Best Fuzz for 60’s Spaghetti Western

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by C.A. Melo, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've built two Fuzzrite clones and don't think either of them is particularly noisy. It's a butt-simple build and they both sound authentic to me.

BBill64, ndeli55 and C.A. Melo like this.
  2. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

by the way, did you read the comments on that video? there's a threaded reply about the instrument used to make that sound. One guy says it's a 6-string Danelectro bass played by Grady Martin through a bad channel with too much gain. Voilà, fuzz. So you might try a JHS Color Box:

400 bones, though

cnlbb and C.A. Melo like this.
  3. C.A. Melo

C.A. Melo Tele-Meister

That's an awesome pedal man! Just too big for my board...sadly.

4. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

What you want is a Maestro clone. That's the mid-60s garage fuzz that the Yardbirds, etc. used. It's the one used on Satisfaction.

Don't Worry About Me was done with a faulty mixing board. Grady Martin figured out why it was overloading and sold the circuit to Gibson, who then produced the Maestro pedal. So you really can't get any closer to that sound than the Maestro.

Chunkocaster, Fearnot and C.A. Melo like this.
  5. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

cut speaker cone? This song predated fuzz pedals. My first fuzz pedal was around 65 IIRC

C.A. Melo likes this.
  6. Chmason85

Chmason85 TDPRI Member

Check out the new Way Huge "smalls," they have the AP about half the size now

C.A. Melo likes this.
  7. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

I really like octavia fuzz for spaghetti western sound, think of Frank vs Harmonica final duel in Once upon a time in the west.
    What i always use are foxx tone machine clones where you can have either normal fuzz or octa fuzz.
    These are 3 cheap and not bad at all models
    Movall octupuzz.
    Danelectro french toast
    Joyo ultimate octave

Modman68 likes this.
  8. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

When I heard the tune I instantly thought bad voice coil or torn suspension.. Doesn't sound like fuzz at all to me.

9. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Fuzzes are weird, cranky beasts that sound good in some setups, lousy in others... or sound great on their own, and disappear in a band context.

I've had some good luck with a Super Fuzz knockoff (setting #2 is pretty buzzy) and I have a really decent FuzzFace germanium mini-pedal I got for $10. But lately, I've had my eyes on the Catalinbread Fuzzrite, WH Havalina or the JHS Bonetender. But I honestly have no idea if or how those would work for me. Buy from someone with an easy-return policy!

10. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Afflicted

I read that it was a bad preamp in the mixing board. Marty's vocal track was so good they decided to keep the lead track rather than re-record everything.

11. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Afflicted

12. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Afflicted

13. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

I'm also still trying to figure out why that song is being called spaghetti western in this thread. Not even close.

Fearnot and Hexabuzz like this.
  14. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Holic

cnlbb likes this.
  15. C.A. Melo

C.A. Melo Tele-Meister

NO WAY!!!

Chmason85 likes this.
  16. Chmason85

Chmason85 TDPRI Member

Yep, they call it the "Mk III," but its exactly the same thing, except it doesn't have the convenient little battery door. There's also a Russian Pickle and they brought back the Blue Hippo chorus

C.A. Melo likes this.
  17. LukeRiverside

LukeRiverside TDPRI Member

Hey everybody. I don't know if this thread is dead, but I thought I would chime in. from 2016-2018 I worked on the soundtrack for Red Dead Redemption 2 for Rockstar videogames. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the game, it is basically "The Man With No Name" trilogy in videogame form. To that end, Rockstar wanted to music to be very heavily influenced by the spaghetti western soundtracks.

What I can tell you from my research and practical experience, is that the fuzz you want is the Fuzzrite. This is what Alessandro Allessandroni used (along with a Telecaster and Jaguar) for all of the Ennio Morricone soundtracks that he worked on. Catlinbread collaborated with the creator of the original (Mosrite) Fuzzrite to make the most accurate clone that they could. This is what we used on a lot of the soundtrack. One trick that we used a lot was to put it in front of a wah. That way could could open it up and get some really amazing tones out of it.

I hope this helps.

18. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

That's really cool, thanks for posting. Really great score to the game as well, huge thanks to all involved. I have the live RDR2 show with Doyle Bramhall II queued up on my Youtube account for when I get chance to give it proper attention!

19. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I was going to say that the Fuzzrite circuit is like, ridiculously simple. I'd find a clone of one on the cheaper side of things, and have someone tweak it for less noise, if needed. IMO, probably adding some emitter resistors (because there are none) would drop a bit of noise, most likely w/o compromising much in the way of max gain/fuzz.

The only other thing that I'd add is I'd personally seek out a clone that uses negative ground, because the real deal had positive ground because it used PNP transistors. Since equivalent NPN transistors will provide the exact same sound, IMO there is no reason to go with a pedal that you can't provide external power to.

BBill64 and 4pickupguy like this.
  20. markos

markos TDPRI Member

They probably used the Italian-built 2-transistor Vox Tone Bender in the soundtracks, though we might never know for sure. In any case, that'll get you bright and authentic fuzz of that period.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.