Best European source for Princeton Reverb kit

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by i384, Aug 26, 2020.

1. i384

i384 TDPRI Member

Hi, new here, long time reader.

I currently have a PRRI but interested in taking on a project and building a hand wired Princeton reverb.

I'm based in Ireland, so getting kits from the States can be cost prohibitive with shipping, different transformers, customs, etc.

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a source in Europe for Princeton Kits? Or more specifically, any views on which seller makes the highest quality kits in terms of components, etc.?

My understanding is that Tube Amp Doctor (TAD) and Uraltone use better components than Modulus. However, out of the two, I'm not sure which to go with.

TAD use their own branded transformers and Orange Drop type caps. Uraltone use Hammond Transformers and Mallory 150 caps. Would one be better over the other?

I'm also tempted to use all metal film resistors to make the amp as quiet as possible.

Any views or info on other sources welcome.
    For those interested, this will be going into a walnut cab with a 12 inch speaker cutout - speaker will probably be a WGS G12C.

Here's what the PRRI currently looks like in that cab.

[​IMG]

brogh likes this.
  2. oldfish

oldfish Tele-Holic

try ampmaker look on there website used them a few times good price kits and transformers and fast delivery

3. i384

i384 TDPRI Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't see a Princeton kit on his site, but maybe I'm not looking hard enough! His "Double six" does sound interesting though.

4. brogh

brogh Moderator Staff Member

radiocaster likes this.
  5. i384

i384 TDPRI Member

Thanks for that, already have Modulus in my list, have heard lots of great things about them. Wasn't aware that tube town did lots - not sure of the do a PR but will keep an eye!

I guess the main thing for me is to get the best quality components in a kit, without having to source individual parts myself (insofar as possible). Avoiding chinese sockets, etc. Hoping for this to be my long term, end-game amp.

6. Lynxtrap

Lynxtrap Tele-Holic

Between TAD and Uraltone, I would go with the latter. Small firm (compared to TAD), and they are passionate about what they do, not focused on pushing any own branded products, easy to communicate with. Hammond and Mallory seems fine to me.

There is also nordstromaudio.se, a one-man operation in Sweden, he sells PR kits. No info on components on the webb site, but I'm sure he will tell you anything you want to know if you drop him an email.

i384 likes this.
  7. i384

i384 TDPRI Member

Thanks for the suggestion, I had a look at nordstromaudio too, though I am leaning towards the Uraltone kit at the moment.
    I got a good deal on a Jensen Neo 12-100 (older non-Tornado model), so I'll see how that sounds with the reissue when it arrives, and will decide on whether or not I order a WGS G12C with the Princeton kit from Uraltone.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.