Best inexpensive Hendrix-style fuzz

richiek65

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm extremely happy with this, knocked my DOD Carcosa off the pedal board and it was a third of the price. More gilmour than Hendrix but worth a look

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's
Given that I'm a penniless teenager, I also need this fuzz to be less than 70 dollars. Does anyone have any suggestions?

For fuzz on a budget, I'd have a look at the TC Electronic Rusty Fuzz. Not sure of current availability, but they were/are in your price range.

For something with a little more bite, check out the TC Honey Pot fuzz...

Ringo

Poster Extraordinaire
I just got a Caline Fuzzy Face, it's a Fuzz / Octave Fuzz, pretty cool and cheap, Caline pedals seem to be well made. Mine has the octave switch on the RH side, the one in this video has it on the left side for some reason.

naneek

Tele-Holic
this probably won't be a popular answer, but

the danelectro french toast will give you perfect purple haze style octave fuzz. It can even do a great job getting jimi's classic fuzz tone if you use the fuzz with some natural overdrive from your tube amp.

I paid $15 for mine.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter

the danelectro french toast will give you perfect purple haze style octave fuzz. It can even do a great job getting jimi's classic fuzz tone if you use the fuzz with some natural overdrive from your tube amp.

I paid $15 for mine.

I think there is a lot of love in Guitar Universe for the French Toast
( a clone of the Foxx Tone Machine, I have read)

I have had mine for 20 years, I think.
I always found it had a great Fuzz with or w/o Octave.

But just too powerful an output jump for me to even try on my lower volume gigs. ( especially now) Or I don't play the right music for the pedal

It's not going anywhere, so maybe someday!

E5RSY

Doctor of Teleocity
I'm extremely happy with this, knocked my DOD Carcosa off the pedal board and it was a third of the price. More gilmour than Hendrix but worth a look

I once read someone say this pedal is more a distortion than a fuzz. I pretty much agree. I think it is based on a Big Muff, which have always kind of straddled the line between distortion and fuzz.

richiek65

Poster Extraordinaire
I agree with the Big Muff aspect, and with gtr vol rolled off it gets back into distortion tones, but wide open is glorious fuzz..

There's also the TC Rusty Fuzz which I believe is FuzzFace based?

richiek65

Poster Extraordinaire
That's right.

Man, I can't believe you don't play your Carcosa anymore. What a great unit.
It was good, but I found it hard to dial in for the sound I was looking for, the Honeypot just nails it. Plus they are commanding good prices these days so I sold it and bought the TC, a Donner Yellow Fall and a Ditto looper (all second hand)

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I bet it is in this one somewhere...at SW and MF for $126 right now.

fuzz bender.PNG

Bluego1

Friend of Leo's
I got my first of the Chicago Stompworks Black Friday fuzz pedals yesterday. Pyramid Principle. Puts my little Donner to shame. Now I’m a fuzz fan. The Pyramid is a triangle big muff clone. Out for delivery as we speak are the Black Fudge (Maestro clone) and the Pained Guy (680 White Can clone. The white can was the second most popular Ram’s Head muff, behind the Violet one). Still on sale, the Fudge is 50 bucks, the Pyramid is 70 and the Pained Guy is gonzo. Was an extremely limited run.
d0Zhhg8.jpg

fraser

Tele-Afflicted

I paid $15 for mine.

yup, good option.
The. French toast is pretty similar to a silicone fuzz face, and the octave up gives you the option of an octave up.
I dont know how available they are, but they are cheap.
That what i used before i built myself a fuzz face.

other than that, any of the fuzz face variants out there will do.

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
I think it's worth asking what guitar and amp the OP is using. The Fuzz Face design is great with a Strat, but less than optimal with a humbucking guitar.