Best Fender amp for 60's country music sound.

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by lwaun, Oct 12, 2019.

1. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic

You can get it done with that Tweed Blues Jr.

2. Les H

Les H Tele-Holic

Here it can be done with a PV amp and headless Steinberger type guitar.

Like Eric Clapton once sang: Its In The Way That You Use It.

3. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Too brown, no?

4. lwaun

lwaun Tele-Meister

Sold blues jr and put money into tone master deluxe reverb.

5. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic

I think you made a good choice.

lwaun likes this.
  6. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Meister

Been using this little guy on a number of lower volume gigs: Super Champ DX, running 6l6s 9I know trannies don't put out enough power to the 6l6s to get all they're capable of, but I love their tonality), and my last JBL D110F. The result? I only use the clean channel, and it just doesn't break up, even at volume settings of 7.5-8- usually I run it at about 6 and get plenty of clean Fendery goodness. _561.JPG

ndcaster likes this.
  7. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Yeah, the 40+ Watt Fenders W/JBL's were everywhere in the mid 60's to 70's.

I've seen them in many configurations beyond stock at that, especially 1X15" JBL'd Twins/Supers/Pros seemed to be a very common mod.

8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

It you don’t need to compete with other louder instruments, I always thought Super Reverbs had the best clean Fender tone.
    If you do need to compete, only a Twin will do, IMO.

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  9. jwp2

jwp2 Tele-Holic

Twin reverb, either an original or Reissue.

10. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Can some rich dude just install good Fender Twins from the earlier Sixties as backline amps in all reputable known dance halls and honky tonks in the US? There aren't that many left. We'd be done here!

A fella can dream, can't he?

Telecastoff1 and jwp2 like this.
  11. pirate19

pirate19 TDPRI Member

Thinking of doing the same...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

lwaun likes this.
  12. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

I would go with a late 60's Pro Reverb or Vibrolux Reverb. The Pro is generally cheaper & has a bit more headroom. The Deluxe Reverb will always work, but 6L6 tubes have more clarity. An early Bandmaster Reverb would also work great.

lwaun and nocastermike like this.
  13. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

a twin reverb such as the one i just worked on for my friend, guy devillez. it is a 68 and includes the famous jbl d120f speakers. he bought the amp and a 72 tele from the same person. here is a youtube of him playing after the repair of the amp.

play music!

jwp2 likes this.
  14. deytookerjaabs

He's missing one thing: the tone-suck coily cable :D

That's the secret sauce: JBL + Fender + Coil Cable. Or, at least that's the sound broadcast all throughout homes in the 60's from the Buck Owens program to the Johnny Cash show. Over & over you see a JBL cone inside a Fender with an overstretched coil cable to the guitar.

Kind of interesting, cable sucks highs, JBL adds highs, all put together for a clean sound with a bit of rasp to it!

15. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

that's funny!

haven't had a coiled cable in many years. they broke so easily i just threw them away. just like those coiled garden hoses.

play music!

deytookerjaabs likes this.
  16. deytookerjaabs

I got a box a couple years ago with three vintage coil cables. The box belonged to an uncle who used to play. I was really excited to check them out when I got home but all three were dead and the solder ends were still in tact.

So much for that! I got the vintage type Lava cable as a gift and holy smokes it does muffle the tone quite a bit, which is intentional. However I used a Vox coil cable a couple times and it's effect wasn't as drastic as the Lava. The Lava does have a lifetime warranty though, lol, but I rarely touch it.

17. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

that lead taken on that headless Steinberger sounds like nothing close to the classic ‘Tele through a Twin Reverb’ sound that was THE sound of country music back in the day. Note that Buck is still playing through a fender tube amp....and you can hear the difference when he plays the single note walk back into the vocal section at the end of the lead. That is the only classic country tone I hear there....except for Buck’s voice, of course.

there is only one way to get that classic ‘60’s country lead guitar sound.....and that is through a a fender all tube reverb amp. Depending on the volume requirements, that could be any Fender Reverb amp from the Princeton reverb on through the Twin Reverb.....but the TR is the ONE that can do that sound at any volume.

Telecastoff1, Hatfield92 and muscmp like this.
  18. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Imho, there is only one way to get that classic ‘60’s country lead guitar sound.....and that is through a a fender all tube reverb amp. Depending on the volume requirements, that could be any Fender Reverb amp from the Princeton reverb on through the Twin Reverb.....but the TR is the ONE that can do that sound at any volume.
    Here is a cut of reality...the ‘lead’ takes place very quickly at about 1:15.....

Telecastoff1, muscmp and Bill Moore like this.
  19. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Holic

Wow...Don Rich's playing with his Tele thru a Twin Reverb is THE sound! It always puts a huge smile on my face and I still get goose bumps! It was THAT sound and tone I strived for when I was a kid of 11 just starting out to gig.

Bill Moore and Wally like this.
  20. Tommyd55

Tommyd55 Tele-Meister

“My guitars have pretty much stayed the same, but with amps I’ve been all over the place. For the show, someone suggested Kenny and I go to a silverface Fender Princeton. I did, and I add a little boost on top, and that’s it. We use them on the show, and that’s all I used on the record. I’ve found the true tone of my guitar in that Princeton. It’s the way to go for what I’m up to. It rings like a bell and in the control room, it’s tight and bigger than the world. I’ll use it on gigs, too, unless the room is too big. Then I’ll go back to a couple of Fender Twins.”

Marty Stuart
    https://www.vintageguitar.com/8547/marty-stuart-3/

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.