Best guitar under 1000$

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by archielco, Dec 17, 2017.

1. archielco

archielco TDPRI Member

Hi I'm a mainly indie and rock player looking for a second guitar. My first was a fender squire telecaster but now I'm looking for a guitar which is solid, versatile, great to play and with great tones. I have looked at Gibson and Fender guitars. I like the short scale length of the Gibson guitars as I have quite small hands, but I am aware of the trouble around Gibson at the moment. I am looking for the best bang for the buck available. Any help would be great.

2. oldfish

oldfish Tele-Holic

buy secondhand look at the auction sites theres a lot of nice guitars out there if you look hard .good luck;)

CFFF and troy2003 like this.
  3. archielco

archielco TDPRI Member

Yeah I've seen that kind of stuff and was looking at used fender american standards. Just don't want to buy online without trying in person. If you know any good second hand shops that would be great.

4. Thin69

Thin69 Friend of Leo's

This is really a matter of personal taste. Big difference in Fender single coils and Gibson humbuckers. Why not go to a big guitar store and just play a bunch of guitars and decide for yourself. No need to spend big bucks today! Squires and Epi's are very good.

Pickcity and troy2003 like this.
  5. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

Fender Modern Player Telecaster Plus.
    Fantastic guitar, and very versatile.
    It's been my main on-stage workhorse for a few years now.

Second, consider the Gibson Les Paul Faded.
    Under a thousand bucks at Sweetwater, and looks fantastic in the Worn Bourbon finish. (Not so much the red finish). And she's weight-relieved, which is a blessing. Tone for days!
    I love mine, and I'm just now getting to know her better, after acquiring her in October.

:)

pondcaster and troy2003 like this.
  6. felis

felis Tele-Afflicted

I'm inclined to say almost any (sub 1k MIJ) Tokai.

7. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Afflicted

The trouble with Gibson comes from management (or aficionados)... Guitars are good.

New:
    -The Gibson Faded series are as good as any other Gibson, just the finish is cheaper to do. I helped a friend to buy a second guitar for his lucky son (younger than you are): a Gibson SG Future tribute new from 2013 and heavily discounted at around 500$. New! That's an awesome deal for a killer guitar with powerfull humbuckers and SGs are soo light! The faded cherry red is really nice, not too dull as some other faded finishes may be, and the kid seems to like the min-Etune.

-Fender American special can still be found close to 1000$, strat or tele. Tele of course.

-Definitely have a look at the new Fender Duosonic HS (for versatility...) and Mustang series(Made in Mexico) they are very nice, light guitars with a shortscale neck (24", a hair shorter than Gibson's), not too thin and very comfortable. May need some electronic upgrades or setup but well deserve it at around 500$...

Used: Anything is possible. Fenders , Gibson Les Paul studio, PRS Mira... Look at the Gibson Nighthawk (very versatile and comfortable).

8. Vespa_One

Vespa_One Tele-Holic

Deep down you want a Gibson Les Paul. Go with your gut

Pickcity, william tele and Anode100 like this.
  9. Jules78

Jules78 Tele-Holic

Look at Jaguars. They have a shorter scale. Johnny Marr signature, used.

This thread needs to be moved to the correct forum.

Honest Charley likes this.
  10. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

As others have said, get thee to a guitar shop, the bigger the better, and play everything. Especially stuff outside your price range so you'll be familiar with it if it turns up used. You'll have a much better idea what your options are, and you might be surprised to find something offbeat like a solidbody Gretsch floating your boat.

Epiphones are solid guitars, I have heard good things about Thomann's Harley Benton line, too.

Definitely try to buy used- that's where you get your best bang-for-buck. I have no idea what the secondhand market in the UK is like, but over here Gibson LP Specials (flat-top body like a Junior, but with two pickups) can often be found reasonably cheap.

Whatever you do, try out a guitar with P90 pickups. They've got clarity and high end presence like a Tele pickup, and girth like a humbucker.

Good luck!

11. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

I believe you are approaching this in the wrong way, if you are a indie rock player that implies some degree of artistic license; even if you are playing covers, most folks put there own stamp on them. Your stated approach would be better suited to someone who is looking for a single guitar to cover a wide variety of tones in a working show or tightly arranged tribute band ("The best of classic country" or the "Best of 90's rock just the way it was..!") I would put the price on the back burner except to look at nothing above you budget, you don't need to spend anywhere near that to get what you need which is a well made guitar at that you are comfortable with and will be inspiring when writing & performing. With your stated budget, you are a golden opportunity to get something truly satisfying, so don't rush, try as much as you can, and don't be afraid to step out of the box, when it appears you will know. Also don't be afraid to set aside a major portion (perhaps half or a little better) for repairs, you can buy some really nice things for short money (1/2 to 1/4 of the full value) if you are willing to have some work done.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  12. Chatnoir

Chatnoir Tele-Afflicted

As someone that has the American Special tele - that's the one I went with...and the pickups are awesome!

Laura

Nickadermis, titan uranus and Doug 54 like this.
  13. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

I think you should give a mustang (or a duo sonic) a whirl, short scale and I think fender has more than a few options in terms of pickups in your price range so you should find something versatile enough. Plus isn't the mustang the go-to guitar for indie rock these days?

Edit: They're all about £500 over here so probably $500 in the US. That would leave you with plenty of money to invest in it after, like a good setup including fretwork if necessary. You could also put some aftermarket pickups in it if you wanted (but not necessary).
    [​IMG]

14. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

+1 for the Jaguars

15. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

+1 for the Mustang (the P90 version for my money) and the DuoSonic (the HS). Really well made, good sounding, easy-to-play guitars, & great value for money.
    Another option if you’re thinking maybe along the Les Paul-like line is the PRS SE245.

16. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I too recommend buying gently used guitars.
    I prefer CL to auction sites.
    I like to see and play guitars before buying them.
    $1,000 will buy a great guitar.
    Lots of instruments on CL can be had for $1,000, even ones with asking prices of up to $1,200.
    Many sellers are actually asking somewhat more in order to get an offer of $1,000.
    I am not suggesting to “grind” or lowball, that is annoying.
    Make your offer, and see if they counter, or decline.
    Lastly, almost all major American makers have lots to offer in this price point.
    PRS CEs (bolt neck), Hamer Standards, MIJ Epiphone Elitists and Guild Bluesbird are all fairly common shorter scale
    guitars you could consider.

william tele and Nickadermis like this.
  17. Beakertwang

Beakertwang TDPRI Member

If I had $1000 and needed a great versatile guitar, I’d buy a Reverend with P90s. The guitars are well made, the pickups are great, and the P90s with the bass contour make it exceptionally versatile.

Or...

I’d patiently scour eBay, Reverb, Craigslist, etc. and find two used Reverends at good prices.

richiek65, DavidP and Doug 54 like this.
  18. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

PRS?

19. Beakertwang

Beakertwang TDPRI Member

Also, I really like the J Mascis Jazzmaster and the Sterling Stingray for sub-$500 guitars.

richiek65 likes this.
  20. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

If you want to get away from Fender and Gibson, you could get a used Gretsch 5420 for $500. They're really well-made guitars--at least mine was. Or you could get something from Guild's Newark Street line. I never tried the latter and so can't vouch for the neck size--you said your hands are small. But the Electromatic is easy to play.

I've seen used Gretsch Pro Jets being almost given away.

titan uranus likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.