1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Best heavy (weight) amps for cheap

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by bdub415, Jan 31, 2021.

1. stylemessiah

stylemessiah TDPRI Member

Well thats weird because my GVT cost me AUD$350 when i picked it up secondsies recently (and it wasnt without drama, in fact the most drama ive had to buy anything ever, see below)...i know they didnt sell well globally and were sleepers, often sold at run out prices. But $350 for a tube amp in Australia is insane.

I got put onto the range by a friend who has the 5w head of this range, always raving about it, sleeper amp ...always i started looking for one, but he had warned me they were super rare here. Found the bigger GVT52-112 (50w/25w) one a state away...more watts than i need but...seller didnt want to do anything but cash...i begged...nope. Week later he texts me "my mate and i bought one each at the same time, hes willing to sell, same price". So i contact the guy and pay for it and for it to be picked up shipped. The shipping company failed to deliver it, lazy driver kept making excuses...even after being ordered to deliver it by midday one day it never appeared, so i told them to shove it, told them they could ship it back, at their cost, to whence it came, and i got my money back. Gave up on them (again)...until, again, one of these rare beasts, in the more functional GVT15-112 format appeared for sale 2 states away. This time it was *light* enough (under 30kg) to use the national post carrier but the guy didnt want the hassle of taking it to the post office. So i gave up again. Was about an hour before id decided to just spend $1,700 on a '65 Princeton Reissue (my original top choice) when another of the rare beasties, in GVT15-1112 format appeared again...40 minutes away. I was on the phone and told it was mine before the ad settled online :)

Its insane, it stays clean all the way to 10...if you need clean headroom, it has it...

I spent the saved $1350 on pedals : for my first pedal board :)

2. Robert Graf

Robert Graf Tele-Meister

No, the super six was the beast.

stylemessiah likes this.
  3. warchol

warchol TDPRI Member

Great deal on that!
    What shape is it in?

4. Robert Graf

Robert Graf Tele-Meister

It's not just the weight that makes lugging some amps around a chore. Cabinet dimensions also make things tough. If you look around, you might be able to find a Duncan Convertible. Seriously awkward to lug, because the cabinet is about 11.25 inches wide. It's a 100 watt beast with all kinds of features, including half power switch, triode/pentode switch, swappable preamp modules and a bunch more. Prices vary, but if you're patient, you might be able to get one for around 300 bucks. 65 pounds and up. Not sure what the Orange Rocker 30s go for, but they're another little brick with an 11.25 depth. Built like tanks. For the buck though, finding a Duncan Convertible will probably give you the most versatility and features. I got one off ebay, in a flight case, for $400 with shipping.

5. warchol

warchol TDPRI Member

Fender Super Six Reverb Amplifier (Super 6 Silverface Amp) - 100 Watts 6x10.
    One on Reverb now for $500

6. warchol

warchol TDPRI Member

Fender amp field guide says 100 pounds!!

7. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Afflicted

Not the greatest. A couple of busted knobs, shoddy tolex mismatched tubes, and the Studio channel bass pot is completely borked. But the normal channel sounds great. It will make a fun project.

8. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

Nice!
    I have a 64 BFTR that weighs a megaton--it had D120s in it--and sounded just incredible.
    I don't even try to lift it anymore, but I paid $150 for it and I can't bring myself to sell it.
    Now I use a Blues Jr with a neo speaker!

9. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Fender Twin, Super, Super 6 (!), Dual Showman (!!) and so on. Everything above a Vibrolux is cheaper than everything below it. I have a real 69 Super Reverb and I have considered selling it, but I wouldn't even be able to trade it for a lowly Princeton these days.

10. bdub415

bdub415 TDPRI Member

Guys, just do some deadlifts at the gym and sell those champs! I’ve learned two things from this thread:

1. Im going to definitely pick up a twin reverb
    2. Old man strength isn’t real

tfarny likes this.
  11. djhblues

djhblues TDPRI Member

Have to agree with you on that. I was in a band in the '70's with a guy that used one. Weighted a ton for sure, but I was envious of his tone through it. Not many pedals available in those days. I was using a BF Twin with a Soul Bender for drive (or was it the LBT-1 in plugged into the input jack before the guitar?) Anyway a great amp for sure.

