1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Best Les Paul alternative?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Flat6Driver, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

I can harness all the power of TDPRI to shop for me!!!

Actually I found a black Studio at the store nearest me that just came in (I was there Friday). $499/Fair no case. I called at lunch and spoke to the guy that bought it for the store. Just checked, it's already off the website. Wow.

2. luckett

luckett Banned

I'm not sure what your point is because the strings on the guitar in that pic are evenly spaced.

3. Peckhammer

Peckhammer Tele-Holic

Wanna bet?

StewMac: “If you space the strings equally, they don't feel equally spaced. The thicker bass strings seem crowded together. Each gap between strings has to be slightly different to feel right to the player.”

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  4. Badspike

Badspike TDPRI Member

Well here's something a bit different! A Line 6 Variax JTV59. Pretty much a nice Yamaha Les Paul clone with the Line 6 electronics. The pickups sound good on their own and the line 6 models get you into the ballpark on some of the different modeled sounds. Baseball bat neck and nice looks. I like mine!

5. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

I've been wanting to get a humbucker guitar that's lighter than my Epiphone Les Paul, and the Pro Jet is a candidate. May I ask a few questions?
    1. I have a G5420T hollowbody with those same "blacktop" Filter'Trons, and they have noticeably lower output than the Probuckers in my Epiphone Les Paul. Does the Pro Jet's solid body make that much difference in sound?
    2. How much do Pro Jets weigh compared with a Les Paul? (My understanding is that the more recent ones, with blacktops instead of "Gretschbuckers," are lighter.)
    3. If you have the Bigsby version, how well does it stay in tune? The Bigsby on my hollowbody has zero tuning issues that I'm aware of, but it's a simpler design, and I do hear complaints about the Bigsby unit on the Pro Jet.

6. luckett

luckett Banned

Sure, I'm all in. If you think that the strings on that guitar are not equally spaced, you are incorrect. Pay up sucka!

[​IMG]

7. luckett

luckett Banned

And here is a random Fender American Pro Tele with equally spaced strings. Someone needs to tell Gibson and Fender that they aren't making their guitars correctly.

[​IMG]

8. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Okay, got it...price differential, and point of origin. And no offense taken here, John. I was just wondering if you were referring to build quality. And though I know this is a thread about LPs, I wasn't thinking of an LP model when I asked for clarification.

What I'm currently GASing for is a jazz box, and I can't afford Gibson prices. Even used on GC's site, they go for $2-$4K. So I'm looking at the Epiphone Joe Pass Emperor II, primarily. $700. And when I say "looking at," I mean online; I haven't had a chance to see or play one in person. So build quality is a concern. The price differential here between used USA Gibson to Chinese Epi is pretty wide.

9. luckett

luckett Banned

Here is a Gretsch White Falcon that has equally spaced strings. Does anyone have an example of a manufacturer that doesn't make their guitar with equally spaced strings?

[​IMG]

10. Peckhammer

Peckhammer Tele-Holic

Yes. Collings Guitars. I have several. They are made correctly. At the nut, strings are not spaced the same distance apart. They are the same center to center. Since the strings are not the same diameter that means they are not same distance apart.

Google "string spacing ruler" for futher explanation.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  11. luckett

luckett Banned

I'll look them up. Here is a $13k PRS Private Stock and a Parker Fly with equally spaced strings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  12. luckett

luckett Banned

Here is a Collings with equally spaced strings.

[​IMG]

13. JagInTheBag

JagInTheBag TDPRI Member

14. Peckhammer

Peckhammer Tele-Holic

They clearly are not. Do some research, and speak to a luthier or Guitar tech. Photoshop is not a digital caliper.

Stock Fender American Pro Tele Deluxe
    IMG_4956.JPG

IMG_4953.JPG

IMG_4955.JPG

15. cntry666

cntry666 Friend of Leo's

I have a 5420T as well. I have a non bigsby version of the Pro Jet. Lighter than an LP for sure. This guitar is perfect in every way. Stays in tune for sure. Check out the Gretsch 5435T or regular 5435. You won’t be disappointed.

16. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I’m sure it’s a nice guitar, but it sounds nothing like a Les Paul.

17. luckett

luckett Banned

I can hold my digital caliper above my guitar showing arbitrary measurements of my choosing also. But I'm not going to bother taking pictures of it and posting them.

18. Peckhammer

Peckhammer Tele-Holic

One of us has a guitar repair business and one of us is a troll.

19. luckett

luckett Banned

One of us showed that most guitars have equally spaced strings and the one of us got angry and pouted when their specious claim was shown to be wrong.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  20. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

I stopped by GC again tonight and stayed until they threw me out to close. They had a PRS Tremonti that was gorgeous grey flamed maple. I plugged that into a Blues Jr (since I have one) and cranked up the preamp and dimed the guitar. It sounded nice, got a good dirty tone. Then I plugged in a 2017 faded LP and di the same test. That's the sound. Ran through some Neil Young riffs and made some noise. Wow. (Heck I might have played this guitar th other day, but the sound was intoxicating. PRS sounded so tame next to it. They also had the top end Humbucker Revstar (not the flames one I posted) and that had a similar glorious sound.

I tried a couple of Gibson LPs and Epis. The Gibson hands down had a much better neck. Seemed almost half as thick. One of the Epis had almost a wide flat neck. It was odd. I couldn't believe how thick the necks were on the Epis.

Fun evening.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.