1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Best Les Paul alternative?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Flat6Driver, Nov 25, 2017.

1. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

If you really want a Gibson Les Paul and have never had one... I guess you should buy one.

Having had a number of them (and still have a couple of them), I'll say that if I lost all of my guitars (I think I have 21 or 22 at present), the first one I would replace would be my version of a Fender Les Paul:

[​IMG]

It's a Fender Blacktop HH, rib/belly cut in the back, housing two Gibson Classic '57 pickups (which have magnets swapped to AlNiCo V for a touch more high end 'sparkle'). Today, Fender sells these as Tele HH Standards (you bring the Gibson Classic '57s).

I find this guitar MUCH more comfortable and enjoyable to play than any Les Paul, and it offers that Gibson '57 humbucker tone that I have come to really appreciate for the warm, fat, AND sparkly tone and no noise. The guitar doesn't sound exactly like a Les Paul, nor does it sound like a Telecaster. It sounds like a "Fender Les Paul"! And in my view, is brings the BEST of two great worlds (Fender and Gibson), all wrapped up in one fantastic instrument!

I've surprised myself at how much I love playing this guitar AND the Gibson Classic '57 humbucker tones I get from it.

I like it much more than either of the (very nice) Gibson Les Pauls that I presently have. And this is in part because I play sitting down most of the time and I really dislike the heavy weight and the imbalance of a Gibson Les Paul. A Fender Tele, with the rib cut on the back, is among the most comfortable playing guitars I've ever had the pleasure of sitting down with. (I call it a 'rib-cut' because when you're sitting down with it, the 'belly cut' is positioned about where your ribs are and enhances the comfortable body fit of the guitar.

And if you do decide to buy a Les Paul... may I recommend a "Traditional" model with Gibson Classic '57 pickups. I think they sound better than the Standard models with Burstbucker pickups, and they're not as expensive.

And finally, if I needed/wanted to buy a Gibson Les Paul today... I would choose an ES-Les Paul (no burst finish, though) with Gibson Classic '57 pickups - if I could find one that was as well-built as I would want it to be.

If you're in the market - this is my Les Paul Standard. And guess what! I'm planning to sell!
    [​IMG]

At present, it houses a pair of Dimarzio PAF Master pickups, but the original pickups are included. This is one heck of a fine Les Paul, if a Les Paul is what one desires.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    OlRedNeckHippy and brookdalebill like this.
  2. TELECULT

TELECULT Tele-Meister

This is a picture of a guitar that I bought last year.
    It is a Cort M LTD SB with mahogany body neck through and a spalted bubinga cap.
    It is very well crafted although the hardware is a bit naff being gold but that is an easy fix and it has Seymour Duncan pickups that will be upgraded. Not bad considering that I paid $ 310 including hard case and shipping .
    Incidentally the neck is rosewood with abalone markers .
    In my opinion it is a pretty good alternative to a Les Paul.
    It might not say Gibson on the headstock, but my BSB Classic Vibe says Squier and that is not an issue either.

Attached Files:

3. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

My japanese made Crews Maniac Les Paul is as fine a guitar as anything the Gibson standard line makes. Full nitro, 58 neck, perfect.
    FB_IMG_1509133655697.jpg

Or...

The Schecter tempest is a great double cut Les Paul inspired guitar. Mahogany and maple cap, 24.75 scale, good stuff.

20170831_134123.jpg

4. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

gtrguru likes this.
  5. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

brookdalebill likes this.
  6. TELECULT

TELECULT Tele-Meister

They are some nice instruments, but they don't have Gibson on the headstock, therefore they are but mere trifles and follies.
    Yeah, right!

7. tomtama

tomtama TDPRI Member

This is my recent Les Paul substitute, Music Man Armada.

Guitars.JPG

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.