1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Best Les Paul alternative?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Flat6Driver, Nov 25, 2017.

1. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Friend of Leo's

My alternative is a les paul. I have several bolt on Lp 100s and epi les paul specials. Enjoy playing them a lot. Some I've put better pickups in. A lot of them came with way too hot pickups as they were aimed at kids.

I also have a Gibson SG and a lot of hollow/ semi hollow guitars.

2. john kleeman

john kleeman Tele-Holic

I filled this niche with a 96 Hamer studio. It's the best guitar I've got. Nice neck shape, SD Seth Lovers, thick maple cap. Even the Korean copies they did are pretty sweet. The PRS SE Bernie Marsden deserves a gander as well. Really a fine quality instrument. My local shop has one for $599.00. I'd be on it like sweat if I didn't have the Hamer.

Flat6Driver likes this.
  3. AAT65

AAT65 Poster Extraordinaire

The PRS SE245, which is the singlecut option these days if you want a hardtail, is (as the name implies) a 24.5” scale length — and I think in fact very close to the Gibson 24.75” because of differences in the way the scale length is measured. I’ve seen it reported as 24 9/16ths.
    (I believe the Gibson scale length measurement is maybe based on the compensated length of the strings, ie nut to bridge, rather than double the length from nut to 12th fret, which is how Fender and PRS measure it.)
    The Bernie Marsden, which I think they don’t make anymore, is also 24.5” and with a very nice slightly chunkier neck carve.

4. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

It's just the price differential. The very affordable Epi Les Paul Bolt-On student guitars are ok I guess. If a student or a modification enthusiast wants to buy 1 $179 bolt-on Les Paul then fine but we all know that it's not a Les Paul.

When you get into the better Epi Les Pauls that are kind of like a USA Les Paul then you're spending $450-$650 on a Chinese guitar. I wouldn't do that. I would watch craigslist and check the used stuff online with Guitar Center or Reverb and I would spend $550 on a guitar that was made in Nashville.

That's just me. It's just my opinion therefore it's worth next to nothing. Please don't be offended.

I just buzzed through used LP Studios on GC.com

Crestwood store - $549 - nice Studio

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Gi...Faded-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-113742286.gc

Bridgeton MO - $579 - Nice studio

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Gi...Faded-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-113513555.gc

Atlanta - Studio Deluxe with Gibson hard case - $749

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Gi...eluxe-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-113766812.gc

Brea Store - 50's Tribute Gold Top - $640 - (I have one of these; it's great)

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Gi...eluxe-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-113766812.gc

My 2015 SG Faded; purchased new at Brookfield GC for $567.

[​IMG]

Many guys who buy Epi's drop new pickups into the Epi. $450 + $75 + 75 = $600. I just can't do it. I would spend $75 more and get a new Gibson guitar that was made in the USA. That's just me. We're all different.

5. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Rospo and bender66 like this.
  6. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

There are several import brands doing decent Les Paul copies (Agile, etc.), but I would not put too much stock in reports of quality issues with current Gibsons, especially if you hear about them on this site, which seems to have an anti-Gibson bias amongst many of the members. Really, the only Gibson era that was truly problematic was late-1970's through probably late 1980's.

Flat6Driver likes this.
  7. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I've had mostly Les Pauls since I got my first one in '76. If I had to get an inexpensive one, I'd get a studio faded with a carved top. You get mahogany, you get a solid maple top, you get a set neck, a couple humbuckers, stop tail and tunematic bridge. That to me is a les paul. A fancy veneer stuck to some non mahogany just isn't in my book. These can be had for 4-500 hundred dollars in the used market. You can get some other thing that resembles a LP, but it isn't a les Paul...and that's what you really want, right? :)

Add 100 -150 dollars worth of parts..

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=362171644058

https://reverb.com/p/gibson-les-pau...g0iDL7N2Yp6_a2KZx0EaAtmJEALw_wcB&hfid=7280891

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  8. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

The above is basically true, however bargains turn up on the Epi's also I paid @200 out the door for my '05 Custom (W/bag) at GC I had the option of $500 (+tax no bag) on one of those LP Faded Specials from a few years back. I'm happy with the Black Beauty, and the $300 difference paid the bulk of a second guitar..

