Best Gibson-scale Guitar...

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Hamer (USA) made some good stuff, years ago.
Lots still out there.
Robin and Heritage, too.
Hamer for sure, some of the best and commonly fair priced compared to quality.
Also based on what the OP is seeming to want?
Same but different, price range, never feel like it's not good enough.
Not especially light, but is that an all maple body? It's a lot lighter than a pine squier.
Yes all maple and also all figured, more birdseye than flame but neck too, they really made some fine guitars that fly under the radar due to less known and semi custom so not easily seen in retailers. Could be the 150 is plain maple and the 160 is figured or something like that.
They don't come up used as much i think because they tend to be keepers, but also they don't sell high like bigger US names.
Lots of Carvins out there, often dual HB, always high quality, and commonly excellent value used. Not that many for sale but worth considering.

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Some Godin's are short scale (radiator and SD series), with 24 fret options.
Every Godin I've owned was nice to play. Best bang-for-buck IMO.
Still have one.
Yeah, I was reading about this Godin guitar called a Radium, which seemed like a mash-up between a Les Paul and Tele. The frustrating thing about many of these brands is there is nowhere to try them out in person.

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Hamer (USA) made some good stuff, years ago.
Lots still out there.
Robin and Heritage, too.
There was another recent post on TDPRI about Hamer. But I had a hard time finding info. Are they still in production? There is a current website, but barely any content and no links to dealers. Odd.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
There was another recent post on TDPRI about Hamer. But I had a hard time finding info. Are they still in production? There is a current website, but barely any content and no links to dealers. Odd.
I think they are made overseas somewhere these days.
They’re not at all the quality of the older MIA models.
Just sayin’.

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Yes, SG would be an obvious choice. But I don't know if I could ever get past my dislike of that silly devil-horn shape! I have always thought it was so stupid looking. I know, I know, it doesn't seem to bother anyone else. And Derek Trucks sure looks (and sounds) good holding one.

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
Hamer for sure, some of the best and commonly fair priced compared to quality.
Also based on what the OP is seeming to want?
Same but different, price range, never feel like it's not good enough.

Yes all maple and also all figured, more birdseye than flame but neck too, they really made some fine guitars that fly under the radar due to less known and semi custom so not easily seen in retailers. Could be the 150 is plain maple and the 160 is figured or something like that.
They don't come up used as much i think because they tend to be keepers, but also they don't sell high like bigger US names.
Lots of Carvins out there, often dual HB, always high quality, and commonly excellent value used. Not that many for sale but worth considering.

That birdseye is cool. Reminds me of a bigsby instrument. I'm not a humbucker player, but there are so many hb sized drop in options today, that I keep an eye on old hb guitars that have a high quality-to-popularity ratio.

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
Yes, SG would be an obvious choice. But I don't know if I could ever get past my dislike of that silly devil-horn shape! I have always thought it was so stupid looking. I know, I know, it doesn't seem to bother anyone else. And Derek Trucks sure looks (and sounds) good holding one.

You'll be happy to know that they're not devil horns, they are dual florentine cutaways. Sister Rosetta played them for the Lord, long before rockers started pretending they were devil horns.

But if you still don't like the shape, well... me neither.

gitold

Poster Extraordinaire
Reverend. Many (if not all) their guitars are Gibson-scale. Lots of humbuckers and other things available. Terms or no. Right in your budget, especially used. Lots of colors and configurations have come and gone so what's on their website now is but a small sample. Dripping cool.

Here's my Tricky Gomez RT.

View attachment 940105
+2 on Reverends all 24.75!
6A774367-6130-4894-87ED-9D82212F9509.jpeg
A42480E2-E91B-4195-8969-DEE0D5B1E769.jpeg
66A255DA-9281-4E3F-8E1C-A1230F25939C.jpeg

StevesBoogie

Tele-Afflicted
Hi Mark - hey what model Revstar did you pick up? I keep hearing great things about that guitar. I have my eye on the RS502 in black but they are all on backorder.

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Hi Mark - hey what model Revstar did you pick up? I keep hearing great things about that guitar. I have my eye on the RS502 in black but they are all on backorder.
Hi I have a 420. It’s good. Plays good, sounds good, no problem. It’s not a high-end instrument, but we’ll worth the money. No fret issues, pretty light. The pickups are sort of meh, nothing special. The higher end Revstars have different pickups that I assume are better. Those also have jumbo frets. The 420 has mediums, which I like better. I was playing it last night and it was pretty fun. But it’s got me curious what else is out there.

G.Rotten

Friend of Leo's
...not a Les Paul. Let me clarify. I'm gravitating more toward Gibson-scale guitars, and humbuckers in general. I have 2 nice teles. And a Yamaha Es335 style SH that I really like. The 335 has really hooked me on the Gibson scale. Now I'd like to investigate a solid body. Over the years I had a couple LP Studios, but they never clicked with me. Then recently I picked up a Yamaha Revstar used on CL. It's good, nothing wrong with it, absolutely worth the money, but it's not really rocking my world. So I'm sorting through other options. Anyone have something they would recommend? Nothing low-budget, nothing super expensive, thinking maybe in the $800-1,500 range? Lighter is better. It should be something I can keep for a while and not outgrow or feel like I'd need an upgrade later. Any recommendations?

Used 61 reissue SG gets my vote. Should be able to snag one within your budget.

Comfortable, light, great upper fret access (which was my biggest issue with Les Pauls).

The 57 Classics cover a wide range of musical ground. They can be clean and articulate or Ballz out Rockin.

I liked mine so much I bought another.
IMG_20211227_160042216~2.jpg

And sort of another???

I'm a habitual guitar tinkerer but the Red 61 is the only guitar I've owned long term and not modified/upgraded and I've had it ten years so far. That's the only one not modified out of over 300 guitars.

Last edited:

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Used 61 reissue SG gets my vote. Should be able to snag one within your budget.

Comfortable, light, great upper fret access (which was my biggest issue with Les Pauls).

The 57 Classics cover a wide range of musical ground. They can be clean and articulate or Ballz out Rockin.

I liked mine so much I bought another.
View attachment 940374
And sort of another???
What is special about the 61 reissue compared to all the many other SG variants?

G.Rotten

Friend of Leo's
What is special about the 61 reissue compared to all the many other SG variants?
Completely different neck profile. It also has my preferred neck joint out of the SG variations.

If you prefer large necks, this won't be the one for you. For me, it's the only one I care about. It's my favorite neck of any guitar of all time.

In truth I'm not a huge fan of Red guitars. I picked the Red 61 reissue as my first SG because it already has my favorite pickups and I liked the small pickguard. It looks good in Red.

Since buying it I've bought a half dozen not Red SGs of various models. None compared. Finally found a Black 61 just before Christmas.

Many models say they have a Slim 60's profile but I guess that's a somewhat broad term. Only the 61 reissue has this profile.

Last edited:

Flaneur

Poster Extraordinaire
In the UK, a Gordon Smith is the recommendation. Always light and super-playable.
DSCF0250.jpg

Everywhere.....Danelectros. A bit cheap feeling- which you probably didn't want- but the playability and tone are fantastic.
IMG_20171006_164500638_HDR.jpg

Melody Makers. All that Gibson goodness, in a lightweight format.
eeda34719a804bd5851fb3df45145b13_r.jpg