1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Best Guitar Design? Tele? Strat? Or?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by JayFreddy, Oct 26, 2016.

In your opinion, what is the best electric guitar design, and why?

Poll closed Nov 25, 2016.
  1. Telecaster (Duh...)

54 vote(s)
    32.5%
  2. Stratocaster

71 vote(s)
    42.8%
  3. Les Paul

8 vote(s)
    4.8%
  4. SG

8 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. OTHER (please explain)

25 vote(s)
    15.1%
  1. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

400% better than any of those.

[​IMG]

songtalk, Snarf, rburd2 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

I love my Tele. It's a partocaster blackguard, and it sounds precisely like it want it to.

But, my bucket list build would be a similar guitar substituting a Strat body and keeping the Tele pickups and hardware. To me, strats are the most comfortable to hold and play. I just don't care for three pickup guitars.

JayFreddy likes this.
  3. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

I disagree about the Jazz Master pickups and trem being superior to those of a Strat, but do agree about the curves, and I wanted to thank you for posting that absolutely gorgeous pic! :cool:

El Tele Lobo, 2-finger and superbadj like this.
  4. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

Tele- all day.

Proper design-not fragile or unbalanced, like a Gibson. Neither is it fussy and flawed, like a Strat. Tough, versatile, brutally effective.

RoyBGood and 2-finger like this.
  5. Tele-Caster

Tele-Caster Tele-Holic

For me, it's a "Super Strat" style thing, with an H-S-S pickup configuration with a coil-tapped 'bucker, rear-loaded so the cheezy scratch plate of a real Strat is dispensed with, and with a single volume and single tone knob located where I can use them on purpose rather than on accident. I want a dual fulcrum bridge with lock-down saddles (a la Wilkinson), a graphite impregnated nut, and locking tuners.

RoyBGood and jvin248 like this.
  6. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I was a dyed-in-the-wool Strat Man for years...I thought the Stratocaster was the pinnacle of guitar design and versatility.

Then I bought a Telecaster.
    Yes, the design is simpler than a Strat.
    Yes, a Strat is more comfortable.
    Yes, the tremolo/vibrato/whatever on a Strat is an engineering marvel.

...but a Telecaster is, by rights, the better design because it is tougher, more stable and more easily repaired. the design is simpler, yet isn't primitive.

A Strat is the supermodel that has certain outlandish and exotic traits that make her attractive, but the Tele is the beautiful girl next door that you love more and more because of her down-to-earth honesty...she doesn't even know she's beautiful, she just exudes warmth.

I love my Stratocaster, but I choose my Telecasters.

7. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Friend of Leo's

I have owned a Tele, a Les Paul & 2 Strats. All 3 have great designs & have been around for 60 years. I prefer a Tele neck & electronics with a Strat body (most comfortable body on any guitar). My main guitar is a Squier 51.

2-finger and JayFreddy like this.
  8. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

The Tele is more comfortable when playing sitting down...it doesn't slide all over the place....it stays put...

Strats can be a bit slippery.... and rubbery...

9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I voted for the Les Paul.
    I love the rounded look and the carved top.
    I love Teles, too.
    I don't love Strats, every "improvement" over a Tele is an annoyance, IMO.
    I can't keep an SG in tune to save my life.
    Long scale Gretsches (Falcons, Country Clubs, some Gents) with Filtertrons sound best to me, but are clumsy to play, especially past the 14th fret.

JayFreddy and william tele like this.
  10. t guitar floyd

t guitar floyd Tele-Holic

Wow! I used to have that exact '59 Jazzmaster back in 1980! :cool:

JayFreddy likes this.
  11. t guitar floyd

t guitar floyd Tele-Holic

Oh . . . but I vote for the Strat. :)

12. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I don't have problems with either of mine.

Mr. Lumbergh likes this.
  13. JReazor

JReazor Tele-Holic

If I could nail down a best design, I would probably only own one guitar.

As it happens, I have slightly more than one guitar.

