1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Best Hendrix solos to learn for leveling up

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by loopfinding, Nov 27, 2020.

1. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

Hey all, I love listening Hendrix but I’ve never really taken a deep dive into learning most of his solos. He’s always pretty restrained in his more well known solos, and I can play them just fine. To me they’re just sort of fundamental good rock soloing. I don’t need any help with things like all along the watchtower, but I’d like to get his style more under my fingers more deeply.

Recently I started to learn some of the licks from the live version of red house in Sweden and found that it was a lot more useful for taking things beyond the fundamentals for me. I can think of some live things like machine gun that can maybe scratch this itch. I was wondering what recommendations you had?

superjam144 likes this.
  2. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Afflicted

Hey baby and little wing.

thunderbyrd, loopfinding and stinkey like this.
  3. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Dolly Dagger and Freedom, and the set-closing instrumental from Woodstock to work on octaves.

Power of Soul from Band of Gypsies to pick up chord voicing.

- D

loopfinding likes this.
  4. kbold

kbold Tele-Afflicted

I think you're going to get a list of all Jimi's songs.
    Red House is a good start.

SRHmusic and loopfinding like this.
  5. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

not to sidetrack, but to me.... the obvious heir to Jimi is Eric Johnson. He covers quite a few Hendrix songs. he takes the style to another level, plus he has his own twists. particularly his phenomenal chord work. and tone

6. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Friend of Leo's

I always loved (and i still do) all the solos that he did in All Along The Watchtower, just great....
    There are others of course.....

7. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Afflicted

Hendrix was a hammer on wizard. Hey baby and little wing really encapsulate his style. That deep bluesy rich tone. Expressive.

8. Imnotarobot

Imnotarobot TDPRI Member

Red House is packed full of great riffs to learn!

9. loopfinding

personally I hate EJ’s music but his pentatonic lines are almost sort of late Coltrane-ish in a weird way and def have picked up some cool useful stuff from it.

dogmeat likes this.
  10. loopfinding

haha yeah, I guess I should have thought before posting.

11. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

With all due respect, I think that this dude is somewhat more obvious (don't get me wrong, they are both fine players):

bromdenlong likes this.
  12. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

This one is worth working on. Lots of nuance.

There were also bootleg recordings of Villanova Junction floating around in the 70s that were absolutely killer. I searched YouTube and could find only second-rate versions like the one at Woodstock, or the Berkeley sound check recording. Maybe someone else knows how to link to one of the good ones like the Maui performance or the Berkeley concert performance.

13. Cheap Trills

Cheap Trills Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Hate's a strong word :). Is it really that offensive to you?

14. loopfinding

almost yeah, hahah. something like late 70s beck stuff gets into era-equivalent cheeseball territory but it still totally grooves and has a quaintness. but the sound of the EJ records or his clean tone is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

15. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

The Wind Cries Mary is a good intro to his double stops. (Just played it live with the tonight, in fact! )

16. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I'd never learn his solos - chances are, he didn't even learn his solos and likely played them spontaneously. There was a transcriber for Guitar World (back in the 80's) who transcribed every little detail of "Machine Gun", and it was completely asinine. He transcribed pick scrapes, scrapes of the vibrato springs, etc. There were a zillion notes in that transcription across several pages - why would someone want to learn someone else's noodling??

I'd been playing guitar maybe 5 years or so, and was hanging out with a couple of dudes who were guitar-playing friends of my youngest sister. They picked up my guitar, played some note-for-note solos by Randy Rhoads and others, and asked me, "Do you know any solos?" I said, "You mean solos by other people? No. I make up my own." They told me I should learn solos by others, and I took the guitar and played some random pentatonic noodling.... one of the guys said, "Wow... what was that?" When I told them I just pulled it out of my arse, they were amazed that someone could do that. I was amazed that they were amazed.

Better than learning other guys' solos, in my opinion it's better to learn some of their technique and licks. You can always incorporate that into your improvising.

bromdenlong and StevesBoogie like this.
  17. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

Say what?

SRHmusic likes this.
  18. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

The solo on "Bold as Love" is absolutely magic and it ain't easy, especially the final flanged part.
    Two more areas where Hendrix can teach you a lot:
    - his "comping"… it's not even fair to call it rhythm playing (and when you think he does that while singing…)
    - his amazing all-round musicianship: awesome tone and texture ("One rainy wish"); expressiveness (that one note at the start of the "Hey Joe" solo is not easy to pull off right); rhythm and note choice.

Yes and no in my view. To learn swing or bop, you have to transcribe solos just to learn the language, and how you construct a solo (the arc, motif development). While it may make less sense to transcribe "noodling" blues/rock solos, it's still worthwhile to learn solos that you think have something good to teach you – provided you put in the time to analyse them after you've done that. And: you can do that while also spending time improvising.

SRHmusic and loopfinding like this.
  19. loopfinding

yeah for sure. was thinking about it in this way. i mean in rock or blues, there's no way that i'm going to remember a 3-4 minute blues based solo, there often isn't enough harmony there for my mind to latch on to it. but it's nice to at least play along for a few choruses to get the feel or phrasing down. or pick some licks that are much longer in length to get some sort of stamina/flow with a line. i don't remember the live red house stuff verbatim at this point, but some of it has seeped into my playing.

20. paul74

paul74 Tele-Meister

From a purely guitar playing perspective some of my favourite Hendrix passing was on the BBC Sessions:
    Diving South
    Catfish Blues
    Hear My Train a Coming

It also has a good versIon of Killing Floor which gives a taste of why Clapton was shaking after hearing him pay it on their first meeting.

loopfinding likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.