Best Gibson-scale Guitar...

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
...not a Les Paul. Let me clarify. I'm gravitating more toward Gibson-scale guitars, and humbuckers in general. I have 2 nice teles. And a Yamaha Es335 style SH that I really like. The 335 has really hooked me on the Gibson scale. Now I'd like to investigate a solid body. Over the years I had a couple LP Studios, but they never clicked with me. Then recently I picked up a Yamaha Revstar used on CL. It's good, nothing wrong with it, absolutely worth the money, but it's not really rocking my world. So I'm sorting through other options. Anyone have something they would recommend? Nothing low-budget, nothing super expensive, thinking maybe in the $800-1,500 range? Lighter is better. It should be something I can keep for a while and not outgrow or feel like I'd need an upgrade later. Any recommendations?

IronSchef

Tele-Afflicted
one of these might work perfect for you - 24.75" scale, set neck, HH Tele

SPECIAL EDITION CUSTOM TELECASTER® FMT HH​

https://www.fender.com/en-US/electr...tion-custom-telecaster-fmt-hh/0262004520.html

0262004520_gtr_frt_001_rr.jpg

SixStringSlinger

Poster Extraordinaire
Reverend. Many (if not all) their guitars are Gibson-scale. Lots of humbuckers and other things available. Terms or no. Right in your budget, especially used. Lots of colors and configurations have come and gone so what's on their website now is but a small sample. Dripping cool.

Here's my Tricky Gomez RT.

8430E71C-3363-4A07-AD1E-EC93F7B3DA08_1_105_c.jpeg

KC

Friend of Leo's
SG? The Tribute model is right in the middle of your price range, though I think you need to still buy a case for it. I have a Tribute Les Paul that's a fine guitar; if the SG is as good, you're not giving that much away to a Standard. I'd try to play one, anyway, and play a Standard too to see what the difference is. I've had recent Gibsons that were excellent guitars and some that were duds. It seems to come down to the individual instrument.

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire
...not a Les Paul. Let me clarify. I'm gravitating more toward Gibson-scale guitars, and humbuckers in general. I have 2 nice teles. And a Yamaha Es335 style SH that I really like. The 335 has really hooked me on the Gibson scale. Now I'd like to investigate a solid body. Over the years I had a couple LP Studios, but they never clicked with me. Then recently I picked up a Yamaha Revstar used on CL. It's good, nothing wrong with it, absolutely worth the money, but it's not really rocking my world. So I'm sorting through other options. Anyone have something they would recommend? Nothing low-budget, nothing super expensive, thinking maybe in the $800-1,500 range? Lighter is better. It should be something I can keep for a while and not outgrow or feel like I'd need an upgrade later. Any recommendations?

Well, other than their hollow and semi hollows, I think the quintessential Gibson solid body IS the les paul. There are so many variations on the theme that I can't believe you can't find one you like. I've made some chambered ones which greatly reduces the weight and I've used different pickups, but keep coming back to modern PAF clones.

IMG_2163.JPG

Last edited:

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
Many Gretsch guitars are also Gibson scale with 12" radius. My Electromatic Pro Jet 5438T for instance. It is also chambered. Very good price point unless you WANT to spend allotta money.

Chet Atkins.jpg

Last edited:

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
60s/70s guilds - s-100, solidbody m-75, starfires (semis), older m/ce/t series (if you're open to hollowbody), etc.

about as chunky as 50s/60s gibsons but with a fender-ish nut width of 1-5/8". best profiles ever. the guild mini hums are great, but their regular hums are a little eh. i would replace the latter with a proper PAF clone (and keep the original pickups in the case).

i had never seen/played guild electrics IRL until i was like 20 something. had i known earlier i’d definitely rather have an s-100 instead of an SG, and maybe a starfire instead of a 335. they just feel like "home" more than an equivalent gibson, and the quality is the same.

still very affordable, less than many modern gibsons (can often be had below 1500 or thereabouts depending on model).

Last edited:

VonBonfire

Tele-Holic

Gonna have a tough time outdoing your Yamaha at your stated price point. Semi-hollow Yamaha SA series is a daaaaaaaaang nice guitar.