brookdalebill likes this.
  12. benderb9

benderb9 Tele-Afflicted

I have an old 70's Ampeg V3 Combo that almost pops a nut every time I even look at it. Bought it in 1983 when I got my then new top loader Tele at West LA Music (as I remember). Got the Tele and amp (used) for 500.00 and brought them both to Florida where they still reside. 50 watts into a 16ohm Celestion (stock) and it's not just heavy to lift but pretty danged loud. It did come with casters installed at least. It stays clean all the way up until you go deaf LOL. It was made in Japan with some of the largest transformers I've seen powering the 6550 power tubes. It would drown out my Fender Blues Deluxe. Mostly anymore I play 15 watt or less amps to retain what hearing I have left.

Tim S likes this.
  13. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Peavey Classic VT. 50w tube output section, solid state front end, reverb, tremolo or phaser, 2x12, probably about 60lbs, consistent reliable performance, $200-$300 all day long.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  14. DaveG

DaveG Tele-Meister

See my profile pic for a heavy, unwieldy but great amp. The head is a '72 Vox AC-30 that I bought as a basket case chassis only. Needed a complete rebuild. It was so heavy as-is that I decided against getting a combo cabinet: it's in a replica head cabinet. Which is heavy on its own! The speaker cabinet is from a '60s SS Vox Berkeley II, with the original roller stand, and new 10 in Celestions installed. Although it's sort of a pain to get the cab in the car, at least once you get to the gig you can roll the whole rig around as one.

I also have a '60s SS Vox Viscount, which, with 2 12s and 3 channels, is the size and weight of an AC-30. It's in the basement. :( Everything works, including the built in fuzz! Don't know who would ever buy it. Any takers?

15. Tom Grattan

Tom Grattan TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Huh, not much variety here, Peavey, Fender, Vox. No one mentioned MusicMan amps. I have a 76 MusicMan 100RD with EV1 that is IMO a GREAT amp. It's heavy, 69lbs! but... it's the business through my 58 Tele.

16. jmoore0072blu

jmoore0072blu TDPRI Member

Peavey Classic 50 4x10

17. mrmtele

mrmtele TDPRI Member

I had an Ampeg SVT-CL 300 watt tube Heritage Bass head and a matching Heritage 4 x 10 speaker cabinet. They weighed 80 lbs each and you had to crank it over half way to get it to sound good. I sold it and got a Fender Bassman 500 that weighs about 15 lbs and matching 4 x 10 cabinet at 60 lbs. More watts but solid state with a tube preamp so don't have to push as hard to get a good sound and much easier if I have to move it.

18. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

My son relieved me of my Twin Reverb. He also has a Vox AC30. The Twin weighs 65 pounds and the Vox weighs 80 pounds. I’m surprised I don’t see more AC30 amps for sale for cheap.

I see used Fender Hot Rod Deville amps grind for less that the smaller Ho Rod Deluxe and Blues Deluxe amps. The Deville is a heavier amp.

19. Pcs264

Pcs264 TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

I really like the classic Sunn models from late 60s to around 1970, especially the ones with a head & 2x15 cab. Fabulous tone, lots of headroom, and they look great. Not as common as the big Fenders, but there are always a few available on Reverb.

20. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

I just bought a 1980-something Peavey (made in USA) Bandit 65. 65 solid state watts, 1x12" Scorpion speaker...

...for $100...

Loud as hell...
    Heavy as hell...
    Cheap as hell...

What more could you ask for?

Peavey Bandit 65 - 01.jpg
    Peavey Bandit 65 - 01 - front panel.jpg

Except for maybe the same exact front end... but 120 watts, and a different model name the Peavey Special... same 1x12" Scorpion, too... maybe a few dollars more...

So loud it'll make the neighbors puke... or maybe that is that Peavey tone, not sure... hahaha

I wonder what all they tweaked inside to double the wattage of the Bandit... something sure to soon blow up in proper Peavey fashion...

I actually love this Bandit 65... I've been a Peavey boycotter for 40 years and the price invited my curiosity... now if it holds up for more than a week, I'm in Peavey Heaven, hahahaha

Peavey Special - 01 (120w, 1x12).jpg

Same exact front end/preamp as the Bandit 65...
    Peavey Special - 01 (120w, 1x12) front.jpg

JIMMY JAZZMAN likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.