Best Fender amp for 60's country music sound.

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by lwaun, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Like the 2x10 DR up there , you could get a DRRI and dial it in with your speaker choice - even sticking with the stock 1x12 set up.

2. sleeperNY

sleeperNY TDPRI Member

Back when Buck Owens and Don rich were starting to work together they both played through Buck's Bassman. As they started to gain in popularity and buck formed the Buckaroos they were backed by Fender and they played through Twin Reverb amps with JBL speakers. I think the Twin is the amp for classic country music.

Jim

Telecastoff1 and Mike Eskimo like this.
  3. Les H

Les H Tele-Holic

Twin Reverb is the logical choice but I don't know if it is the definitive answer.

It's more about technique than what amp you use.

It's the overlooked things like consistently new strings in a lighter gauge and the thickness of your pick that will help enhance twang more than anything. Dead strings and extra heavy picks won't twang any better on a Twin/Deluxe Reverb than a Pignose.

I have a twin reverb and I played in basically a Bakersfield Sound tribute band. After a while I just started using my PV Bandit. At the volumes we were playing there was much if any difference in the tone of the 2 amps and at half the weight the PV was the logical choice. The only difference in the 2 was the Twin "looked appropriate". So we started incorporating 70s material lol!

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  4. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I used a '68 Deluxe Reverb ( with high efficiency Emi Red, White, and Blues) or my 1999 Blues Junior ( w/ 120 watt Emi Neo 12") with equal success when I was in a Classic Country band - just went for portable and clean ( and as loud as needed)
    * Tele with fresh 10's and Tortex .73 picks ( same thickness as a Fender Medium- which I use on acoustic)

5. KnopflerStyle

KnopflerStyle Tele-Afflicted

Keep in mind Wattss....

Twin Reverb is cool but you cant use it at home, since the volume that you need will blow your wife applepie.

f ( price , watts , style ) = Amp. Brand

Practice at home--> Blackstar HTR1 MKII or HTR5 MKII (it has 0.5W option, works very well)

Home / Studio --> Princeton Reverb (try the 10" and 12"). I have found 3 very good choices here ( Blackstar Artist HT5 MK2 , if you want more Fenderish maybe the Blackstar Artist 15 , it has 6L6s inside or try the studio version (10W) with 6L6s too).

Isolated basement at home + Small Gig --> Deluxe Reverb 65 BF or SF

Very Big Gigs and you dont have problems carrying heavy things --> Twin Reverb

Very Big Gigs and you dont want to carry big things --> Try the Twin Reverb Tone Master (i havent played it )

lwaun likes this.
  6. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

QUOTE="cigarman513, post: 9368220, member: 109372"]
    Dale Watson uses Mustangs.....[/QUOTE]

No Kidding!!?? I saw him years ago - he was playing through SF Twin....

7. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Meister

In addition to the 71 DR, I also have 1968 Drip Edge TR. When I got it, one of the stock speakers was damaged, so it was recone or replace. I decided to replace, and since weight, at my semi-advanced age is a strong consideration, I opted for a pair of Jensen Tornado Stealth 100 watt neos. Tonally, the provide the sparkle and chime the Twin is famous for, along with a focused, full bottom end (sorta like Mama). Weight-wise, they shave off about 10-12 lb, so the Twin is sveldt 60-63 lb.- quite manageable.

8. beachbreak

beachbreak TDPRI Member

Merle Haggard and bandmates used Bassman's in concert I saw on AXS.

9. powerwagonjohn

powerwagonjohn Tele-Meister

I was just playing my tele through my 1962 Fender Pro and it seems to work just fine. You saw a lot of Pros on stage in the old 60's country shows.
    thanks John

10. Straydogger

Straydogger Tele-Holic

Here are some ideas............Peavey was a popular one...

11. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Meister

Ten is too heavy and too loud.

Deluxe Reverb.

With the ideal steel player in the quartet, I use a Victoria Tweed Deluxe with a Boss ‘63 Fender Reverb Pedal. Turned up to 3, I get all the volume andtone I want with my Tele. I played a festival earlier this month. Backline Amps were a Twin and Blues Deluxe. I can’t stand the Blues Deluxe, so I used the Twin. Too loud at 3. I didn’t feel like taking my Deluxe Reverb.

Twins don’t sound good until they are at 5+.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  12. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Gonna toss this in here. A few Peavey Pedal Steel 1-15" combos that will get that done in spades.

Just ask Redd Volkaert if an LTD 400 would get it done.

"Buck Owen's and Johnny Cash"

To me this spells Bakerfield, Near any low sag amp with the right speakers should get there as well. Or non low sag with too much power, as noted above, "if you don't mind hauling around too much amp". Or too much speaker in a lot cases, JBL, EMI, Weber Cali, yada...

I'd also agree with the Joyo American with about any amp, especially with certain voiced speaker would also get you there. As long as the amp has enough power to get loud enough before it gets it's hair on...

Remember to pick and dig close to those saddles... ;)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    Telecastoff1 likes this.
  13. beachbreak

beachbreak TDPRI Member

Matt, what don't you like about the Fender BDRI?

I was considering buying one along with other candidates.

14. lwaun

lwaun Tele-Meister

Well just to end this thread I did order the Deluxe Reverb tone master. I want the attenuation and the lite weight as I live on the 3rd floor with no elevator.

15. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

I agree, I'm enjoying an early Twin with D120s now. I almost always noodle-warm up with a little Buckaroo. Very satisfying. We can get the same tone with smaller Fenders too, as shared. The circuit and speakers must be most of the equation, combined with single coils and technique. Its really a blessing that you can pickup a silver face, and a modest telecaster both for about $1000, and pretty much nail the million dollar tones that formed so much of American music. Highly recommended.

Both my Twins work fine at home, the bar, and on the square. Even though it seems to be widely believed, I don't agree with the Twin-must-be-cranked-but-too-loud-for-non-stadium-use myth. Twins were designed to sound like they sound thru most of the volume range. Who uses a Twin for breakup? Even Garcia went to McIntoshes to stay clean at volumes well above his Twins. Don't discount Twins. They were the top seller, and longest running model of all time for a reason - they work very well for a majority of folks.

16. Larry K. Williams

Larry K. Williams Tele-Meister

The last two times, this year, that I've seen Dale live, he was using a Deluxe Reissue.

cigarman513 likes this.
  17. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

in the 80's we played hag and buck etc... I had a bf super and it sounded awesome... a phase shifter and a plugin seiko tuner... I was set for the night.

skradlee likes this.
  18. skradlee

skradlee TDPRI Member

I have the Joyo AC tone that my friend gave me when I bought his OCD and guess what? The OCD has since been sold and the AC tone has made a permanent spot on the board. They're clones of the Tech 21 Sansamp line and they're fantastic pedals.

getbent likes this.
  19. cigarman513

cigarman513 Tele-Meister

wow, he's moving up.

I'm so upset. I've wanted to see him for 2 years..This weekend he comes to town and I never go away, the one night I go away he comes to town in a little bar. Sorry to change the subject

20. KnopflerStyle

KnopflerStyle Tele-Afflicted

Hey, what about the super sonic?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.