Best Ipad nd ipad apps for gigs lyrics and set list

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by drewblue, Oct 25, 2021.

1. drewblue

drewblue Tele-Meister

For practice and acoustic gigs i want a ipad for lyrics set list etc. which size do you guys think works best for this. Also any good apps for making set list that arranged lyrics. Also songwriting. Thanks to all

2. soul-o

soul-o Friend of Leo's

I use iGig Book to import PDFs of chords and lyrics.

dscottyg and Ron C like this.
  3. bigbean

bigbean Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I use Onsong. Works pretty good.

Peegoo, 985plowboy, dscottyg and 3 others like this.
  4. telewhacked

telewhacked TDPRI Member

Another vote for OnSong. Works great and has just about everything you need for gigging.

5. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Onsong…hands down

Peegoo, dscottyg and Ron C like this.
  6. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Holic

I recommend a full size iPad, just easier to see.

For software, I went a different route using Apple's spreadsheet program (Numbers) and iCloud. There were some songs where I just needed a couple of reminders (e.g. "Ron closes with cut on 1 then riff out" or first line to each verse) and others where I needed full lyrics or a chart.

So I did a spreadsheet in Numbers on the MacBook with the songs in order and the short reminders one column over. Songs where I needed more got their own tab. I'd type it up on the MacBook, and the iPad could pull it down from iCloud. The bandleader would send out a set list by the day before, and I'd just re-arrange the rows to put them in the new order, with all the unused ones in rows farther down the sheet.

This system worked really well, but I have seen some pretty cool programs that some jazz friends used. They looked like a really crisp, clear RealBook with annotations.

EDIT: OnSong looks interesting. If I get back into the gigging game, I'll look at that instead of my old method.

Old Deaf Roadie likes this.
  7. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve used On Song for a long while. Well over 7 years.
    It works great on my 5th generation iPad Air.

An iklip mount on my mic stand is fairly unobtrusive and puts everything I need at my fingertips.

When I ran an open mic/jam I used it for tunes I didn’t know that well or in a key that I didn’t know. Transposition was just a couple of taps away.

WinWin

ce24 likes this.
  8. drewblue

drewblue Tele-Meister

Yep sounds like ill give em all a shot got a roland street cube ex. Today May grab another to link So full size or pro ipad. No air or mini

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
  9. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

I use On Song with an iPad too. It's pretty intuitive and the auto scrolling works pretty well. Plus, I can export the while set list and send it out to the band if they want to practice on their own.

10. John O

John O Tele-Meister

I've been using GigHard! app for ipad. I download lyrics and save them as a .txt file in notepad on a windows pc.
    I then copy them to a folder in dropbox (there are other options but i already had an account.) Then I open dropbox on my ipad and open that lyrics folder, and import the .txt lyric files into the Gig Hard! app. The app was free, but i paid a one time $15 fee for a module in the app that allows creation of setlists for gigs, using the .txt files. pulling up the sets for a gig is easy once you learn the thing, and they auto scroll while you are playing/singing, can vary the rate, "toggle in and out" of the set lists easily. Maybe there's an easier or better one, but this one works for me.

11. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Holic

Can't go wrong with OnSong on an iPad. Particularly good on the 12.9" iPad Pro.

12. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm
    I’d avoid a mini. Scrolling is the trick on tablets.

OnSong is best in class and the Tabs pro app is worth having. The tabs and details in the pay for pro features are good.

but if I have PDFs I just drop them into iBooks library.

Our band use OnSong and we have a shared library of all the numbers synched.

13. fuzzbox

fuzzbox Tele-Meister

Happy OnSong user with my ipad pro. igig was my first app and still use it's pop and jazz fakebooks (no lyrics though).

14. 985plowboy

985plowboy Poster Extraordinaire

iPad Pro
    On song

15. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

Regarding apps, I just use iBooks, which came installed on the iPad. I think Apple has since renamed this app to just "Books". I actually prefer to make the set lists, lyrics, chord sheets, etc. on a computer in PowerPoint...just copy/paste your lyrics in and add performance notes as necessary by drawing arrows, circles, etc. Save the PowerPoint slides to pdf and then just open them in iBooks when on the stage. The iBooks app allows you to search on terms like "Mustang" or "Sally" and then it goes right to that slide...like in case you have to deviate from your prearranged order of songs to field audience requests.

drewblue likes this.
  16. Peegoo

Peegoo Doctor of Teleocity

I've been using OnSong for a few years and like it. The collaboration options are super cool.

Don't cheap out: get an AirTurn foot pedal. It connects via BlueTooth and allows forward and backward scrolling (smooth scrolling or page by page), as well as other options for foot control of OnSong. This is the one I have; there are other models with waymore buttons.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KFRPL3P/

17. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

I prefer to use a black background. This is basically what my sheets look like on the iPad...

[​IMG]

18. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

OnSong

19. drewblue

drewblue Tele-Meister

Thanks to all im gonna get on song on a ipad pro

20. brokenbones

brokenbones Tele-Holic

I use Set List Maker.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.