1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Best Les Paul alternative?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Flat6Driver, Nov 25, 2017.

1. luckett

luckett Banned

If you really want a "Gibson", there are good ones out there for decent prices if you spend the time looking for one. Although it's much easier to find a better guitar at a lower price that doesn't say "Gibson" on the headstock.

Piggy Stu likes this.
  2. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

You are probably right.

This looks like a smoking deal and it's black. What's wrong with it?

http://www.samash.com/les-paul-50s-tribute-2016-t-electric-guitar-glpst5hxxx

3. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

Try out any of the newer, made in Japan, Tokai Loverock ... You won't be disappointed.

4. luckett

luckett Banned

It's made by Gibson.

just kidding

I wouldn't buy a Gibson I haven't put my hands on. The quality control, finish and feel is all over the map with Gibsons.

5. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

If you like it nothing... Some won't like weight reduction, others the pickups, others the finish (which having seen it in person is too.."busy"? for me, you might love it.. the ebony option is nice) The gig bag vs case is a problem for some, as is the lack of neck binding..the list goes on. With a LP perhaps more than any other electric you should spend some time in your search, there are so many variables, and overlaps that it's hard to give straight ahead advice. If this one is intriguing I would say order it, and see what you think, might be perfect, if not send it back.. Keeping in mind you may wish to budget for a case..

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
    Flat6Driver likes this.
  6. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I get my “Gibsonish” HH fix from my Guild solidbody M 75. Not the same as a LP of course but the mid 70s models are decently priced vintage instruments with great quality during a time period when Gibson’s were not known for for their peak quality production.

OlRedNeckHippy likes this.
  7. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Afflicted

robt57 likes this.
  8. cntry666

cntry666 Friend of Leo's

Gretsch Pro Jet. So amazing. Even the Electromatic models at $399 are much better than my Les Paul.

9. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

By all means , try anything out in person
    I just have to have everything the right shape , so I have to buy Gibson
    I dont care one bit about binding and finish , so I ended up with 3 Studios. Best bargain out there if you buy used , IMO
    There are many LP ish guitars out there and you might love one of them
    The outstanding quality of japanese clones , Tokai , Burny etc , is nothing more than an internet myth , IMO

10. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Loads of options out there. If nothing but THAT shape and feel will do, shop around for a good used LP studio or play a bunch of Epiphones until you find one that works. If you want the sound and basic look and feel, the PRS SE singlecuts are totally great guitars and you can find them on Craigslist for 3-400 all day long. The S2 line is made in USA and reasonable as well. My PRS SE is possibly the best guitar I have ever owned (except for mojo and street cred) and that includes some pretty decent guitars and three Gibson Les Pauls (one of which was very good).

But I'm sure the other guitars that people have listed are great too - there are just a million choices out there.

11. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

This may be nitpicky, or it could just be the stock photos or a flaw in my perception, but EVERY picture I have seen close up of those tributes, it looks like the 15th fret inlay is off center towards the bass side. It could be a perspective thing, but I spent about a half hour the other day looking at different stores photos of Tributes, and they all look off center. The Studios from the same stores did not. So, I don't think it is a perspective issue.

Anyone with a tribute want to confirm or deny this, I would love to know if it is just the stock photos, or my mistake or what.

12. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

It may be that the guitar is slightly angled, but every sellers picture looks that way.

[​IMG]

13. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

I like that. Kind of a Jr, but with a Maple arch top and it's cheaper too.

14. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

I'd say go with that, it's got the right logo. Great find by the previous poster.
    After the warranty wears off, I'd be tempted to sand the top and do a natural or yellowed finish on there and leave the factory finish on the sides/back. Then push/pull the tone pot for single coil (I do this on my Jr and I like it a lot).

LowThudd likes this.
  15. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

I was thinking Gold top myself, but yea a great deal there for a Gibson LP.

16. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

I forgot to put in pictures.

Washburn WI66V
    [​IMG]

Washburn WI64
    [​IMG]

Asmith and brookdalebill like this.
  17. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

The low E sure has a lot of real estate to the edge of the fretboard. Causing that off center visual maybe?

dogmeat likes this.
  18. luckett

luckett Banned

It's not just the low e. All of the strings are offset to the high e side. The inlay is pretty much right in the center

19. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Friend of Leo's

I own 53+ guitars. I've got just about every style of guitar you'd want.

I've also play a lot of LP's from cheap to the very expensive models.

I'd say if you want to buy the best LP style guitar that will really get you there for a lot less, I say go the Epiphone Elite/Elitist route.

I'd never played or owned an early 2000 Epi Elite/Elitist model before, but had heard great things about them.

I ran into an '03 Epiphone Elite LP Custom in a pawnshop for $300.

It's an amazing guitar the plays killer and sounds amazing.

It is easily in my top 5 guitars in my collection for playability and tone.

If you can find a used Elite/Elitist LP Standard or Custom for $700-$900 in good condition, that's the route I'd go.

20. dr_tom

dr_tom Tele-Holic

I have a late 70's Tokai 'Les Paul Reborn' goldtop. It's the best Les Paul I've ever come across. I used to own a Gibson Les Paul Jr and the quality of that was amazing, but it was made in the early 2000's.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.