Best inexpensive Hendrix-style fuzz

BoomTexan

Tele-Meister
I'm not really interested in a harsh Behringer Super Fuzz type pedal, I want more of a medium and warm fuzz that cleans up real easy with use of volume knobs. My ideal fuzz sound would be a Jimi Hendrix, Rhett Shull, or Gary Clark Jr. type fuzz that can be easily used on heavier blues. Given that I'm a penniless teenager, I also need this fuzz to be less than 70 dollars. Does anyone have any suggestions?
I was previously using a Joyo Octave Fuzz, but something inside made it microphonic and I just couldn't deal with the constant radio chatter whenever I clicked the octave switch.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I'm not really interested in a harsh Behringer Super Fuzz type pedal, I want more of a medium and warm fuzz that cleans up real easy with use of volume knobs. My ideal fuzz sound would be a Jimi Hendrix, Rhett Shull, or Gary Clark Jr. type fuzz that can be easily used on heavier blues. Given that I'm a penniless teenager, I also need this fuzz to be less than 70 dollars. Does anyone have any suggestions?
I was previously using a Joyo Octave Fuzz, but something inside made it microphonic and I just couldn't deal with the constant radio chatter whenever I clicked the octave switch.
I'm kind of looking for the same thing too, a Fuzz Face ( with real guitar Volume knob cleanup) on the cheap.
It seems like good sounding, cheap Big Muff and even Maestro Fuzz clones are out there. Plus Rat clones too ( I have one!)
But a Fuzz Face type seems to cost $100+
I'm interested in the Germanium Dunlop FF-2 mini FF ( red with black knobs) but these are $129
The other Dunlop Silicon mini FF's are closer to $100 and seem popular.
But there is something about the red Ge one I'd like to try!

SpikeVelvet

TDPRI Member
If you are a DIY type and can build your own, General Guitar Gadgets has a kit for $55 or $60, depending on which options are selected

https://store.generalguitargadgets....e-replica-complete-kit?variant=32408604639316

Info about building the kits can be found at this link:

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/effects-projects/fuzz-tones/fuzz-faces/

There is a 15% off sale now so that makes it $46.75 - $51. The kit can accommodate the standard Fuzz Face as well as the Fulltone ‘69 and ‘70 and the Joe Gagan Easy Face. I recently built an Easy Face and I love it. It makes the FF super versatile but still has the original sounds.

If you use the search function here there are many, many informative posts about the rabbit hole that is the FF. Good Luck and enjoy!!

aFewGoodTaters

Tele-Meister
If you are a DIY type and can build your own, General Guitar Gadgets has a kit for $55 or $60, depending on which options are selected

https://store.generalguitargadgets....e-replica-complete-kit?variant=32408604639316

Info about building the kits can be found at this link:

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/effects-projects/fuzz-tones/fuzz-faces/

There is a 15% off sale now so that makes it $46.75 - $51. The kit can accommodate the standard Fuzz Face as well as the Fulltone ‘69 and ‘70 and the Joe Gagan Easy Face. I recently built an Easy Face and I love it. It makes the FF super versatile but still has the original sounds.

If you use the search function here there are many, many informative posts about the rabbit hole that is the FF. Good Luck and enjoy!!

DIY kits a lot of fun and can sound great. This 'Lil Black Keys kit from BYOC can be had for $50. Their instructions are easy to follow and this circuit is simple so it's good for a beginner. Just takes some patience and basic soldering skills. It will get you close the the tones you are looking for:

https://buildyourownclone.com/collections/fuzz/products/lil-black-key-kit

beyer160

Poster Extraordinaire
For a factory pedal, the FFM-2 (the red one with black knobs- the red one with white knobs is totally different) is the one you want. They're available used for under $100 all the time. Silicon ones like the Dunlop FFM-1 or MXR108 have more bite than warm fuzziness, and don't clean up as well.

DIY is always worth doing, too.

SpikeVelvet

TDPRI Member
DIY kits a lot of fun and can sound great. This 'Lil Black Keys kit from BYOC can be had for $50. Their instructions are easy to follow and this circuit is simple so it's good for a beginner. Just takes some patience and basic soldering skills. It will get you close the the tones you are looking for:

https://buildyourownclone.com/collections/fuzz/products/lil-black-key-kit

I’ve built several BYOC kits and their quality is top notch. Their documentation is very thorough and noob friendly.

I would put GGG as a close second behind BYOC for a noob friendly build.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
For a factory pedal, the FFM-2 (the red one with black knobs- the red one with white knobs is totally different) is the one you want. They're available used for under $100 all the time. Silicon ones like the Dunlop FFM-1 or MXR108 have more bite than warm fuzziness, and don't clean up as well.

