1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Best guitar for beginner child

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by homesick345, Feb 6, 2013.

1. PrivateIron

PrivateIron Tele-Meister

2. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Ok guys - thank you so much for your contribution. I settled my decision on a taylor GS Mini, or a martin LXM. (both are in the $300 budget, & that's what I want to put on that 1st guitar). If anybody want to chime between these 2, please do - thanks!

I might also get a squier mini strat (in red) on top of that, just in case, along with the yamaha THR10C amp...(too cute)

Toys for the kids & dad :p

3. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

I bought one of those mini Strats for my 7 year old son. It's a "rock and roll" guitar like we see at GC when we stop in. I was going to give it to him this weekend now that the buzz of the Christmas gifts has worn off. And Mom is supposed to be out of town (but she knows about it).

Even messing with my electrics, the body was just too big and heavy and posed a distraction.

4. CrisHendrix

CrisHendrix Tele-Afflicted

Personally acoustics were a huge turn off for me as a kid, but I connected with my squier strat and loved playing around with my crappy crate amp. Then again I wasn't really into any music that was acoustic based though

5. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

A "Stella" !... just like I had in 1959..

same for me in 65...my uncle had a stella and i figured out the songs using single notes....taps was my first song as i remember the bugle when i was in boy scouts and figured out the notes to it. then wipe out ect.

then i got a yamaha fg 180 in 70...then in 71 my grandmother and grandfather bought me a 71 4 bolt oly wht strat...which i still have and it has been and still is my #1 guitar.

but i would probably take him to the store and see what he picks....but i think an acoustic is a good choice. but i would leave it up to him.

6. homesick345

Scared...of BC Rich.........:(

7. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

Another vote for the Baby Taylor or small Martin.

My oldest son learned on a Kramer Ferrington. That is a good small (but full size) guitar.

8. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Do you guys think it is better for them to start on a small scale guitar or normal?

I let my 2 year old mess around with my Telemaster Partscaster plugged into the amp. He likes the noise it makes and he is giving it a relic job at the same time :D

I was proud yesterday, he pulled the Guitar Hero controller out and started acting like he was "playing" it and making distorted guitar sounds with his mouth at the same time

9. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Re: GS Mini vs Martin LXM.......

I would go with an LXM.

GSMini retail - $499
    LXM retail - $279

I travel with an LXM. I have a GS Mini. The GS is a neat guitar....it's a lot like playing a Parlor guitar but it's louder. The GS has a real wooden top and it's more fragile. The LXM is all laminated and the neck is stratabond. Stratabond is bulletproof material. The LXM would be very durable for a child and if you take a trip dad can borrow the LXM and stick it in the overhead on a plane.

I have a black LXM and backpack that I bought off craigslist for $150. A gentleman bought it for his child who hated music lessons. There are really affordable deals out there on used LXM's. If you want to go with a guitar you could buy an LXM and string it with 11's for little delicate fingers. Make it easy.

I'll add this about grownups and LXM's.....the LXM does not feel "Mini" when it sits in your lap. It is a comfortable guitar to sit & play.

10. bendecaster

bendecaster Friend of Leo's

Definitely the baby Taylor or mini Martin for acoustics!

Look at rondo. They've got 3/4 scale SX Tele-clones that are crafted pretty well for around $75

My daughter got one when she was younger and played the heck out of it.

11. roycaster

roycaster Tele-Holic

Duo-Sonic or Mustang

12. jvanhorn

jvanhorn Tele-Meister

A Fender Duo-Sonic or a Fender Mustang are two good choices.

13. FLSailinGirl

FLSailinGirl NEW MEMBER!

Go with what the kid is interested in but I'll throw in another vote for a Little Martin. My son got the LX1E with the spruce top and built in pickup when he was 7 and really took off with it. We had looked at several kid's size guitars and the Martin was one of the few that looked, felt, and most importantly sounded like a real instrument, not just a toy. My son's Little Martin has taken him from playing here in our living room, to local tiki bars and music festivals, traveling to Key West to play during the big annual Jimmy Buffett/Parrothead festival and most recently to be one of the featured videos for the Grateful Dead Covers Project over at Dead.Net. This guitar was worth every penny! :D

14. Codger

Codger Tele-Meister

+1 for the Bay Taylor or little Martin. They are real instruments that will be satisfying and can be kept as travel guitars for life. A friend of mine is a great guitar teacher. He says " never start on an electric, first they need to learn to play guitar, then they can learn to play electric". Besides, you can alway pick up a little electric pretty cheap. I've got one of those 3/4 SX teles. It's a pretty cool little guitar.

15. mudshark

mudshark Friend of Leo's

Peavey T-15...inexpensive, sound great, American made, 23.5 scale...those old Mississippi Mustangs are hard to beat.

16. drett

drett TDPRI Member

I learned on a classical because that was the guitar we had around the house. They may not be super cool, but the strings are very easy to fret, and the wider string spacing requires you to work to make a chord (like the open G). I would definitely recommend against any kind of standard acoustic with a 25.5" scale. They are too hard to play. An electric will cut your kids fingers but will give that gratification others have mentioned. Any short scale guitar with a decent setup would also be a great choice.

17. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

I got my 8 yo girl an Ibby Mikro. Rock the Nation!

[​IMG]

It was about 100 bucks.

My thinking was that electric is more fun (I have an amp for her to mess with), the strings are easy to fret, and narrower neck, smaller scale and body size make it more manageable for her. Tuning stability is not very good, but I haven't tried heavier strings on it. It's also tuned EADGBE, and maybe it'd be more stable if I tuned it up a 3rd or something. We're waiting to see if she really gets into it. I told her 6yo sister that if SHE gets into it, maybe I'll make her something myself. I got the kids a book that starts right away on chords, but only on the first 3 strings at the beginning (kids can play several songs by using only one or two fingers to fret), then adds the 4th string later, and I'm thinking maybe I'll make her a 4-string tuned like a guitar.

18. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

19. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

Let's put it this way. How comfortable will he be wrestling an acoustic ?

Fat guitar body and short arms.

20. homesick345

I like to think (& I'm probably wrong - as usual :p), that wrestling with the guitar is not entirely a bad thing.

Actually you need to wrestle with the acoustic guitar as to build muscle & character for later-on! (probably cause I wrestled with the guitar 35 years ago - & I'm still wrestling!)

But seriously. I ended up ordering the baby martin in koa colour, & a a squier mini strat in red. The whole deal is around $350, & both guitars are:
    1. real
    2. playable
    3. fun

No excuses..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.