. the am std is the natural finish
They both sound great in their own way.

04 G&L Asat classic thinline.jpg
20220331_123010.jpg

Pcs264

Tele-Meister
I have a 2019 AmPro I that's a FSR Lightweight Ash (Factory Special Run, not a Custom Shop). It's a great guitar in every way, including its 6 lbs 10 oz weight. Mine came from Willcutt Guitars; I doubt they still have any new ones, but I'd check there and also check Reverb and eBay for used ones.

user name

Tele-Meister
I have pine body "barncaster" made by a guy up in Portland named Mattos. He does nice stuff, reasonably priced. Mine is super light and plays and sounds great

ddk1

TDPRI Member
I'm not in the habit of weighing my guitars but my G&L Asat classic thinline is a LOT lighter than my Am Std Ash tele by at least a couple of lbs. the am std is the natural finish
They both sound great in their own way.

View attachment 1003789 View attachment 1003790
Thanks. I like the sleek look of the blues boy. Is that Indonesian made? Also can you tell me if the neck is slimmer than most chunky tele necks, and does it have a natural Saturn smooth finish on back of neck or high gloss ?

JIMMY JAZZMAN

Tele-Afflicted
Squier Affinity Telecaster has belly cut, very light and the pickups are pretty good.
At $200-250, best buy on the market.