1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Best Les Paul alternative?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Flat6Driver, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

I have been thinking of getting a Les Paul. I have read all about the quality issues and it's not the same as it used to be, etc. etc. I buy on the low end as it is, was thinking of a Studio or this two year only run of LPJs. Anyhow, if not to get a LP, what would be a good sub for that double humbucker sound you get with one of these?

2. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

I was looking very hard for an early Les Paul when I ran into a G&L Ascari.

Mahogany body and neck with a pair of fairly aggressive P-90's.

It satisfied my quest, but if your looking for humbuckers that would be a different story.

hemingway likes this.
  3. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

I like my Gibson LP Studio.

I've played a few of the Gibson Les Paul Tributes as well and they're good

Higher end Epiphone Les Pauls are also quite nice.

People are seem happy with PRS SE series, a few models are Les Paul-ish.

Some things to look at.

Piggy Stu likes this.
  4. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

I prefer my Vintage Peter Green Lemon Drop to my mate's Gibson for about a quarter the price.

5. Zipslack

Zipslack Tele-Meister

Agile? (Rondomusic.com)

6. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

PRS SE Single Cut or Tremonti.

Epiphone or ESP can get you there, too.

I've only played one (unplugged, straight off the wall) and they're ugly as homemade sin (in my opinion) but the Tregan Shaman they had at a mom and pop music store a few years back had a neck I dream about and felt and looked like real quality workmanship.

Dismalhead and brookdalebill like this.
  7. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

I will say this, having done this awhile back. If you want a Les Paul, get a Les Paul. Don't expect another dual humbucker guitar to be a replacement. Not to say something like a PRS SE isn't a good guitar, but it's its own thing. For me, it didn't scratch the itch.

With that out of the way, I am very pleased with my 2017 Tribute. It's not too heavy, has a set of pickups I like, frets allow a nice lower action, no qc issues. I got it for a little over $700 with a gig bag.

8. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's

I have a CMG Ashlee that I love. Picture below.
    They are made in Statesboro, Ga. with all US sourced materials. I took a plant tour and watched them making guitars. Two piece mahogany body with a carved 3/4" thick maple top.
    Check for CMG Guitars on Reverb.

IMG_20161017_1514339_rewind_kindlephoto-22080778.jpg

9. Flat6Driver

Thanks fellas, How would an Epiphone be of any better quality?

A PRS has it's own scale, which is a little in between a Fender and a Gibson, right?

10. Steve Ouimette

Steve Ouimette Tele-Holic

You know what is an incredible guitar? Yamaha Revstar. Not "for the money", just a great guitar period. I actually ended up selling my Gibson Les Paul R8 aged by Tom Murphy and replaced with with the 2 humbucker Revstar and couldn't be happier. Mine is the made in Indonesia model, not the made in Japan (more expensive) one.

There's a used on on Reverb right now from Sam Ash for about $750.

https://reverb.com/item/2670456-revstar-series-rs820cr-electric-guitar-rusty-rat-used

YYZman, AAT65, TigerG and 1 other person like this.
  11. Flat6Driver

Well......I do like my P90 version.

23736201_1999636913646043_6862163444445081355_o.jpg

12. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Search Ibanez AR250's on ebay or reverb. I just sold one that was about 17 years old. You can probably find one for $300. The one I sold was just like this....

[​IMG]

I have 4 Les Paul's and the AR250 was best (affordable) copy from a weight and tone and neck feel. The pickups on the AR's sound very Lester-like.

I don't think that PRS guitars sound like Les Pauls. I have a PRS SE and it's a great guitar but the scale and tone don't remind me of playing a Gibson guitar.

Epi's freak me out.....if you buy an Epi that comes close to the quality of a real Les Paul you're going to be near the cost of a real used Les Paul. Rather than spend $450 on an Epi just spend $550 on a used Les Paul.

13. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

I second the " if you want a Les Paul, get a Les Paul " line of thinking. The first time I went LP shopping I ended up getting an SG because I got an exceptional price on it. Great guitar without a doubt but after a little while the little guy in my head was telling me " yeah, nice guitar and all but... " I finally got my LP about two years ago. 2016 Trad in Desertburst. Fantastic guitar, I won't change a thing on it. I honestly think this whole QC thing is a bit overblown. Yes, some guitars will have issues. Guess what, so do Ferraris. It's like all the cool kids have to bash Gibson. Try a few, you'll find one you like soon enough

stax, AJ Love, RockinforJesus and 3 others like this.
  14. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

Hagstrom Swede

15. Artslap

Artslap Tele-Afflicted

Yamaha SG 2000

16. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Used PRS Custom, not the SE version. They even made a McCarty they were sued over. Custom 22 or 24 - solid, great necks. Get the right one, it almost replaces a Strat and Les Paul altogether.. I gave a 2004 I put a TBX tone pot in. Awesome. Fantastic pickups, versatile switching, superlative finish. That's why mostly pros with no endorsement deal play them.

Mississippi_Kid likes this.
  17. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

I have played a bunch of Tributes and liked most of 'em. If you want something lighter and inexpensive, the '90s Korean 335 clones are well built, under a heap of different brand names and can be a real bargain.

18. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

An Ibanez I had back in the late 70's and early '80s. Had three humbuckers, which was one more than it needed so I just ignored the third one (I don't even remember how the switching worked). It weight three tons and is probably still sustaining some of the notes I played on it back then. It had an ebony fingerboard and it played like no guitar I've had since. I'm not really a Les Paul type of guy, but that was a phenominal guitar. I never played a REAL Les I liked as much and I played a few...

-Ray

19. Flat6Driver

When I bought mine, they had the matte finish humbucker versions (top end) and the P90 green one. They also had the low end Humbucker versions. I recall liking how the P-90s sounded a lot better and didn't like the matte finish (the way it showed every fingerprint). I forgot they have some better, but not top of the line versions that compare with the one I got. (Or maybe these are new). This is glorious looking:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RevStar620BC

Steve Ouimette likes this.
  20. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars TDPRI Member

I have played a lot of the other brands(Yamaha/Hamer/Epi/Ibanez). I bought a Historic in 2003 swapped out pickups and electronics as I gigged to see what I really wanted. Buy used.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.