1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Best Les Paul alternative?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Flat6Driver, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

I had an early '80s Ibanez Artist AR300 that was all the Les Paul I'll ever need. Played it for 20 years till the fat frets wore down. I preferred the double cutaway body, too.

richiek65 likes this.
  2. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

I did notice that, but I also measured(on my screen) in comparison to the fret length and it still is off center. May be a little, and then amplified by the strings being off to the high side,

3. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

Heritageguitars.com
    I own a 1995, H140. Fabulous guitar. Superior quality, through and through.

I also own a 2005 Gibson Studio Faded. No bells or whistles, very plain, but all Les Paul. I replaced the pots with a pre-wired set of Golden Age. Way better.
    The faded Paul's seem to go for around 500 used.

4. luckett

luckett Banned

If you flip the image, you can see how far off the strings are and how close to centered the inlay is. The inlay might be off by very small amount, but it's really close to being centered. It's either the nut or bridge that's not properly centered creating the optical illusion of the inlay being off center.

[​IMG]

5. Gmountain

Gmountain Tele-Holic

I think it's the thickness of the strings that causes the illusion.

6. luckett

luckett Banned

It's not the thickness. The string centerlines are offset. It's right there in the picture. If it were just the thickness, the strings would still be centered on each other.

7. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

I got 3 pages in & hardly see mention of checking out SG's. Still get mahogany body/neck, HB's, & a different feel than an LP.

Brands? I'll leave up to the OP. There's some good quality stuff to be had depending on your budget.

8. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Since you are buying at the low end the Gibson Les Paul tributes are AMAZING guitars at ridiculous prices.Also don't believe the internet BS about the quality"issues" of Gibson since they make the best guitars in their history,with the exception of the fifties and sixties, WAY better than the ones made from 1970-2000.

ac15 likes this.
  9. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Being I adjust my low E a lot closer to the FB edge [when/where feasible] than the high E which I might pull off the edge of the fret way more easily... All mine look off center I guess.

OlRedNeckHippy likes this.
  10. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

This Rondo guitar is more of a PRS 25" scale clone, but it does LP really well and goes for less than 200USD. Real Mahogany neck and body with Maple cap.

Attached Files:

11. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Reverend’s discontinued Roundhouse, (which looks more like a tradional Paul), or the current Sensei line. They offer the advantage of better quality control & customer support, including a bass roll off, that renders greater tonal range than your typical Les Paul. Some older Roundhouses are mahogany, (so there can be weight issues for some), this is why the switched to the more consistant korina. A used Roundhouse will be awfully hard to beat, when it comes down to overall quality, features & bang-for-the-buck...to bad some people can’t get beyond labels.

Zepfan likes this.
  12. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Some people can't get past labels. I might be one of them. The Yamaha gets a big reaction when I take it out to jams....that's always fun. Some nights it's all Strats and PRS. As I posted this the other day, I can't get my mind off some of the semi gloss black LPs. The all black ones with no binding just don't look right.

All that said, I definitely need to get my hands on whatever I look at. I played some kind of a clone the other night and my hand cramped up playing barre chords in very short order. The balance of the body is also something I forgot I find weird about these. (The owner of this guitar had it up around his chest like a jazzed and not like Slash).

13. LPTyler

LPTyler Tele-Meister

I say get the LP if you like them. When I have something else in my mind, nothing else will scratch the itch.

Flat6Driver likes this.
  14. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Afflicted

Add me to the group of people that believe there's no alternative to playing a real Les Paul.

I have several double and triple 'bucker guitars in my arsenal but none - and I mean NONE - can hold a candle to my '78 Les Paul Custom. It has a killer tone that makes women get weak at the knees.

ac15 and Flat6Driver like this.
  15. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I thought a Tele was the best alternative to an LP...:twisted:;)

djh22 and memorex like this.
  16. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

And I was just about to say that.

LGOberean likes this.
  17. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Can you elaborate on this, John? What is it about Epiphone guitars that freak you out? Or is it just the Epi LP models? I had the impression that Les Paul himself said that an Epi LP was a real LP. Is that just ad copy/hype? Or am I remembering it wrong?

18. alfabit1

alfabit1 TDPRI Member

I went through this itch a while back. I was after a les paul style, but didn't have to have an exact LP, was just after mahogany, LP-ish shape, sound on lower budget. Ended up looking at Agiles, Epiphone, Cort, ESP, PRS, Dean Evo/Michael Kelly Patriot, Ibanez, and probably a few others. The lower end ESPs (and some of the newer ibanez i think?) are thinner than a LP which knocked them off my list.
    I narrowed it down to Agile/MK/Dean Evo due to budget - ended up I caught a MK Patriot for real cheap so it won, Korean made (believe the Dean Evo is/was the same guitar), quite nice and ticked enough boxes. Higher end Ephiphone and the Gibson LP Tributes / Studios look like great buys if the budget permits.

john kleeman likes this.
  19. Mississippi_Kid

Mississippi_Kid Tele-Meister

So true...so true.

20. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

The Vintage! That's the clone I played the other night. Didn't like the neck for sure. :(

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.