Best Fender amp for 60's country music sound.

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by lwaun, Oct 12, 2019.

1. lwaun

lwaun Tele-Meister

I know the Vox hasn’t a chance but I tried the blues junior with the preamp turned right down. It was clean but definitely lacks that clean sparkle a blackface has.
    So yup I know you guys are right.

2. lwaun

lwaun Tele-Meister

Agreed

3. Alter

Alter Tele-Meister

Pro reverb could also work. If any amp could be called a mini twin that's it! And you could try the new non-tube Twin reverb, if it works for you problem solved..

lwaun likes this.
  4. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Afflicted

I heard a guy at a gig recently playing some great country licks with a Tele though a tweed Blues Jnr- sounded very old school '60s.

lwaun likes this.
  5. lwaun

lwaun Tele-Meister

I agree the day of the big heavy amps is coming to a close but I want to hang onto my tube amps. But I notice you mentioned the tone masters. I didn’t know they existed until tonight. They sure sound and look like the real thing.

I like the fact they have the power attenuation that means I could use them at home for practice.
    But the thought of giving up my tube amps for a digital rig makes me sad.

But maybe I should join the 21st century.

Fretting out likes this.
  6. The Angry Possum

The Angry Possum Tele-Meister

Fender Vibroverb Reissue.
    Vibroverb_BRN_Reissue-63.jpg

lwaun likes this.
  7. lwaun

lwaun Tele-Meister

I have the
    Umm someone mentioned to me the super champ x2 has the one clean channel that is all tube no digital processing in that channel.

Can anyone comment on them

8. lwaun

lwaun Tele-Meister

Looks great.

d barham likes this.
  9. lwaun

lwaun Tele-Meister

The Bakersfield and Cash sound is what I’m after. I prefer the bridge pickup and and have been also practicing on that pickup with the tweed jr but it misses that twang. I have the Marshall silver jubilee studio model but I don’t even plug the telecaster into it. I have a les Paul for that amp.

So the deluxe reverb can do it.

Bowpickins likes this.
  10. lwaun

lwaun Tele-Meister

Really okay I’ve know very little about Tweed Bassman’s or Bandmaster Reverb’s.

Now I’ll research them to.

11. lwaun

lwaun Tele-Meister

I have the Marshall Studio silver jubilee model and I use it more on clean channel than on overdrive but I love that amp as it has more overdrive than I could ever ask for.

12. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

There isn't much reason to contemplate any solid state amp other than this 20191014_010849.jpg
    Possibly ever.
    But it's not the same animal as a BF Fender. IMO, the reverb on the bandit is nice n splashy, underrated. But the dynamics and texture of the clean channel of a BF Fender is absolutely the way to go for 60s country.
    I own a Bandit, obviously. I've played the snot out of borrowed Deluxes, bf, sf, and reissues. The BF fenders are where it's at.
    The reissues routinely sell south of $600 on reverb. Twins CAN go for that or lower, but due to shipping costs, you see local pickup only alot on them.

Happy hunting.

Straydogger and lwaun like this.
  13. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Twin. Had one for 17 years. Very clean highs , I put that down to the 6l6 tubes/valves and it's power output. Very clean sound for twang.

lwaun and Telecastoff1 like this.
  14. teleman55

teleman55 Tele-Holic

Yeah the Twin. Or the Pro, Super, Deluxe, etc., depends on how much volume you need.
    Or a Bandit.

lwaun and Telecastoff1 like this.
  15. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

If we exclude the Twin, the Deluxe Reverb seems the ideal candidate. But make sure you also try a Vibrolux. They sound heavenly, and certainly can get you the snap and twang you’re after.

Fender heads are also to be considered, if you do not depend very much on reverb or have no problems getting a pedal for that. I have a BF Tramolux with 2x10 cab that is a close relative to Vibrolux and sounds great. A Bandmaster is slightly firmer as it has the solid state rectifier, is designed for 2x12, and there’s plenty on the market. I’ve heard excellent things also of the Bassman head.

You have plenty of choice ;D

lwaun likes this.
  16. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Holic

Vintage clean Country is all my band has played for many years. We still play thru Fender Twins and Peavey amps. We're old guys now, but we play what we like and what we're used to, even if the amps have put on a few pounds over the years. So have we, hahaha. I do own a really nice Vibrolux reverb amp. It sounds great at home, but to be truthfully honest, it doesn't have the balls for 98% of the gigs we do, and it's not that much lighter than my Twins anyway. I just keep it cause it's cool. But my go-to and gigging amps are my old Fender SF Twins and Peavey Special 130 amps for really good Country sounds and twang with my Telecasters.

Ricky D. and jguitarman like this.
  17. Alter

Alter Tele-Meister

That is not the case, the preamp is digital for both channels, the power amp is tubes. The second channel has the dsp modeling as well.

RadioFM74 and lwaun like this.
  18. teletail

teletail Tele-Meister

I had a twin this year for about a month. What a sweet sound, but after moving it a couple of times I just realized that it's not for me. I bought it for $500 and sold it for $500. It was the reissue, in pristine condition.

lwaun likes this.
  19. cigarman513

cigarman513 Tele-Meister

For cheap, and GREAT, the Super Champ X2

Dale Watson uses Mustangs.....

snottyboy and lwaun like this.
  20. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

All of the Blackface Fenders has a similar sound, just in different sizes. A twin reverb will be an impractical solution for 99% of guitar players, but any of that family will get you there. Princeton, Deluxe, Vibroluxe, Pro Reverb, Super Reverb, Twin, Vibroverb... etc. etc.

Realistically, I feel like a Deluxe Reverb is a great way to go. 22 watts should be plenty for any real world scenario. It's small enough where you can play it at home, and realistically in 2019, you are going to mic it at gigs any way.

I'll say as a sleeper option, you can sometimes find good deals on the old Ampeg guitar amps (Reverbrocket, Gemini, etc.). Those can also get you there for sure.

Your mileage may vary...

Bowpickins, lwaun and Denton like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.