DIY is always worth doing, too.
Good to know, thanks!

I've actually owned the MXR BC-108 Si fuzzes ( big and little ones) and just did not bond.
Harsh fuzz, and not good cleanup as I had hoped*

* this could be just, an issue with me and any Fuzz, as this fuzz just seemed too loud for me, and my lower to moderate volume gigs. Would love to just have a Fuzz I can leave ON, control from guitar volume.
I'd like to try a mini FF-2

aFewGoodTaters

Tele-Meister
The Dunlop Mini germanium and the Dunlop band of gypsys fuzz is exactly what you want for the JH sound. They also are very dynamic/clean up with the guitar volume knob.

I agree both these pedals are great for Hendrix style fuzz, but OP states the pedal needs to be less than $70. I’m not saying it’s impossible to find either of these for $70 used, but he would need to be patient, make a bunch of offers and hope a seller bites.

Cyberi4n

Tele-Holic
Dunlop BOG Fuzz, pick one up second hand if you can. Epic fuzz pedal…

C1777338-3D77-4C87-92D6-7EDF12CD778D.jpeg

Len058

Tele-Meister
I've got the MXR Classic 108 mini. It's nice to have the buffer option to play with (combination wah and face squeel). I made a clone from 'das musikding' but it's a bit noisier than the MXR.

I also have the Joyo but that's a totally different thing. I use a diy ringmodulator to get the octave bit.

VintageSG

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
How inexpensive do you want?

The Tom's Line G-Fuzz is a germanium fuzz and the Rowin LEF-606 is a silicon. Both are excellent fuzzes, both respond beautifully to the guitar volume control too. They can be velvet smooth or velvet glove on an iron fist. Either one will get you there.

Another favourite fuzz of mine isn't a fuzz, but please don't let it know. It's a Behringer VT911. Meant to be an overdrive. Nope. There are published mods to rein in the skronkiness, but embrace it. Don't swap out the supplied valve either. The crappier, the better. It makes for belting good Asheton tones, but wierdly can settle back to a rich, spitty snarl. Again, I feel I must reiterate that it's a bilateral lower limb amputee in an arse kicking contest as an overdrive, but for piss & vinegar playing, it comes good. Very good.

I've built a few. They aren't difficult. Transistor or op-amp kits are readily available if you don't fancy Vero'ing one.

beyer160

Poster Extraordinaire
I agree both these pedals are great for Hendrix style fuzz, but OP states the pedal needs to be less than $70. I’m not saying it’s impossible to find either of these for $70 used, but he would need to be patient, make a bunch of offers and hope a seller bites.

You know what they say-

Good, fast, cheap: pick any two.

Generally when you buy a cheap/alternate version of what you want, you wind up buying the thing you actually wanted later on down the road anyway. Been there, done that, have the T-shirt. An extra $30 isn't that much of a lift- my advice is always to save your milk money and buy your last gear first instead of wasting money and time on intermediate steps (unless you need something immediately or the price difference means saving for YEARS).

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Just me ( an aside):

I have no problem with mini pedals ( no battery) if they are delay/reverb or modulation, as:
1) they are going to stay on my pedal boards ( small, but daisy'chain/ 1-Spot- powered)
2) they usually require more power for processing effect & best to use AC adapter vs. Battery

But when it comes to any fave dirt pedals, I just like the convenience of being able to grab a 'battery pedal' and use it alone at a jam, practice at home w/o pedalboard

Plus except for rare active pedals ( ex. my Bad Monkey), most batteries in dirt pedals last a long time.

( just me thinking out loud- about how the red Dunlop FF-2, kind of covers all the bases even if it is over $100/new)

- Germanium FF, with good guitar Volume cleanup
- small. still takes battery, but looks like a Fuzz Face
- AC adapter power too
- LED
( I feel a Christmas gift to myself on the horizon!)

BoomTexan

Tele-Meister
How inexpensive do you want?

Another favourite fuzz of mine isn't a fuzz, but please don't let it know. It's a Behringer VT911. Meant to be an overdrive. Nope. There are published mods to rein in the skronkiness, but embrace it. Don't swap out the supplied valve either. The crappier, the better. It makes for belting good Asheton tones, but wierdly can settle back to a rich, spitty snarl. Again, I feel I must reiterate that it's a bilateral lower limb amputee in an arse kicking contest as an overdrive, but for piss & vinegar playing, it comes good. Very good.

I actually had a VT999, sold it a little while ago. It DEFINITELY wasn't the type of overdrive I was looking for. Way too harsh for me lol. Thanks for the recommendations!