1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Best Grateful Dead album to start with

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by southposs, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Absolutely agree with this as a very first step, you get the very entertaining band history as well as a good sampling of the music as it progressed thru the years. The Netflix Bob Weir doc as well, The Other One.

Also agree with the repeated suggestions for American Beauty as a studio album representative, and Europe '72 for live, and Live/Dead is another real favorite; however there are endless live releases that keep coming to this day, and if you have Spotify or the like you can hear all this stuff. One I've happened on to recently is The Complete Sunshine Daydream Concert, Veneta, Oregon, 8/27/72, excellent show as well as a lot of humorous/wise-ass chatter by Weir between tunes, mostly relative to playing at this agricultural fair.

2. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Tele-Afflicted

Like a lot of other responders on this thread, I've got to go with "American Beauty" and "Workingman's Dead".

3. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Does anyone else from the Peninsula remember Mickey Hart's Drum City in San Carlos in the 60s?
    Gelb Music, in my hometown of Redwood City, was the Fender dealer, with all the Fender guitars and BF amps, but Mickey's place was the place to go to drool over all the Beatles and other British Invasion related gear- Gretsch and Ricky guitars, Vox, Ricky, Standell, and Supro amps, and of course, Ludwig, Rogers, Slingerland, and Gretsch drums.
    In 1965 those two stores were the stuff of dreams for an 11 year old guitar lover

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  4. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Afflicted

I've read that some people may have taken LSD while listening to the Dead. Just repeating what I read, I wouldn't know anything about this. :)

suave eddie likes this.
  5. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I may have done that at several concerts in the early 70s, but, strangely enough, never at one of the Dead's New Year's Eve shows at Winterland

Stanford Guitar likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.