RadioFM74 and JayFreddy like this.
  14. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

For sound, to my ear and in my hands tele and strat are it. I love em' both but a tele is less needy than the strat. Simple and dependable. I have repeatedly stated what Brookdalebill said about trying to keep an SG in tune (or melody maker and other Gibsons).

And Les Paul and I never made it to first base. Feels awkward to me...and some people can make them sound amazing, but those who can't sound annoying to me.

JayFreddy likes this.
  15. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

I'm votin' Telecaster but just by a micron over Jr/Special. I guess this means I'm voting for simplicity overall.

Dzamuz likes this.
  16. craigh9

craigh9 Tele-Meister

#1 SG-perfect shape for me, controls all in the right place.
    #2 ES-335-same as SG's
    #3 Telly-can be a bit clunky, original bridge can get in the way. I don't like the modern bridge.
    #4-LP-the only thing that I don't like is where the pickup selector switch is.
    #5-Strat-volume control is in a terrible place,also pickup switching is not easy for me.
    #6-Firebirds-uncomfortable design for me, but cool looking.

jjudas and JayFreddy like this.
  17. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Which guitar is best? Apples and oranges. Not worth answering. All of them.

But which design is best? Hmm, depends on the goal.

I'd say if you wanted to cover the ground that you can with all four of these, with the least cost and least effort (both build and useability), I'd start with the Tele.

You can't get "Telecaster" from any of the others.

But you can mostly get Strat from a (Nashville) Tele. Because to me the only critical things about a Strat are that close field parallel pickup setting, like neck+middle, and that magical springs-in-cavity thing, even when the trem is decked. So, we don't get the latter, but it seems like a lot of work just to get that.

You can't get the sound of a proper Les Paul from a Tele, though. It's not about just shoving a humbucker in there.

But, if you've gone to the trouble of making a Les Paul, there's no need for the (IMO) lesser SG. Unless you want the unparalleled upper fret access in exchange for an unbalanced guitar with a weak neck. Easier and cheaper to build than the LP, but without the critical snap of the maple cap.

So, either Tele alone, or Tele and Les Paul. Depending what you want to accomplish.

18. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

PRS- you know the one I mean.
    And it pains me to say it. But nothing plays as well

Aesthetically- big archtop hollowbody. Gibson , Gretsch etc

JayFreddy likes this.
  19. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

I guess we're all different. The positioning of the controls is actually what I like the best about a Strat, especially the volume knob. I love it. I can control the volume with my little finger while I'm playing. Can't do that with a Tele or a Gibson. I've never hit the volume knob on a Strat accidentally either, in 35 years of playing one.

Mr. Lumbergh, songtalk and JayFreddy like this.
  20. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

This is so subjective. In trying to be objective, though:

The Strat has the most ergonomic body of the 4 and is the only one with a trem (most traditionally). It's also the only one with 3 pickups in standard configuration. Based on this, it may have to be the Strat.

Subjectively, however, I love the feel of the Strat but I do sometimes experience tuning issues (though I NEVER use the bar, don't even screw it in) and I love the neck pickup on mine and love the quack of the combined pickup settings.

Les Pauls sound great but I hate the baseball bat necks. However, my main guitar is a PRS Tremonti SE. So the sounds are great, but between the weight and the neck, LP's can't be the winner.

SGs have never struck a chord with me (pun unintended but still cheekily awesome). I just can't get into them for some reason.

But I have been in love with Teles since I was 14. Love the sound, feel, and versatility. And, hating trem systems, they're about as good as it gets, though Strata are more comfortable, A Nashville type Tele with traditional switching and a push-pull or toggle to engage the middle pickup for the in-between Strat sounds may be my personal perfect guitar.

All that being said, my all-time favorite neck was on a cheap, made in Hong Kong B.C. Rich Platinum Bich. I still love that guitar but I traded it in on a Gator case for my acoustic a coupla years ago. I don't regret it, but I wouldn't rule out buying a higher quality Bich in the future.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.