9. BobbyB

BobbyB Tele-Afflicted

Get a Gibson Les Paul Standard or an Epiphone. I have a 2013 and 2015 Gibson Les paul Standards one with the 60's profile and one with the 59 profile necks.
    Both are awesome guitars in every way. Just go to the store and try one. ALL manufacturers have lemons out there. You have to either go to the store or purchase online where returns are no issue. I ordered both of mine from Sweetwater and they were perfect. If your going cheap get the epiphone. They are great. PRS SE's are cool but dont sound like a Les Paul at all.

10. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Poster Extraordinaire

I'd definitely recommend looking at the PRS Bernie Marsden if you can find one. I tried one recently (actually played by Bernie himself!) and it was very nice indeed and most definitely had a Les Paul vibe to it...including the weight. In fact the first thing that struck me on picking it up was how much of a LP alternative it was - and for a lot less money.

john kleeman likes this.
  11. Peckhammer

Peckhammer Tele-Holic

Sure. I just bought a Gibson last week and it was the worst example of craftmanship I've seen in a long time: http://www.tdpri.com/threads/gibson-335-vs-epiphone-335.785308/#post-8012657

12. Peckhammer

Peckhammer Tele-Holic

Strings on a guitar are not evenly spaced, or else they would be crowded on the bass side.

13. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

I totally disagree with this.

In fact, I like my old 80s Burny les paul from Japan, better than every american made Gibson Les Paul I ever had. And it cost me all of 400 bucks.

OP, if you can find one (I see them from time to time on ebay) go for it.

fendertx likes this.
  14. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Well I never said it had to be a Gibson :p

Point was that a PRS SE Custom for example, while a dual HB guitar, doesn't really get you all the way into Les Paul territory. For me, it was far enough that I ended up buying the LP too.

15. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I've had lots of Gibson Les Pauls.
    I've had a 55 gold top, a 56 Junior, 2-68 gold tops, 2 -69 gold tops, a 72 gold top, and at least 20 reissues of various types.
    I've also had tons of knock offs.
    They all are hard to keep in tune.
    The "real" ones all seemed "darker" sounding than the knockoffs.
    They all sounded great with a little attention.
    I have two reissue Pauls now.
    If I find a knockoff I like more, I'll move the reissues on.
    I just want one that sounds good and stays in tune.
    Not having much luck, and I know how to set guitars up.
    Still looking.

16. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

I have the same shirt :D

I'm gonna be a smart aleck and recommend a Gibson SG as a LP alternative!

Flat6Driver likes this.
  17. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Holic

Greco made some very good Les Paul guitars, the EG series is quite good, from the EG550 up. The EG550 (sometimes called “Super Power”) has a lighter chambered body, but also has Gibson features like fret edge binding. The 600 through 1000 increase in quality, finish, and get better pickups as you move up. In Japan an EG1000 sells for about the same as a genuine Gibson Les Paul Standard.

The best Les Paul is probably the Japanese Navigator. They come in two flavors, amazing and incredible. The low-end model is $3500, the high-end model is $4500. You can have it made as you like, choose your own materials, etc. You can still get a Brazilian rosewood fretboard, and elephant ivory nut if you pay a little extra.

ozan and brookdalebill like this.
  18. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

rondomusic.com makes good LP guitars, they say. I had a Hadean tele from them before and it was built really well.

Zepfan likes this.
  19. NashvilleDeluxe

NashvilleDeluxe Tele-Afflicted

Good call on the Vintage brand. I had the Vintage V100GT (Gold Top). The P-90's weren't terrible, but they're stacked coils...and therefore not really P-90's. I put some Sanford Magnetics P-90's in (9022's), and it became a wonderful guitar. Until it got stolen.

Great playability...one of the best necks ever.

20. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

The music I can make isn't worth that kind of money!

Ex-riverman likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.